GM Announces its Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Has Biggest and Most Functional Cargo Bed

Gorehamj

2019-Silverado-Durabed-02.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-26-2018

Chevrolet’s 2019 Silverado has best-in-class cargo volume, box depth, box length at floor, and also a class-leading 12 fixed tie-downs. Coupled with its power up/down tailgate, Chevy now lays claim to the most function al bed of any pickup truck. The bed is now also made from a higher-quality, higher-strength steel.  Chevy calls this cargo bed the “Durabed.”

2019-Silverado-Durabed-09.jpg

“The bed is the heart and soul of any pickup, so we made several improvements to the bed of the all-new Silverado to give our customers an even better hauling experience,” said Tim Herrick, executive chief engineer, Full-Size Trucks, General Motors. 
In addition to Silverado’s now has 12 fixed tie-downs the strength of each of these has doubled from 250 lbs. to 500 lbs. of force before bending. There are also nine other moveable tie-down points. In total, these 21-total tie-downs located at various heights are the most of any full-size pickup. Silverado also has new larger cutouts in the CornerStep bumpers to better accommodate steel-toed boots. Every Silverado has a top of cab rear light and in-bed LED lighting and a 110/120-volt power outlet are available.

2019-Silverado-Durabed-04.jpg
For 2019 the Silverado 1500 will also be available with four tailgate variants:
-Standard gate: a manual gate with no lift assist; manually lockable (with key)
-Standard Gate with Lift Assist: a stamped gate that includes lift assist; manually lockable (with key)
-Power Lock/Release: includes lift assist and automatic release; power lockable
-Industry-exclusive power up/down: available on the LTZ and standard on High Country, the tailgate raises or lowers using the key fob, touchpads on the gate or button in the cabin. Includes lift assist, automatic release and power closing; power lockable

silverado cargo bed chart.png

• Like 1

Actually I HATE that GM made the bedsides taller.  What good is the bed if you can't reach over the side without a step?  That's one of the things I always hated about Ford.  Same thing goes for loading from the rear with the tailgate down.  That's why I always liked that GM trucks sat lower -- the bed floor was lower and easier to load/unload.

Now if you are hauling mulch or something where you want more cubic feet it makes sense, but for constant everyday loading and unloading the higher sides and load floor are actually worse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newdude said:

Huh...I didn't know Ford also had a shorter short box than GM.  I knew Ram had the shortest of the big 3 both short and standard. 

The length has changed for 2019 1500's.

Probably see similar on the HD's with the 2020 MY.

15 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Good news!

Anything to one up Ford or Ram is always a plus.

I am sure the Silverado sierra bed will not collapse when a pallet shifts on a turn like this Ford:

IMG_5228.thumb.jpg.a3822f5dad3905f201eacb450fde99a3.jpg

13 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Exactly, If it was my Industrial or Construction company?   Absolutely now way I would have a fleet of Twin-Turbo V-6's with Aluminum beds.....ridiculous!

How embarrassing!  That would've never happened with my old '96 F-150 XLT!  TT V6 is another foray into tomfoolery.  A single turbo with an inline or large V6 makes sense in lieu of a V8 with DOD when dealing with CAFE but twins and tiny displacement is no good for the long haul.  I reckon trucks so equipped will not outlast the durability of the ninth generation trucks.  There will be fewer of them on the road in twenty years as a percentage of production.

12 hours ago, redwngr said:

The length has changed for 2019 1500's.

Probably see similar on the HD's with the 2020 MY.

Length for what, GM? 

These are the non-rounded figures:

2018 short box bed floor length:  69.33in. 

2019 short box bed floor length:  69.92in. 

2018 standard box bed floor length:  78.87in

2019 standard box bed floor length:  79.44in.

1/2 an inch on the short and standard box.  I wouldn't call that much change.         

Agreed.

But it wasn't me at the introduction at Detroit auto show bragging about the dimensional changes in the video interview with TFL. 

(And I didn't check and don't care about the dimensions of the competitor trucks.) 

I do like the extra tie down options it seems they could to be providing in the new ones.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Good news!

Anything to one up Ford or Ram is always a plus.

I am sure the Silverado sierra bed will not collapse when a pallet shifts on a turn like this Ford:

IMG_5228.thumb.jpg.a3822f5dad3905f201eacb450fde99a3.jpg

Now this photo of the demolished aluminum furd bed is hilarious, but I have no doubt that doing the same thing in our trucks would lead to serious damage as well.

That photo has been circulating online. It was found that a guy had an engine block unsecured. He swerved to avoid a dog and the engine rolled into one side, then bounced back and hit the other side. So the headline of the story should have been about how the idiot furd owner failed to secure his load.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, aseibel said:

Now this photo of the demolished aluminum furd bed is hilarious, but I have no doubt that doing the same thing in our trucks would lead to serious damage as well.

That photo has been circulating online. It was found that a guy had an engine block unsecured. He swerved to avoid a dog and the engine rolled into one side, then bounced back and hit the other side. So the headline of the story should have been about how the idiot furd owner failed to secure his load.

Wouldn't a Steel Bed "give" more and not " tear " apart like aluminum? 

Just like the Chevy commercial with Howie Long and dumping cinder blocks from a skid steer or dropping a toolbox in the floor.