2017 L5P Duramax horsepower/torque? Here's our guess�!

Zane

It really needs to be more than a silly numbers game for GM. They have completely fallen behind in terms of options and features.

I love my LMM but if you are buying a new $60k++++ truck and go strictly for brand loyalty, you're nuts. Whenever I do decide to upgrade my truck, I will certainly look at and test drive all 3 before making a decision. About the only thing Chevy has going for itself at this point is the fact of the very long reliable combination of the Duramax/ Allison that other than emissions crap and performance improvements, hasn't really changed. I just bought my dad a brand new 2500 Denali Duramax and it's a very nice truck, but Ford is just so far ahead on options and features. Now with the 17, they are miles ahead. I couldn't even get heated rear seats or rear HVAC vents in a $70k truck. Hell, the 15's are the first GM HD's with even power folding mirrors. Ford has had power fold and extend for like 6 or 7 years. GM had better come out with something great for the 17's and it better be much more than just stupid power numbers. Things I have seen in a couple YouTube videos on the Ford 17's that are pretty badass that GM needs to take note of:

- 360 degree cameras with birds eye view

- trailer camera

- trailer TPMS

- pano sun roof

- rear AC

- heated rear seats

100% agree GM had the better Diesel Engine and Trans and squandered it! All the necessary and unused tech junk on the 2500's sold em for FORD and RAM. And the guy talking about oil field rigs just idling all day everyday/ all year I can attest the 6.0L gassers never a problem/never. The later made Duramax's LIMP MODE BABY every other freaking week because of emissions

- supplemental heater for quick cab heat

- adaptive cruise that will even engage the trailer brakes if needed

- 400w inverter (Chevy's 125w or whatever it is struggles with my laptop)

- trailer reverse guidance (not needed for me but I would love if I could have my fiancé back up our 43' Donzi on her own)

- adaptive steering

- trailer blind spot detection

- 6 up fitter switches

- collision brake support that even engages trailer brakes if you don't react in time

- auto high beam headlights

- auto wipers

- integrated tailgate step

- automatic retracting running boards

That's all I can think of at the moment. I think we can all agree that the Duramax is the most proven of the 3, but these innovative features are what sell the vast majority of HD trucks. Most people don't give a crap what brand it is, they want the best options available that add convenience, safety, and cool factor

100% agree GM had the better Diesel Engine and Trans and squandered it! All the necessary and unused tech junk on the 2500's sold em for FORD and RAM. And the guy talking about oil field rigs just idling all day everyday/ all year I can attest the 6.0L gassers never a problem/never. The later made Duramax's LIMP MODE BABY every other freaking week because of emissions

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

450/ and Atleast 900 be a let down . Knowing the SD is @ 925 and next year a new RAM HD comes out with more then 900. I know this is a not a drag race but numbers always win . look at the sales numbers. GM HD sales suck giant fat balls

One of my buddies just bought a VW for his wife - said the dealership experience was hands-down THE WORST he's ever experienced. His wife drove 45 minutes out there to drop keys off, then a day or so later came by with the car ... and they have no idea where the keys are. Totally incompetent. They pulled the same thing twice. Says the warranty isn't even worth the aggravation. He'll have a private garage fix it next time.

I'll never buy one, because I'm the one who gets stuck fixing all this modern throwaway crap. Rolling Tupperware.

I still have my 3/8" allen from doing brakes on my '85 Monte. :thumbs:

So, first the thread hijack -- my DD is an '06 Jetta that I bought new. Other than oil, tires, the K&N filter, plugs, and a windshield, the first 185k miles cost me 1 water pump, 1 electric fan, 1 transmission valve body, and 1 timing chain (elective surgery with the water pump), and a cat -- total non-maintenance (subtracting the timing chain) is about $1,800. $0.01 per mile in non-standard maintenance is better than anything I have ever owned. Since then (currently 218k miles) I have put on brake pads, shocks, swaybar links, ball joints, and an engine mount (turns out it did not need the mount), which all totaled is still dirt cheap.

