OK, so...

I know some folks think the ring and pinion in the rear diff is the cause of the vibrations in our trucks. Some of you have had them replaced by GM...but how do we know the replacement parts aren't also out of spec? After some research I found two aftermarket replacements, one by Motive Gear and another by American Axle. Anyone adventurous enough to try one of these?

American Axle:

http://www.demandaam.com/product-catalog/axle/ring-pinion-gear-sets

Motive Gear:

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-127200-gm-9-5-motive-gear-ring-pinion-3-42-ratio.html

Getting very discouraged with my new truck shopping! GM... Get your Sh*t together! I had a 2011 LT All Star with 20" wheels..... for 30,000 of its miles I had a bad vibration with it, smooth road vibration! It had the Goodyear LS2's on it, through the course of time I had several tires replaced by the dealer, didn't resolve! I eventually said screw it and put Michelin LTX M/S2's on it... it not only solved the vibration issue, the truck rode impeccably! I now loved my truck! I kept it for another 16 months. Not a vibration at ANY speed whatsoever!

I sold my 2011 nearly a month ago... I am in the process of searching for a replacement. This is the discouraging part....

I found (2) 2015 Silverado's that appear to me, both High Country models, one of them with the chrome 20" wheels (yes, with the garbage Goodyear LS2's & the 5.3 6spd trans, the other truck with GM's 22" wheels that have Bridgestone Duelers on them & the 6.2 8spd trans. I demanded that I road test them on the expressway, on varying pavement types... THEY BOTH HAVE VIBRATION ISSUES ON SMOOTH PAVEMENT! The 20" Goodyear LS2's being the worst! A $56,000 MSRP truck, the $62,000 MSRP truck vibrates as well.... not as bad!

I highway drive, this is insanity.... I need a truck, the current incentives are expiring this Friday July 31, 2015... who knows what August will bring. Who knows if I do buy, if the issue(s) will be resolved?

Do I risk, do I shop elsewhere?.......

Puzzled about this FAILURE of "Quality Control" GM.... SHAME ON YOU!

I regret selling my 2011...

I won't get a Dodge, but I may entertain a Ford. I am from a GM family, parents are both GM retiree's and I had 11 years there at Cadillac HQ in QC.

Edited by mundfund
  • Like 1

OK, so...

I know some folks think the ring and pinion in the rear diff is the cause of the vibrations in our trucks. Some of you have had them replaced by GM...but how do we know the replacement parts aren't also out of spec? After some research I found two aftermarket replacements, one by Motive Gear and another by American Axle. Anyone adventurous enough to try one of these?

American Axle:

http://www.demandaam.com/product-catalog/axle/ring-pinion-gear-sets

Motive Gear:

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-127200-gm-9-5-motive-gear-ring-pinion-3-42-ratio.html

If I remember correct American Axle is who makes the gears for GM in these trucks.

Getting very discouraged with my new truck shopping! GM... Get your Sh*t together! I had a 2011 LT All Star with 20" wheels..... for 30,000 of its miles I had a bad vibration with it, smooth road vibration! It had the Goodyear LS2's on it, through the course of time I had several tires replaced by the dealer, didn't resolve! I eventually said screw it and put Michelin LTX M/S2's on it... it not only solved the vibration issue, the truck rode impeccably! I now loved my truck! I kept it for another 16 months. Not a vibration at ANY speed whatsoever!

I sold my 2011 nearly a month ago... I am in the process of searching for a replacement. This is the discouraging part....

I found (2) 2015 Silverado's that appear to me, both High Country models, one of them with the chrome 20" wheels (yes, with the garbage Goodyear LS2's & the 5.3 6spd trans, the other truck with GM's 22" wheels that have Bridgestone Duelers on them & the 6.2 8spd trans. I demanded that I road test them on the expressway, on varying pavement types... THEY BOTH HAVE VIBRATION ISSUES ON SMOOTH PAVEMENT! The 20" Goodyear LS2's being the worst! A $56,000 MSRP truck, the $62,000 MSRP truck vibrates as well.... not as bad!

I highway drive, this is insanity.... I need a truck, the current incentives are expiring this Friday July 29, 2015... who knows what August will bring. Who knows if I do buy, if the issue(s) will be resolved?

Do I risk, do I shop elsewhere?.......

Puzzled about this FAILURE of "Quality Control" GM.... SHAME ON YOU!

I regret selling my 2011...

I won't get a Dodge, but I may entertain a Ford. I am from a GM family, parents are both GM retiree's and I had 11 years there at Cadillac HQ in QC.

That would trouble me too but I would still want to see what kind of deal I could get and take it from there... Mine has the GM 22" wheels with the Bridgestone Duelers and had the 70-75 mph vibes, but after a tire rotation and re-balance it has been fine... I realize it may come back but I am happy for now... Of course getting the truck for 13.5k under MSRP and what they gave me for my 2004 Avalanche helps a lot... If the numbers are working for you, make the deal contingent on the vibe issue if that's possible?... Have them fix it before you sign or look for the same truck elsewhere... May give you more time... Good Luck to you...

