2017 Silverado Capless Fuel cap Fuel filler cover

On 3/19/2018 at 9:04 AM, moab11 said:

I wouldn't worry about a bit of water at all, the system uses two trap doors actually, after the first(outer) one there is a compartment with a drain hole at the bottom, then another trap door that actually goes to the tank. That is why GM includes the little funnel with the trucks, to get past the second trap door, and trust me, it's needed for adding fuel de-icer or additives to the tank, and not the ground below the truck.

+1000 on this one!  There are lots of products out there that are really only there to provide piece of mind for those that don't know how something was actually designed.  The capless fuel filler is one of them.  Its really a pretty simple design that doesn't need any additional add ons to allow it to work properly.     

I bought the locking cover from the TrunkMonkey site   https://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/     was about 15 bones. I like it and I will keep using it. It does take a bit of force to pull it off, so heads up if you have low hand strength (desk job folks)  it might be too much for you to handle and you should probably look at alternatives. 

image.jpeg.9b69e34a434907badac30400cae6d0e0.jpeg

10 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

UPDATE: After buying the OEM cover on ebay a few months ago, I removed it after a few days. It was a PITA to put on and remove.

I bought the rubber bearing cover in the pic above. I found it a very snug fit and was annoying to put on and off. The solution was to cut a slit down one side and it goes on and off easily. Nice clean snug fit but user friendly now. 

I bought the rubber bearing cover in the pic above. I found it a very snug fit and was annoying to put on and off. The solution was to cut a slit down one side and it goes on and off easily. Nice clean snug fit but user friendly now. 

Nice. I’m just going to go without for now. After reading more and more about capless systems, I’m thinking it will be Ok. If I decide to go off road in a dusty dirty area, I’ll throw the cap on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

I found a fairly cheap solution for keeping the capless fuel inlet covered. MOCAP (www.mocap.com) has 2.25" rubber caps under P/N RVCC9049R-10 (for red) or RVC9049B-10 (for black) that have worked perfectly well for me these past few months. They're ready made by the company and minimum order quantity is 5 each at around $20-25 USD (S&H vary). The fuel tank inlet OD is around 2.312" so the first time you slip it over, you'll have to work it a bit. However, afterwards, the cover slips on and off with no trouble when refuel while providing a tight seal. Been using this past 2 months on my 2018 Silverado, around 15 fill-ups. No problems. KISS

Dunno if it’s an e85 thing or not but mine has a cap on it. My charger and the wife’s explorer don’t but neither are flex fuel.

And nothing will piss you off more than when that stupid little flap won’t open to stick the fuel nozzle in. Talk about seeing a white rage trying to beat on that stupid thing to get it to work.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level

Dunno if it’s an e85 thing or not but mine has a cap on it. My charger and the wife’s explorer don’t but neither are flex fuel.

And nothing will piss you off more than when that stupid little flap won’t open to stick the fuel nozzle in. Talk about seeing a white rage trying to beat on that stupid thing to get it to work.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level

Cap-less didn’t start until the 2017 MY I believe. 16 months in and mine hasn’t given me any problems... yet!
I have a GM OEM cap made specially for these, but it’s a pain in the arse to put on and remove so I don’t use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 11:33 AM, Centex14 said:

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level

If it were E85, the fill port would be YELLOW, or at least the cap would be.  For those that remember the vehicles that used “regular” fuel, back in the 70s and before, “Regular fuel” had a 1” spout, and would run on “no-Lead,” unleaded, BUT you couldn’t put the “regular” spout in the unleaded vehicles, as the spout was too big for the 1/2” hole.  We use a few E85 vehicles at work, their economy SUCKS!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The capless fuel filler is not a very impressive idea. On my 2018 Sierra 1500 I have had to carefully sweep out snow from the flap before I can fill up several times this winter. I live in eastern Iowa and we have had a lot of snow this winter. Very disappointing to open up the fuel door and there is snow inside and on top of the "Protective" flap. Obviously GM realized it was a problem as the new 2019's at my dealer have a rectangular door with a rubber seal all the way around. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions for possible types of caps to use.

4 hours ago, LexusMate-GMCSierra said:

The capless fuel filler is not a very impressive idea. On my 2018 Sierra 1500 I have had to carefully sweep out snow from the flap before I can fill up several times this winter. I live in eastern Iowa and we have had a lot of snow this winter. Very disappointing to open up the fuel door and there is snow inside and on top of the "Protective" flap. Obviously GM realized it was a problem as the new 2019's at my dealer have a rectangular door with a rubber seal all the way around. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions for possible types of caps to use.

There is an easy solution to keeping water and dirt off/out of your flapper filler...$1.98 at Lowe’s...it’s a LASCO PVC end cap, fits perfectly and doesn’t interfere with the door closing. Here is mine (white) and one I did for a friend (black). I just shot some gloss black spray paint on his.

A85D304C-D238-4FD8-BE9D-3DDCAB4D662F.jpeg

FDF289DB-0BB0-4394-A8C2-25C414230121.jpeg

Edited by SS502
Typo

On 3/20/2018 at 9:01 PM, vonshep said:

i looked on ebay for that and cant seem to find it 

Search for this "Fernco PQC-102 2" Qwik Cap".  Its what I used. You dont need the clamp that come with it.

ferncocap.jpg

Edited by stanz792

On 3/21/2018 at 2:59 PM, steve76t said:

+1000 on this one!  There are lots of products out there that are really only there to provide piece of mind for those that don't know how something was actually designed.  The capless fuel filler is one of them.  Its really a pretty simple design that doesn't need any additional add ons to allow it to work properly.     

I'm with you. I sometimes find it hilarious why guys try to reinvent the wheel. Don't you think that GM thought about this before it went into production? 

Besides that a little tiny splash of  water isn't going to hurt your precious motor. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2018 at 2:07 PM, Robertof said:

Went out and checked under the truck for the drain hole and there is a drain, but it has a quarter inch hose connected 

to it, that goes back to the tank. I still think a slip over cap is the way to go.

Don't know if its true, but the dealer said it has the smaller second trap door to keep dummies from filling the tank with diesel !

The diesel nozzle won't fit. It's bigger in diameter that the regular unleaded nozzle. Been that way since cars and trucks started using unleaded in the 1970's. Your dealer is an idiot .

• Like 2