RAM's Super Bowl Commercial Featuring MLK Speech Makes Everyone Go Crazy

Zane

screen%20shot%202018-02-04%20at%2080439%20pm[1].png

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com

2/5/2018

FCA was ready to use multiple commercial spots during this year's Super Bowl to promote the heck out of the all new 2019 RAM. Instead, it has ignited a firestorm over the use of a speech by Martin Luther King, Jr as the background track in a commercial to sell trucks. 

The NY Daily News says "Dodge’s Super Bowl ad distorts MLK’s message of service to sell trucks"

Business Insider's headline reads: People hate Dodge Ram's Super Bowl ad, which uses a Martin Luther King speech to sell trucks

The New York Times: Martin Luther King Jr. Commercial for Ram Trucks Is Swiftly Criticized

ABC News Just Put Up An Article From The Associated Press:  Ram truck ad using MLK speech draws backlash

A topic discussing this ad on r/Politics on Reddit shows that some people are very outraged.

- I got excited to hear mlk. I was not thrilled it about the selling trucks thing. Terrible idea. - /u/Pm_me_hot_sauce_pics 

- Tried sending Dodge an e-mail of my disgust but their server must have crashed. I sure hope thousands of others had the same intent. - /u/seness

- I wanted to ****ing spit at my TV over this shit. There is no American for whom it would be more offensive to use to sell a product with than Dr. King. - /u/RussianTrollHunter 

- This just in: corporate America doesn't and never will give a shit about civil rights, truth, or justice. Unless of course that somehow involves you paying them on a generous bi-weekly basis 3/4 of your paycheck, then they'll totally pretend to give a shit about civil society. - /u/Adwokat_Diabla

Watch the ad and see the controversy for yourself. Than let us know what you think below. 

Although this ad is getting all of the attention, it wasn't the only ad RAM showed during the Super Bowl. Here's two more that are not getting any flack.....yet. 

And the most popular...

General Motors on the other hand, didn't run a Super Bowl ad this year for the 2019 Silverado. 

So, what do you think? Did RAM step in it? Or is this all overblown?

I thought

• The viking version was a slap in the face to Minnesota (but kinda funny)
  • MLK speech version was just distasteful - EDIT - my first reaction was to agree with others, the more I think about it, why is this ad so bad? Oh, because the PC crowd says so.
  • The Paul Harvey version - I'm OK with that. I miss this guy.

good day'

Real talk hearing that excerpt, which I think is one of his sermons made the hairs stand up all over. The commercial was not distasteful at all, it was triumphantly graceful!!

Should ram have used it during black history month, Hell yeah, they killed 2 birds with one stone and get a ?? For honoring bhm . I’m pretty sure the King family approved?

Now why I’m pissed is that it should’ve been the 2019 Sierra making its debut, that would’ve killed the show lol. 

1 hour ago, kilowhiskey said:

Fiat is so desperate to get customers. They used a bullshit PC commercial that is only going to make their already small demographic smaller. 

Nothing PC about it. Rather most of the SJW/PC crowd is pretty salty about it. Some clueless marketing type used a speech that went on to criticize taking on excessive debt to purchase a new vehicle. Regardless, Ram grew more than Chevy last year and GMC sales were down so I seriously doubt Ram is hurting for customers. Having owned two Jeep products I think FCA has terrible quality but moving vehicles is not an issue. Take off the fanboy glasses now and then.

Snowflakes these days get butthurt over anything. RAM didn’t do anything wrong. Those ‘outraged’ wouldn’t buy a new RAM 1500 anyway—they’d call for an Uber Prius if they ever need to leave the safespace shelter of their mother’s basement. 

22 hours ago, MikeNH said:

Nothing PC about it. Rather most of the SJW/PC crowd is pretty salty about it. Some clueless marketing type used a speech that went on to criticize taking on excessive debt to purchase a new vehicle. Regardless, Ram grew more than Chevy last year and GMC sales were down so I seriously doubt Ram is hurting for customers. Having owned two Jeep products I think FCA has terrible quality but moving vehicles is not an issue. Take off the fanboy glasses now and then.

They tried, but failed. 

5 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Snowflakes these days get butthurt over anything. RAM didn’t do anything wrong. Those ‘outraged’ wouldn’t buy a new RAM 1500 anyway—they’d call for an Uber Prius if they ever need to leave the safespace shelter of their mother’s basement. 

Very factual point 

8 minutes ago, kilowhiskey said:

They tried, but failed. 

They failed at what? Ram had better growth than Chevy last week and GMC was down by quite a bit.

I am just glad that it generated some interest (good or bad interest)  hopefully a lot of people will look it up and possibly listen to the entire speech.  (doubt it) Did your ever see the Tonight Show   "man on the street"?  way too many people just drifting through life,  they can tell you every move snookie makes but do not know who the president of the United States is and probably know little to nothing about MLK LOL. 

20 hours ago, MikeNH said:

They failed at what? Ram had better growth than Chevy last week and GMC was down by quite a bit.

Yes, they failed. They tried to make a commercial catering to the PC side of things but it ended up backfiring on them. Personally I find it very amusing. 

On 2/5/2018 at 5:53 PM, kilowhiskey said:

Fiat is so desperate to get customers. They used a bullshit PC commercial that is only going to make their already small demographic smaller. 

it seems something non-american is in the ads.

as if teaching themselves to make them.

Archived