SO..... Anyone install a lift kit yet? Pictures Please

Worth it to do it yourself IMO. 17 hours is a long time and it should take closer to 10 but at the end of the day you know everything is torqued to spec and it was put on the right way. People always do a better job when it is "your $hit." You'd be surprised how uninformed/incompetent a lot of mechanics are as well. I'll always work on my stuff vs have someone else do it even if it doesn't save me that much money, because I know it will be done right. 

Congrats man, you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it every time you look at it, looks good.

You know what they say about opinions...

“BDS” makes a quality product, and they even have a .... coil over kit... that’s highly functional.

That blue truck you noted looking good is running a 4” BDS kit actually.

Zone = BDS with some weaker components and less attention to the proper details. Other than that they’re the same.

I actually prefer a 3” to 5” kit with coil overs. I prefer to keep the angles less extreme by spreading the change through more of the drivetrain. You can gain a lot of the travel and desired ride quality without added track width of long travel if you don’t want your $hit sticking out.

Performance can be had with a lift kit, and they’re not all created equal. BDS with Fox, Superlift with King, Fabtech with Dirt Logic - all make quality systems in the 4” to 8” range.

More height is just personal preference. High offset wheels, with low profile tires, are too, and aren’t really functional.

I guess what I’m trying to say is.... lots of guys know “the answer”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cniedrach said:

What kind of lift is this?  Looks great. 

Thanks! This was a motofab 2.5” level, it’s on a bds 6” lift now

6 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

Any lifts like "BDS," "Zone (same co as BDS," RC, etc.) where you aren't converting to longer (and higher quality) struts/coilovers are only good if you want a mall princess. The only reason you would put a lift like that  on your truck is if you care about form over function. No quicker way to make your truck drive like $hit than to stick a 6"+ lift on it. And it doesn't even look good. All these guys running way offset wheels, have a massive gap in their wheel well, and have crappy china made aftermarket rims because they couldn't run the stock offset. I'll say it til I'm blue in the face, "THE ENTIRE 'CUSTOM TRUCK' WORLD IS MOVING AWAY FROM LIFTED NON-FUNCTIONAL TRUCK TO 'OFF-ROAD BAJA-STYLE' TRUCKS. Go look at Sema. Pretty soon these people are going to realize they spent 5-10k to put inferior suspension components, harsher riding wheels and their trucks look like $hit. But again to each his own. 

It kills me that people want an "aggressive looking truck" and spend the 10k on stuff that just makes it look and ride, bad. Subtlety and proportions are your friend. Go look at any other vehicle platforms and look at the most aggressive looking vehicles on there. Nobody is running 6-8" lifts with wheels/tires poked out a foot, big diameter wheels with tiny tires, two feet of wheel well lol, etc. Bunch of:

sheep GIF

IMO...

The term 'prerunner' was derived from the guys that would go out and scout out desert races before the trophy trucks would race. It literally just means that you want your truck to be able to go anywhere over any different terrain. Again, this is where the whole truck industry is headed, and for good reason. The 'truck guys' are just a little late to the party.

I would say it's function over form, but the prerunner trucks look better anyways. I don't know how the roller-skate look every became a thing anyway. It's like hey, "Ive got a great idea, let's spend 10 grand to make our truck ride like $hit, ruin the functionality of any 'truck functions', put tons of pressure on a bunch of auxiliary components of the truck, and on top of that it will look extra whack." 

Hub-centric wheel spacers are your friend. Unless you like aftermarket wheels (which are inferior to 20 & 22" OEM wheels in every way unless you spend the big bucks) you are better off running wheel spacers. Most people on here are rather clueless which is why you don't see it being done, but that is the move. 

One of the better looking trucks on this site. Would probably look even better with 1" wheel spacers...

Also a great example of how more tire make it not only ride better, but look better as well. The smaller the diameter of the wheel and the more tire the more aggressive it is going to look as well. 

Worth it to do it yourself IMO. 17 hours is a long time and it should take closer to 10 but at the end of the day you know everything is torqued to spec and it was put on the right way. People always do a better job when it is "your $hit." You'd be surprised how uninformed/incompetent a lot of mechanics are as well. I'll always work on my stuff vs have someone else do it even if it doesn't save me that much money, because I know it will be done right. 

Congrats man, you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it every time you look at it, looks good.