That would trouble me too but I would still want to see what kind of deal I could get and take it from there... Mine has the GM 22" wheels with the Bridgestone Duelers and had the 70-75 mph vibes, but after a tire rotation and re-balance it has been fine... I realize it may come back but I am happy for now... Of course getting the truck for 13.5k under MSRP and what they gave me for my 2004 Avalanche helps a lot... If the numbers are working for you, make the deal contingent on the vibe issue if that's possible?... Have them fix it before you sign or look for the same truck elsewhere... May give you more time... Good Luck to you...

"13.5k under MSRP"

Nice! Before taxes?_________ or with taxes and all fee's as in out the door 13.5k under MSRP?__________

no they had the regional GM rep drive my truck, he is saying that everything is "normal operation" and they are refusing to do anything. but while saying that everything is "normal operation" he said that I have drive train vibration, go figure. it was him who recommended that I drive in "M5" to reduce the vibration from the AFM and that was relayed to me through my dealer service rep. I have been trying it, and it has absolutely killed my fuel economy. So apparently they don't want us driving our truck like they were designed to be.

What kind of driving do you do? is it heavy traffic (stop & go) or real freeway?

both... most of my time has been spent on the freeway going 80+ so it is getting over 20 then...unloaded

make them put on the vibration computer... they have one and they just sent out a new software update for it. It will tell them exactly what is wrong with it. A regional rep is not a machine. Or find a dealer that has one and will put it on and go for a ride. They have certian frequencies that point to what is wrong... like earlier it wasn't tires it was the rear end and it was fixed for about 3k miles then the vibes came back and the computer tells them now it is the tires again... you would think that they would just replace those crappy tires and be done with it... for whatever reason they just do not go with these trucks...

"13.5k under MSRP"

Nice! Before taxes?_________ or with taxes and all fee's as in out the door 13.5k under MSRP?__________

It was before Taxes and Shipping... There were no Fees... It was the simplest vehicle I have ever purchased... Bought it off Ebay from Jim Faulk Motors (jfmnational) out of Missouri... After Rebates, Incentives and it being a DEMO model with 1800 miles on it, the MSRP was 53k and the Ebay Ad was for 40.5k... After a few phone calls and not even asking, they went down to 39.5k.. The phone calls were about shipping and talking back and forth with the wife... They do their own shipping and it was $800 to NJ... I still had to pay NJ taxes when I registered the Vehicle... Rod was my Salesman and was awesome... I asked if I wasn't happy for what ever reason upon delivery what would happen... He says politely "Sorry it didn't work out and have a nice day"... NO cost at all for shipping and a refund of the $500 deposit... Just checked and they have (2) Black Brand New High Country's for 10k under MSRP.. Here's a link..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-MSRP-58780-4WD-High-Country-Sunroof-GPS-Black-Crew-/381345175173?forcerrptr=true&hash=item58c9f19685&item=381345175173

Edited by Mcarlo24

"13.5k under MSRP"

Forgot to mention they gave me 14k for my 2004 Avalanche with 68K miles...

Edited by Mcarlo24

Never post on the internet before coffee or after alcohol, especially excessive amounts :)

LOL... I failed to mention accompanied with a strong pain pill for a recent medical situation. I'm here now, back on earth with 3 cups of coffee down. Ready to truck shop with attitude...

My differential was replaced the 6th visit in. The Pico Scope detected vibration and my dealer replaced the parts. The issue persists....

I talked to a salesman who said he has seen this issue a few times , always on Sierras with extended cabs and NOT crew cabs. Also, the trucks with the issues had the chrome 20" SLT wheels. Everyone fit this criteria or are there other types of body styles / options having the shaking and vibration issue?

Sent from my iPhone

mine is a Crew Cab.. did they replace parts or did they get a new rearend? Mine was rebuilt from scratch.. if they just replaced bad gears they didn't fix it those gears get worn out but the root cause is the housing itself.. they need to replace the whole assembly preferably order a new one unless you have the 9.5" 3.73's then it is a piece by piece rebuild.

mine does have the 20" chrome wheels though... but that isn't consistant either.

Edited by curver900

It was before Taxes and Shipping... There were no Fees... It was the simplest vehicle I have ever purchased... Bought it off Ebay from Jim Faulk Motors (jfmnational) out of Michigan... After Rebates, Incentives and it being a DEMO model with 1800 miles on it, the MSRP was 53k and the Ebay Ad was for 40.5k... After a few phone calls and not even asking, they went down to 39.5k.. The phone calls were about shipping and talking back and forth with the wife... They do their own shipping and it was $800 to NJ... I still had to pay NJ taxes when I registered the Vehicle... Rod was my Salesman and was awesome... I asked if I wasn't happy for what ever reason upon delivery what would happen... He says politely "Sorry it didn't work out and have a nice day"... NO cost at all for shipping and a refund of the $500 deposit... Just checked and they have (2) Black Brand New High Country's for 10k under MSRP.. Here's a link..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-MSRP-58780-4WD-High-Country-Sunroof-GPS-Black-Crew-/381345175173?forcerrptr=true&hash=item58c9f19685&item=381345175173

Thank You for the info & the link... I just checked however, they are out of Clinton Missouri, not Michigan. I am located in Michigan...

Edited by mundfund

Thank You for the info & the link... I just checked however, they are out of Clinton Missouri, not Michigan. I am located in Michigan...

OOpps... Sorry bout that... I actually got a weird feeling when I was typing the state.. Now I know why..

<---Dummy...