GM cutting warranty and included maintenance in 2016

Gorehamj

I've been a Chevrolet fan since before I was able to drive. While I've had no issues with my 2009 Silverado I'm extremely disappointed in the super thin sheet metal on all of GMs new cars/trucks. Add this reduced warranty coverage to reduce cost to GM and increasing cost to the customer. No thanks. I never thought I'd buy a foreign truck over GM, but it looks like my next truck will be Toyota.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the extended power train warranty at 5yr/100,000 went into effect in 2008 or around bankruptcy time frame.

edit: found link. The 5/100 warranty took effect the 2007 model year. http://www.autonews.com/article/20150312/RETAIL/150319950/gm-to-cut-chevy-gmc-powertrain-warranty-to-60000-miles-from-100000

I know that both my 2000 GMC Sierra expired on everything except paint/corrosion & maybe something emission related at 3yr/36,000.

Pretty sure the 2001 Pontiac Trans Am was the exact same.

Someone mentioned GMs extended warranty that they sell? Could be mistaken, but generally the extended warranties that sales guys have

pushed are aftermarket co's(not GM owned) & the sales guys keep a big percentage of that sale. So yeah, can see dealerships pushing for

a shorter factory warranty package.

For those switching brands, go read about some of the awesome warranty experiences at those other brands forums for fun.

Btw, what is Fords power train warranty? How has that affected their sales with a more complicated engine set up? Just asking?

Every new vehicle I have bought since my 1987 Mustang came with a powertrain warranty. The 87 Mustang was the best one due to a mid year change that my car got grandfathered into, 8 yr unlimited miles powertrain, the 95 Cavalier had a 5 yr powertrain warrranty, as did the 98 GTP, the 00 GTP, the 03 Cavalier, the 04 GrandAm, the 08 G5 GT and now the 2010 Sierra's powertrain warranty just ran out. You will note that this is the first time since the mid 80's I have owned/driven a vehicle out of some form of warranty.

I do recall the days of the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty, with the 30 day sqeaks and rattles clause. Oddly enough, those days did not really have a large issue with powertrains failing. The big fear was the new emmission controls, but they were "covered" by a mandated 5 year 50,000 mile warranty.

Keep in mind this is Canadian experience. Do not know what the American experience was.

For my issue its the lifters. There's a tsb on the lifter noise. There's also a tsb on the vvt exhaust thing. The vvt tsb also states it would only do this when engine is cold.

Getting off topic though.

I won't buy another new gm product beginning in 2016. I'll buy used, pay off quickly and drive it till the wheels fall off.

Do you have the TSB numbers for the two you mention in your post. I am interested in seeing the how they explain it. Just out of curiosity.

I held off getting a 2015 gmc denali 3500hd because of rumors that gm was going to have some major horsepower and other improvements. I probably missed out on some very good rebates and other cash options. Now gm wants to cut back on the warranty. If I'm going to dish out some major cash for this type of vehicle, the least gm could/should do is have a more that decent warranty to cover the issues that will no doubt come up. GM, it is a shame and bad move on your part. The people that may have been considering a gm vehicle, you have probably sent somewhere else. I know you have given me serious doubts about buying this truck now.

I guess one of the reasons I really wouldn't lose any sleep over the GM move has really nothing to do with GM in particular. It is the industry in general. No one is really making anything I truly "want". For quite a while, it has been just a matter of what would best fit my needs at the best value I could hope for. GM cutting the warranty wouldn't make me go running after another brand, because the situation is the same... no one is making anything, car or pickup, that really gets me excited. I do like my 2015 2500HD, but it is just another pickup to me. And nothing from Ford, Dodge, or whoever really makes me swoon either. Getting the 2015 2500HD I got was purely a combination of getting closer to what I needed, what I could live with, and getting a good deal. Another brand could have a 15 yr unlimited mile warranty and I really don't think it would make a difference in what I bought. I never even gave any brand warranty a single second of my time when I was shopping for a new pickup. Warranty didn't make it into the top ten reasons for my selection.

Very interesting news. I wonder how this will effect the CPO GM program in the future, after 2016? Currently, GM states the certified used vehicle is to be within a maximum of 75,000 vehicle miles, as one of the qualifications for the program. The highlight of the program is utilizing the remainder of the 5/100,000 mile warranty.

