GM cutting warranty and included maintenance in 2016

Gorehamj

GM photo maintenance.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3/16/2015

GM is cutting its warranty back from 5-year/100,000 miles to 5-year/60,000 miles starting in the 2016 model year. In addition, GM will reduce the included maintenance it offers on new vehicles. The included maintenance will be reduced from four visits (similar to Toyota's offering) to just two.

AutoNews reported that this new program was announced in a memo to dealers last week. According to the memo, Chevrolet vice president Brian Sweeney and GMC vice president Duncan Aldred write, "Through research, we have determined that when purchasing a new vehicle, included maintenance and warranty rank low on the list of reasons why consumers consider a particular brand over another." Some brands and models will still have special warranties such as the Volt's hybrid warranty.

In the most recent J.D. Power and Associates Dependability Study, GM moved up to above average in the industry. Buick was second behind Lexus in the study (though Lexus is way ahead), and Cadillac is now fourth behind Toyota as a brand. In the various vehicle segments, GM matched Toyota's seven segment wins.

This move means that Hyundai/Kia's 10-year/100,000 drivetrain warranty is again a standout in the industry.

GM photo maintenance.jpg

GM photo maintenance.jpg

GM photo maintenance.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a bad decision imo. Warranty is an important point for me. Some of the Toyota dealers around here offer really good warranties. So my

next truck might be a Toyota.

I won't buy another one if this happens. Another case of some corporate idiot that is out of touch. Why?? Are they losing confidence in their product??

I have been wanting to look at a Ford anyway...I guess it's time!

Doesn't matter what warranty comes with these trucks, GM will not warranty these trucks! their reply to any issues under the warranty is that it is "as designed" or "factory specs". Once GM gets your money they will turn their back on you and void the warranty. The warranty that comes with these truck are not worth the paper its wrote on.

The business model always seems to be, as long as we're 1/2 percent better than the next guy, it's all good. It costs too much money to excel and decimate the competition, and is high risk. When I fill out automotive surveys I always place quality, warranty and customer service as the highest importance.

Huwwge mistake GM. You obviously have no faith in your product and are sending the message to consumers that you expect your vehicle to have issues after 60k miles. You will definitely lose me as a customer if you proceed with doing this and I have been buying GM vehicles my entire life.

I always have wondered how these guys ever made it through university. If cutting the warranty back will save them money, why do they think that is? The only reason it can be costing money is because they have too many claims. Why not spend some money on improving the product, and then once claims are down, they can still keep the warranty since it is not costing anything.

Wonder if GM Canada will follow suit.

Mitsubishi Canada still offers the 10year/160000km powertrain in addition to a 5 yr/100000km new vehicle warranty. I know of two woman (that do not know each other) that will only buy Mitsubishi due to the new vehicle warranty. Oddly enough, they both only keep a vehicle 5 years.

Archived