GM cutting warranty and included maintenance in 2016

Gorehamj

Well GM this is a sad day for sure. I have a GMC 2500 with the Duramax and Denali trim package (I tow cross country hence the need for the diesel and the cushy environment). I love my Denali, but as much as do, I can't imagine purchasing another one that would only be warrantied for 60k. Why????? simple, I put roughly 25k-30k a year on my trucks, and a 60k warranty means after two years I'm screwed if a major power train component goes out on my $60.000 (or more) purchase. I always finance for 3 years, so 12 months of "fingers crossed" isn't something I'm interested in trying.

CURRENTLY, Ford's engine and tranny combos can't compete with GM's so you won't loose me to that brand unless they make some major powertrain changes by 2017 when I expect the next new truck purchase to occur. However, even now Dodge can compete pretty well despite having an inferior transmission to the Alison used with the Duramax (The Alison on the GM simply can't be beat) add to that a more confidence inspiring warranty and it looks like my replacement for my GMC might have to be a RAM instead because that inferior transmission will still be under warranty long enough for me to pay off the 60K+ price tag over the normal 3 year financing I usually choose to do.

As for the research shows warranties don't matter...... you've got to be joking right?!!!!??? If Hyundia or KIA made a truck that could handle my towing needs they'd be first on my list and it would be because of that 10 year warranty they offer. I owned a KIA Sorento as well, and even though I never NEEDED the warranty, it sure was nice know it was there right up to the day I traded the Sorento for the Denali. Now it's going to be a Denali for a Ram I guess..... like I said, as sad day for sure.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...GM does it again. What a bunch of crap...research has shown....that is a bunch of BS. I was waiting for 2016 to buy a new Sierra but I won't now. So I guess I will be headed to the Ford lot. I lost a transmission on my 2004 at 50K miles and an engine on my 2009 at 99K miles (I had all of my service copies to defend myself). I argued with you them for weeks until they finally agreed to put a new crate engine in despite the fact I had been burning two quarts of oil a month for 30K miles. This is simply unbelievable. So if the warranty isn't important are they reducing the cost of the 2016? What's the trade off? I'm done with GM.

Funny when I bought my truck it only had a 3/36,000 warranty and I was fine with that, because I knew what GM stuff was good (4L80 & 6.0L) and what stuff that was not (4L60). My trucks only issue is the the two lights in the radio volume and tune knobs burn out, and I have a alternator that is on its way out. Other than those two things I have no issues. Just saying.

I agree with everyone else, with Ram continuing to offer a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty, it's stupid of GM to do this. Even though they may have some surveys to say that the warranty is not the top reason people buy GM, it is a factor. I came very close to buying a 2nd RAM instead of my 2014 GMC, it was little things that put me in the GM product, but again it was close. The publicity alone coming out of this decision is going to hurt sales, regardless of what the surveys say.

Just last week we were at the dealer thinking of buying the lady of the house a new Tahoe. We had looked at the Mercedes prior to that. I guess the Mercedes may win! Dumb stunt for GM to make. I never thought about them doing something like this.

Well GM this is a sad day for sure. I have a GMC 2500 with the Duramax and Denali trim package (I tow cross country hence the need for the diesel and the cushy environment). I love my Denali, but as much as do, I can't imagine purchasing another one that would only be warrantied for 60k. Why????? simple, I put roughly 25k-30k a year on my trucks, and a 60k warranty means after two years I'm screwed if a major power train component goes out on my $60.000 (or more) purchase. I always finance for 3 years, so 12 months of "fingers crossed" isn't something I'm interested in trying.

CURRENTLY, Ford's engine and tranny combos can't compete with GM's so you won't loose me to that brand unless they make some major powertrain changes by 2017 when I expect the next new truck purchase to occur. However, even now Dodge can compete pretty well despite having an inferior transmission to the Alison used with the Duramax (The Alison on the GM simply can't be beat) add to that a more confidence inspiring warranty and it looks like my replacement for my GMC might have to be a RAM instead because that inferior transmission will still be under warranty long enough for me to pay off the 60K+ price tag over the normal 3 year financing I usually choose to do.

As for the research shows warranties don't matter...... you've got to be joking right?!!!!??? If Hyundia or KIA made a truck that could handle my towing needs they'd be first on my list and it would be because of that 10 year warranty they offer. I owned a KIA Sorento as well, and even though I never NEEDED the warranty, it sure was nice know it was there right up to the day I traded the Sorento for the Denali. Now it's going to be a Denali for a Ram I guess..... like I said, as sad day for sure.

I do the same... My 2014 is 10 months old and when I stepped out of it about an hour ago it has 21762 miles on it. Shame on GM. I Love my Chevy Trucks but again, as you said... NOT a risk I'll take. I guess I want my warranty worse than that bow tie.

Extended warranty is the reason I bought my first Hyundai. My wife currently drives a Geneses, our third Hyundai. We wouldn't have looked twice if it weren't for the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much reduction in sales price will this mean? It should be a chunk!

I could careless about warranty. I would rather be turning my own wrenches.

"Turning your own wrenches" for maintenance/modification is not the same as turning your own wrenches for defective issues. Last thing I want to do is pay for issues that used to be considered warranty. Even if you are "turning your own wrenches", the parts are not free.

Funny when I bought my truck it only had a 3/36,000 warranty and I was fine with that, because I knew what GM stuff was good (4L80 & 6.0L) and what stuff that was not (4L60). My trucks only issue is the the two lights in the radio volume and tune knobs burn out, and I have a alternator that is on its way out. Other than those two things I have no issues. Just saying.

Not sure what year your truck is but, GM has had the 5yr/100000mile powertrain warranty for decades. The 3/36000 warranty you mention is the standard new vehicle warranty(commonly known as "bumper to bumper" warranty). The warranty being talked about here is the powertrain warranty.

It's all about the $$, you buy an American vehicle these days and you get to know the service dept. by their first names. Must be killing their bottom line to have to do all the repairs for free. Instead of improving their product they shorten the warranty. When you used to be able to work on them yourself, or at a local service station for a decent price, it was not that bad. Now when you go into a dealer to price a repair you leave in disbelief at the price. I still don't understand how the poor quality parts that have a shorter service life than other foreign brands and the sub-par engineering benefits the long term reputation of a company. Not that they care that it looks bad for the US too....If they go ahead with this I wouldn't even consider another GM product.

Archived