GM cutting warranty and included maintenance in 2016

Gorehamj

No, there is the GM Protection Plan and all dealers sell it. After market warranties are often pushed for older vehicles and mostly by used car dealers.

You can buy a GMPP warranty (actually ALLY Insurance policy, as are all extended warranties) at the time of new vehicle purchase and finance it with the vehicle. So you will still be able to get a warranty if its piece of mind you want, only you will have to pay for it beyond the GM warranty. That is something that can be negoiated at time of purchase, It will not stop me from buying a new vehicle.

My 2009 CTS had the 5yr /100,000 warranty but I only put on 40,000 miles in that time. I was able to buy an 3 yr extended warranty (most concerned over electronics, this car is all that) for a reasonable price of about $590 a year at discount. A lot cheaper than a new car. I am not into accessorizing my vehicles but would rather spend money to save money down the road on costly repairs, its cheap insurance.

I could not remember specifics, just remember sitting in the finance guys(Chevrolet) office when my Mom was buying her Malibu(new) last fall. What ever he was pushing was $2500 with a follow up statement of saying something like "isn't worth the peace of mind knowing things like your alternator are covered?" They were selling a three tiered plan labeled gold, silver, bronze. This guy was trying to dial in on the silver price point & he seemingly did not appreciate me asking how much alternators cost these days.

Bought my truck April 2013 & it was awesome not getting bombarded with extended warranty, various insurances etc.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been planning on buying a Traverse or Acadia when my wife is working again, but not sure at this point if we still will. While the included service may not be as much of a priority (still a selling feature though!) the WARRANTY IS!!!!

Have to look to see what is available and what we like from the other brands.... GM- Do you care? While we here on GMT are a small percentage of the buyers, hopefully they will wake up and smell the coffee!!!!

Funny I haven't seen any of the GM Reps that participate here post to say they will take our responses, comments, and concerns and report them to the higher ups!!!

Now to research a comparable to the Traverse/ Acadia!

And next truck may be a DODGE if the warranty is still better over there pending the current model when the time comes....

I could not remember specifics, just remember sitting in the finance guys(Chevrolet) office when my Mom was buying her Malibu(new) last fall. What ever he was pushing was $2500 with a follow up statement of saying something like "isn't worth the peace of mind knowing things like your alternator are covered?" They were selling a three tiered plan labeled gold, silver, bronze. This guy was trying to dial in on the silver price point & he seemingly did not appreciate me asking how much alternators cost these days.

Bought my truck April 2013 & it was awesome not getting bombarded with extended warranty, various insurances etc.

Maybe it is just me, but, when either I was buying a new vehicle or I was with a friend that was buying a new vehicle, all I would say to the guy that tries the add-on sales when I entered the office was "not interested in anything beyond what is already on that contract in your hand. Just fill in your information so we can be out of here.". Have no idea what is on the extended warranty they sell, have never heard the sales pitch. My case is bit different to most though, I have been buying all my new cars since 95 from the same salesman in the same dealership. Same as anyone that has asked me to help them buy a car, it always goes through this one dealership. The owner happens to have 5 or 6 other dealerships within a couple hundred miles, and they cover 4 different manufacturers.

According to my friends that ask me to help them, this one part of the new car process that they find the most intimidating is the finance guy. They are afraid of offending him and that causing issues getting the financing approved. I warn them before we go that I will handle the part with the finance guy as well as the salesman, and it is now to the point that unless it is a new finance guy, I don't have to say anything, he just skips right over the add-on sales pitch.

None of my friends have had any issues of something expensive failing after warranty ran out. This change that GM is making is only in the distance part of the warranty, not the time part. I think some here think GM is dropping the powertrain warranty entirely.

When you are replacing Corvettes for customers, yes the whole car (not just the the engine which have been spinning bearings because of a supplier issue) you then see why they are cutting the warranty time.

The 5-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty was a huge one up on other manufactures that GM had. It makes no sense cutting it back to be in the same ranges as the competition. Unless GM in planning on running into problems and having to do an insane amount of repairs with these new vehicles, there is no reason to change what they have been offering since what seems like forever.