I totally enjoy coming on here and catching up with a lot of the conversations from time to time, but I find it hilarious that there is always people with the belief that things should be done one way and they are quick to say that’s just my opinion after they say it ????....  That’s what makes this country great, because you are allowed to have and voice your opinion. To some on this forum they believe if you own a truck it’s meant to be used as a work horse beater. Well I didn’t buy my truck because I needed a work vehicle or wanted a good ride.  WTF!?!? Since we have opinions, I believe all trucks ride horrible off the show room floor and they handle like ******. So when I read comments about lifting your truck destroys the  ride quality it makes me believe that those that say that only own trucks and have never owned a vehicle that’s meant for the “Road”. I bought my fully loaded 2019 Z71 in December and at times if felt like I was sitting on a water bed the way the soggy Rancho shocks poorly absorbed irregularities in the road.

I am more impressed with the solid planted feel of my truck now after I lifted it versus the sloppy stock set up. You get what you pay for when it comes to lifting your vehicle. This statement is really going to hurt some feelings on here; my truck is 100% a toy, and it looks exactly how I want it to look. And to be honest, I’m totally blown away by the crazy attention it receives when ever I drive it. The experience is totally shocking. The out pouring of love and curiosity is truly unreal. However, It wasn’t built to appeal to anyone but me and I’ve knocked it out the park. I’ve enjoyed it to the fullest with the modifications. 

A4EF62AC-6ED0-42C0-B8C0-90CF3953B542.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anakalypto said:

Got pics of the BDS? Is it coilover? Curious how they ride on the new gen

Not the coilovers unfortunately I got the lift before they coilover Kit was released. Tons of pics on my Instagram @stanced_x31

Got pics of the BDS? Is it coilover? Curious how they ride on the new gen

BDS 6” kit with custom Icon coilovers, I’ve since removed all the Icon components because I sold the truck but I was very happy with it especially with the adjustable damping (CDCV). More in control and less bouncy.

33dd1072ba9042c1d135cce7cb48b680.plist0db4da26599890964b63c30f6ec37157.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anakalypto said:

You know what they say about opinions...

“BDS” makes a quality product, and they even have a .... coil over kit... that’s highly functional.

That blue truck you noted looking good is running a 4” BDS kit actually.

Zone = BDS with some weaker components and less attention to the proper details. Other than that they’re the same.

I actually prefer a 3” to 5” kit with coil overs. I prefer to keep the angles less extreme by spreading the change through more of the drivetrain. You can gain a lot of the travel and desired ride quality without added track width of long travel if you don’t want your $hit sticking out.

Performance can be had with a lift kit, and they’re not all created equal. BDS with Fox, Superlift with King, Fabtech with Dirt Logic - all make quality systems in the 4” to 8” range.

More height is just personal preference. High offset wheels, with low profile tires, are too, and aren’t really functional.

I guess what I’m trying to say is.... lots of guys know “the answer”

Not sure if you read my post lol. We agree. On literally everything... except for performance. Performance goes out the window when you go higher than 4" on these trucks. My mind explodes every time I come on here when I see somebody spending 3k on a $hitty 6" lift, another 1k on some $hitty China wheels, another 1k on some $hitty low profile tires, and another 1-2k for somebody to put it on. You just spent 6-7k on making your truck ride like a POS, look out of proportion (like a roller skate) and took a massive loss in power/performance when you could have spent that exact same 6-7k put on king/fox coilovers/rear shocks/+1 leaf (2k), aftermarket UCA's (700 bux), and supercharged/re-geared it (4-5k) for about the same money. Not only would it perform better 1000x over, it also would look better. But that seems to be lost around here. 

4 hours ago, Shick1K9 said:

I totally enjoy coming on here and catching up with a lot of the conversations from time to time, but I find it hilarious that there is always people with the belief that things should be done one way and they are quick to say that’s just my opinion after they say it ????....  That’s what makes this country great, because you are allowed to have and voice your opinion. To some on this forum they believe if you own a truck it’s meant to be used as a work horse beater. Well I didn’t buy my truck because I needed a work vehicle or wanted a good ride.  WTF!?!? Since we have opinions, I believe all trucks ride horrible off the show room floor and they handle like ******. So when I read comments about lifting your truck destroys the  ride quality it makes me believe that those that say that only own trucks and have never owned a vehicle that’s meant for the “Road”. I bought my fully loaded 2019 Z71 in December and at times if felt like I was sitting on a water bed the way the soggy Rancho shocks poorly absorbed irregularities in the road.