Very interesting news. I wonder how this will effect the CPO GM program in the future, after 2016? Currently, GM states the certified used vehicle is to be within a maximum of 75,000 vehicle miles, as one of the qualifications for the program. The highlight of the program is utilizing the remainder of the 5/100,000 mile warranty.

This ^^^ GM used vehicle sales are very good, and because of that trade in values are at a premium. If they cut this warranty and effect the GM certified program, I truly believe used truck values will go down.

F@@$ I was planning on trading in my 2013 chevy in on a 2016 next year.Dam if GM lowers there warranty they must not trust their own vehicles so maby I shouldn't buy a new GM truck next year. It'll definitely make wana open my eyes maby try out something else for a change.

I've been a Chevrolet fan since before I was able to drive. While I've had no issues with my 2009 Silverado I'm extremely disappointed in the super thin sheet metal on all of GMs new cars/trucks. Add this reduced warranty coverage to reduce cost to GM and increasing cost to the customer. No thanks. I never thought I'd buy a foreign truck over GM, but it looks like my next truck will be Toyota.

GM reduces their warranty down to what Toyota is & you are going to look at them now? http://www.toyota.com/tundra/compare.html#compare/summary/40004/39037/40041/40203

If you want a Tundra, by all means, go get one. Just do not understand this example like others in similar threads of going to a different brand now that the warranty will be equal.

F@@$ I was planning on trading in my 2013 chevy in on a 2016 next year.Dam if GM lowers there warranty they must not trust their own vehicles so maby I shouldn't buy a new GM truck next year. It'll definitely make wana open my eyes maby try out something else for a change.

Didn't I read a post from you saying you loved driving your buddy's 6sp manual Cummins Dodge, why not kill two birds with one truck purchase?

Well I like them 5.9 6spd Cummins Dodges who doesn't they were good trucks. I also like my GM trucks just wish it was easier to find a Duramax or 8.1 with a stick. And the ones you find they seem to want more then the trucks worth. Some say as automatic is better but its all personal preference I like manual transmissions I personally hate autos thats my opinion and if I spend $50 000plus on a truck

And want a stick there's shouldn't be a problem it should be yes sir no problem thanks for your business. But GM shouldn't **** with there warranty.

The bottom line here for me is that I don't care who makes the truck, as much as these damn things cost now the warranties should be getting longer not shorter. I guess I'll just buy slightly used next time for the right price or I won't buy anything at all.

AutoNews reported that this new program was announced in a memo to dealers last week. According to the memo, Chevrolet vice president Brian Sweeney and GMC vice president Duncan Aldred write, "Through research, we have determined that when purchasing a new vehicle, included maintenance and warranty rank low on the list of reasons why consumers consider a particular brand over another."

GM must be using the same "research" the Obama administration uses ....

Someone mentioned GMs extended warranty that they sell? Could be mistaken, but generally the extended warranties that sales guys have

pushed are aftermarket co's(not GM owned) & the sales guys keep a big percentage of that sale. So yeah, can see dealerships pushing for

a shorter factory warranty package.

No, there is the GM Protection Plan and all dealers sell it. After market warranties are often pushed for older vehicles and mostly by used car dealers.

You can buy a GMPP warranty (actually ALLY Insurance policy, as are all extended warranties) at the time of new vehicle purchase and finance it with the vehicle. So you will still be able to get a warranty if its piece of mind you want, only you will have to pay for it beyond the GM warranty. That is something that can be negoiated at time of purchase, It will not stop me from buying a new vehicle.

My 2009 CTS had the 5yr /100,000 warranty but I only put on 40,000 miles in that time. I was able to buy an 3 yr extended warranty (most concerned over electronics, this car is all that) for a reasonable price of about $590 a year at discount. A lot cheaper than a new car. I am not into accessorizing my vehicles but would rather spend money to save money down the road on costly repairs, its cheap insurance.

There's a LOT of room to negotiate on the extended warranties offered by the dealer. They've got a hell of a markup on them. Negotiate your deal, THEN work on the extended warr if you want. DON'T let the finance weasel (Like that little snake at Criswell in Gaithersburg) tack a bunch of crap on. Great dealer by the way, it's just the one finance guy's a snake.

Archived