My son recently left a Chevy dealer and started working at Ford. He owns 2 older Chevy's, and has no plans to change, but says the Ford's are far more advanced. I cannot argue against his opinion.

As for the specs on the new trucks, I do not expect much from Chevy in the way of numbers. I think they are far more focused on the diesels for the Colorado, and the changes to the LS engines, to advance the Duramax. Maybe a 10% increase in HP, but I think torque does not make it to 900.

• 3 weeks later...

450/ and Atleast 900 be a let down . Knowing the SD is @ 925 and next year a new RAM HD comes out with more then 900. I know this is a not a drag race but numbers always win . look at the sales numbers. GM HD sales suck giant fat balls

Not a bad guess.

The real numbers are 445 hp and 910 lb/ft

http://gmpowertrain.com/assets/docs/2017-US-Product-Information-Guide.pdf

It means up 12 % in hp and 19 % in torque from the old Duramax. Classleading hp and a torque max at 200 rpm lower than the Ford PS.

:cheers:

Remember these are GM numbers so they will be SAE certified at probably 460-470hp and 920-940tq!

GM got it going on!

Ridiculous 900+ @1600 RPM god that it's sick!

You guys that don't drive diesels have no idea. You act like 900lb-ft is going to just effortlessly shred tires and blast you from stop light to stop light. Well, guess what: it won't. When you have that much torque, the PCM "limits" what is available in the lower gears. Ford's 2017 diesel limits in gears 1,2, and 3 (except duallys only limit in 1st). RAM limits torque as well, and you can bet GM will too.

Car & Driver tested a 2011 Super Duty with the 400HP/800lb-ft engine and its 0-60 times were only a few tenths quicker than the 385/405 gas V8 in the same truck. Neither are "fast" vehicles because they weigh a large amount.

The torque really only feels amazing when you have a massively heavy trailer behind you and the truck is pulling it up the hill just fine. That's when the diesel earns its money back. Commuting? Might as well get a gas.

Diesel engines are very expensive to option on to a truck, and repairs can be prohibitively expensive. Buyer needs to be aware of the potential issues and maintenance of a big diesel engine before they purchase.

I'm not surprised the D-max was able to put up the 445hp, in fact, I'm more surprised Ford did not bump their horsepower for the 2017 model year. What is surprising is just how much torque GM was able to add. Mostly, torque is added incrementally so designs can be tested to see the affect of the added torque on the engine components. This is a big jump, probably the largest torque increase in a single update *ever*. Hopefully GM has done their homework and this engine is bulletproof. The Duramax has generally been quite a good, reliable engine for many years now.

My final thought is on "other" hardware. Did GM upgrade its axles, driveshafts, transfer cases, transmission, etc? Ford did for the 2017 engine. The rear axles on the 2017 diesel Fords are absolutely monstrous.

You guys that don't drive diesels have no idea. You act like 900lb-ft is going to just effortlessly shred tires and blast you from stop light to stop light. Well, guess what: it won't. When you have that much torque, the PCM "limits" what is available in the lower gears. Ford's 2017 diesel limits in gears 1,2, and 3 (except duallys only limit in 1st). RAM limits torque as well, and you can bet GM will too.

Car & Driver tested a 2011 Super Duty with the 400HP/800lb-ft engine and its 0-60 times were only a few tenths quicker than the 385/405 gas V8 in the same truck. Neither are "fast" vehicles because they weigh a large amount.

The torque really only feels amazing when you have a massively heavy trailer behind you and the truck is pulling it up the hill just fine. That's when the diesel earns its money back. Commuting? Might as well get a gas.

Diesel engines are very expensive to option on to a truck, and repairs can be prohibitively expensive. Buyer needs to be aware of the potential issues and maintenance of a big diesel engine before they purchase.

