In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

GM 8 Speed Transmission. On the new GM 1500 Trucks

Hello Everyone. 

I had a question in regards to GM's 8 Speed Transmission. I'm looking into buy a Chevy Silverado, with the RST package. I've notice that package comes with the 8 speed transmission. However, I have look up online, as well as on here, and I've notice people having a lot of problems with that transmission. I also heard that they have done a fix with that transmission. My question is has any one bought the new body style Chevy truck with the 8 speed transmission and have  had any problems with it? Did they actually fix it? What are your thoughts? I'm also looking at other packages as well without this transmission too. 

Thanks! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2019 w/ 5.3 Z71 package.  8500 mi to date and no issues with transmission. Only thing I see is there is no transmission dipstick to check the fluid.  I was advised that that is a dealer only check....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How does it compare to Ford's 10-speed?  I talked to one Ford guy and he said that his sometimes has to sit there trying to hunt round trying to find the best gear.  He said sometimes it's annoying.  The last time I ever owned anything with an 8-speed was in an Audi A4 and that thing ran sweet, but I've never had any trucks with an 8-speed yet.  All the GM vehicle's I've ever owned either had 4-speed auto's or 6-speed manual's.

I went from an 02 Silverado 1500 4.8 4x4 4 spd auto to a 2020 LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3 8 spd. This transmission is a dream. Smooth yet firm, very responsive, and very fuel efficient package. I was a bit hesitant about the 8 spd after all the forums I read but realized that there was a huge majority of 8 spd transmission owners who were completely satisfied. I am now 1 of them and you most likely would be also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just check for leaks or other issues.  Look how Ford has come out with those 2020 Explorers and lots of people are having transmission leaks.  Something about the valve bodies messed up or something.  That's why I never like buying the first year of any vehicle.  Early adopters always get penalized.  I like buying things that are tried and true.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2019 Sierra SLE (new Gen.) with 9k miles on it. 

Had nothing but pain with their 8 speed tranny.

Had the tranny fluid replaced, flushed and the shuddering/jerking issue is still there.

Brought to service a 5th time, looks like the torque-converter is the next thing they'll be replacing.

Somehow I doubt that will fix the problem...

• 2 weeks later...

My truck has the 19' 1500 4x4 5.3L with the 8speed and i constantly have a hard catch, notchy feeling shift between first and second at low speeds at various times.  Like it doesn't catch and then lurches forward or back (if in reverse).  Taken it the dealer several times and because the techs can't 'replicate it' I'm SOL.

Edited by Ecochef

On 12/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, Ecochef said:

My truck has the 19' 1500 4x4 5.3L with the 8speed and i constantly have a hard catch, notchy feeling shift between first and second at low speeds at various times.  Like it doesn't catch and then lurches forward or back (if in reverse).  Taken it the dealer several times and because the techs can't 'replicate it' I'm SOL.

Thats the biggest 8 Speed issue on the 2019+ trucks. New fluid helps, there is a service bulletin but they have to keep the truck over night. 

Im trading my 8 speed for a 10 speed. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, TeamSaris said:

Thats the biggest 8 Speed issue on the 2019+ trucks. New fluid helps, there is a service bulletin but they have to keep the truck over night. 

Im trading my 8 speed for a 10 speed. 

I traded my truck in for a 21 with the 6.2L with the 10spd.  So far so good.