That's why I replaced my 04 5.3 with a 2011 4.8 - NO AFM.

However, I will be buying another gG truck, simply because Ford and Dodge do not have a better warranty, that and I do not like their trucks anyway.

I thought that as well, GM has very good resale value of used trucks. I would expect the resale value to become diluted after 2016 due to the warranties being shorter. Just like the later GMT 800 style of trucks, if you can find a low mileage 2006 they are at a premium right now. There are a lot of folks that don't want the AFM garbage in their trucks.

• 2 months later...

We have been planning on buying a Traverse or Acadia when my wife is working again, but not sure at this point if we still will. While the included service may not be as much of a priority (still a selling feature though!) the WARRANTY IS!!!!

Have to look to see what is available and what we like from the other brands.... GM- Do you care? While we here on GMT are a small percentage of the buyers, hopefully they will wake up and smell the coffee!!!!

Funny I haven't seen any of the GM Reps that participate here post to say they will take our responses, comments, and concerns and report them to the higher ups!!!

Now to research a comparable to the Traverse/ Acadia!

And next truck may be a DODGE if the warranty is still better over there pending the current model when the time comes....

Iv bin thinking about a Dodge to once and while in here nothing but good things about that eco diesel 30plus MPG from everyone I talk to and 240HP and 400plus foot pounds of torque dam I can live with that that's better then my 11mpg 5.3 vortec. If you buy a Dodge let me know maby I'll jump ship with you.

No domestic brand has a 100k warranty now. Chrysler dropped it for the 2016 MY.

Local dealers in Texas still do lifetime warranty on all brands, some even do it on campers and motor homes. Competition drives it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local dealers in Texas still do lifetime warranty on all brands, some even do it on campers and motor homes. Competition drives it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dealer warranties are worthless. They're not bound by the rules like OEMs so there can be goofy terms, high deductibles, insane maintenance requirements and so on. Never mind this all hinges on you breaking down in the area you bought the truck, and that the dealer still exists.

There's a LOT of room to negotiate on the extended warranties offered by the dealer. They've got a hell of a markup on them. Negotiate your deal, THEN work on the extended warr if you want. DON'T let the finance weasel (Like that little snake at Criswell in Gaithersburg) tack a bunch of crap on. Great dealer by the way, it's just the one finance guy's a snake.

Hahahaha! I take my sister's Cruze up there all the time from DC to get warranty work done on it. It is a great riding, great driving car with the 1.4 turbo. But buddy, let me tell you, that powertrain warranty was worth its weight in gold. Buying that car on its second model year was a mistake. I'm about to take it up there soon regarding oil getting into the intercooler. I think the turbo might be going caput. We bought it new in 2012, it already has 80k on it. So, she puts on serious miles. That 5/60k would be long gone.

A couple of responses to this at Road and Track and Car and Driver...the first one seems like a crock, but it's interesting reading. The second one seems like a pretty good chance of truth...

Matt Kendrick · Computer Tech at Professional PC Solutions

The reason why GM has dropped there warranty down is because the Engines in certain models are drink 3 and 4 quarts of oil between oil changes. The issues are due to wrong piston and ring sizes installed in certain models and the issues are causing GM to have to Replace engines between 60 and 100k. This straight from the mouth of a personal friend and higher up at GM. It has nothing to do with Sales.
Also...
GM has this all figured out, I have been a GM service writer now for quite some time and most of their catastrophic power-train failures start to occur around the 80,000 mile mark i.e. 3.6L V6 timing chain failures, 5.3L V8 cylinder #1 burning oil and dropped value issues, 2.4L I4 oil consumption, 1.8L I4 turbo oil leaks, 2.0 I4 turbo cylinders cracking, and transmission failures in the Acadia, Enclaves & Traverses with their weak wave-plates to name a few. We replace or rebuild 3-6 engines a week due to these well known issues. Now by GM cutting the power-train warranty down to 60k that gives them a 20k cushion from when these problems start to occur so you can also expect little to no goodwill from GM either. Lack of quality as been GM's biggest downfall and its not getting any better. Might as well change their name to RECALL MOTORS!!

Archived