I'm not surprised the D-max was able to put up the 445hp, in fact, I'm more surprised Ford did not bump their horsepower for the 2017 model year. What is surprising is just how much torque GM was able to add. Mostly, torque is added incrementally so designs can be tested to see the affect of the added torque on the engine components. This is a big jump, probably the largest torque increase in a single update *ever*. Hopefully GM has done their homework and this engine is bulletproof. The Duramax has generally been quite a good, reliable engine for many years now.

My final thought is on "other" hardware. Did GM upgrade its axles, driveshafts, transfer cases, transmission, etc? Ford did for the 2017 engine. The rear axles on the 2017 diesel Fords are absolutely monstrous.

Your right, Bud! I guess I have never driven a diesel or have no clue! Thanks for that assessment! You must have all the knowledge too bud! I never mentioned anything about driving around like a jackass.

I am just hoping that GM has better numbers than the competition! I could care less what underpinnings, components under a FERD too! GM builds a better truck end of story and I hope they smash the numbers! If somebody wants to USE A TUNE, CAI, Exhaust and high speed idle through a TACO BELL drive through with a 24OZ Tall Boy great more power to em!

You have obviously never driven one, because if you have you would not of said that. A friend has a 2011 f350 4x4 6.7 that will liquify the rear tires.

The GM drivetrain has been solid as they come, unlike the weekend TV shows, they match the entire drivetrain to the output.

Just too bad the body and wiring will never last as long.

Seen so many completely rust away to nothing, and start breaking down on the side of the road at random times due to corroded wiring, at anywhere from 10 years up to 14 - very few make it past 14 up here.

GM should give a lifetime supply of Fluid Film with every sale. Might be worth the price then ...

You have obviously never driven one, because if you have you would not of said that. A friend has a 2011 f350 4x4 6.7 that will liquify the rear tires.

The GM drivetrain has been solid as they come, unlike the weekend TV shows, they match the entire drivetrain to the output.

Currently own two Super Duty trucks - both 2016 crew cabs, 4x4, 6.7L diesels. One is a 350 XLT and one is a 250 King Ranch. Both make 440HP and 860 lb-ft are both are stock with 3.55 rear ends. The King Ranch is running 35" tires and will not turn them without heavy brake torquing. The 350 has the stock 33" tires and still will not turn them just by flooring the pedal...requires some brake torquing. Your buddy with the 2011 (400hp/800lb-ft version) either has modded his engine, runs very small tires, or has a shorter gearing set in the rear end.

Despite owning the Fords, I think the GM trucks are great. I love the D-max engines. Uncle has a 2005 Sierra (LLY, I think) and it has been a terrific engine. Only problem is rust on the truck. The D-max has a much nicer "diesel" sound compared to the super-quiet Ford 6.7's.

When the Dmax's first hit the streets they were "insanely quiet" if anything this current DMAX will once again become the "insanely quiet diesel"

They definitely were quiet compared to the old Ford 7.3's and 6.0's with HEUI or the old 12V Cummins. Buddy has an LMM and it sounds much "beastlier" compared to my 6.7's. Only time the new Ford's sound much like a diesel is when they start and it is cold out...they turn off pilot injection.

They definitely were quiet compared to the old Ford 7.3's and 6.0's with HEUI or the old 12V Cummins. Buddy has an LMM and it sounds much "beastlier" compared to my 6.7's. Only time the new Ford's sound much like a diesel is when they start and it is cold out...they turn off pilot injection.

Right on! When the DMAX'S first hit everybody had FERD 7.3's and they were pretty solid and loud! Finally Dodge was the last to quiet down the injection process which seemed like many years after the first DMAX's

Memory gets harder but then the 6.7's FERD's came out and everybody had problems etc. Had many working buddies just completely pissed off over their 6.7's? Some even dumped em just as quick as they got em for V10 Ford 250's......Anyway the other day I was at Wal-Mart and a guy was idling outside with his brand new 6.7 FERD and I was thinking that is the quietest Diesel I have now Heard. If this new DMAX is quieter I would be very impressed!

Archived