I am more impressed with the solid planted feel of my truck now after I lifted it versus the sloppy stock set up. You get what you pay for when it comes to lifting your vehicle. This statement is really going to hurt some feelings on here; my truck is 100% a toy, and it looks exactly how I want it to look. And to be honest, I’m totally blown away by the crazy attention it receives when ever I drive it. The experience is totally shocking. The out pouring of love and curiosity is truly unreal. However, It wasn’t built to appeal to anyone but me and I’ve knocked it out the park. I’ve enjoyed it to the fullest with the modifications. 

A4EF62AC-6ED0-42C0-B8C0-90CF3953B542.jpeg

spacer.png

First off, if you wanted to go that route on a gasoline half-ton lol, you did it right lol (WTF did you buy a half-ton if you were going that route with that kind of $$$?). Everything I am about to say might sound like a hater/dick, but make no mistake, you have the best of what money can buy in regards to bolt-ons (don't know anything about the rest of your truck other than what I can see in the picture) for a half-ton "lifted-truck." Can't understate that enough. I have no idea why you did what you did on this platform (and don't have a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton) but kudos to you for actually going all-in. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could care less about the ride quality and think that your truck is "cool."

With that being said, I also have no doubt that you spent northwards of 20k to make that happen. I can think of a lot better ways in which I would like to spend 20k on my truck than to bolt a bunch of heavy, non-geometrically, conformed metal onto a half-ton truck, but again to each his own. You could have supercharged (4k) it, put a adjustable 4" King/Icon lift (2.5k), aluminum front/rear bumpers (which you did but I'm guessing yours are steel)(3k), re-geared (2k), put beadlocks wrapped in any tire you want (3k), aftermarket UCA & LCA's (2k), full set of skids (1.5k), headers (1.5k), performance exhaust (1.5k), etc. for around the same amount of money. I'd take the latter all day every day as you'd have 100,000,000x more functionality and an ironically better looking (and more aggressive) vehicle. 

Since you brought up ride quality let's talk about ride quality. I agree with your premise on any trucks ride quality off of the lot being sub-par (although they have come a long ways especially this gen) however we couldn't disagree more from there.  You and I both know that your vehicle is a nuisance to drive. In fact, I would not even consider daily driving your vehicle unless I lived in a super rural town, where I never was in traffic, never went off-road and never drove more than 5 miles one-way. If it is strictly a show truck that is one thing, but if you are saying that you increased the performance of your vehicle with your lift/wheels/tires, I am laughing. I'm sure you have taken a massive power loss on that truck and unless you re-geared and supercharged it, let's be real, that thing is a dinosaur that barely even moves, gets horrible MPG, is a joke to park, drive in traffic, is super stiff, can't be driven off-road, etc. Also not sure it looks as good as it does in that picture, in person. Your wheels stick out extra far and your truck isn't lifted THAAT much, which is kind of masked in the angle of that picture (you like the rest of the roller skaters, proportions are off). If I sound like a hater, I promise that is not the intent, it's more that I just don't understand...

You put a supercharger, re-gear, coilovers, amp-steps, beadlocks with AT tires and aftermarket UCA & LCA's and aftermarket bumpers/skids on one of these half tons you have perhaps the most bada$$ vehicle money can buy. Would have been "cool" to me if I was in high school and didn't know any better I guess. 

It boils down to that I see literally thousands of trucks posted on here that "wanna be" like your truck and don't see hardly any "off-road/desert/performance" builds. Like I've said time and time again, the whole industry is about to move away from builds like yours for the reasons I have highlighted and toward the "off-road/baja/desert" builds. You guys are trying to squeeze out a couple extra inches at the expense of EVERYTHING IMO. 

Read this post in 3-5 years. You're welcome...

Edited by superhighsierra

5 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

Not sure if you read my post lol. We agree. On literally everything... except for performance. Performance goes out the window when you go higher than 4" on these trucks. My mind explodes every time I come on here when I see somebody spending 3k on a $hitty 6" lift, another 1k on some $hitty China wheels, another 1k on some $hitty low profile tires, and another 1-2k for somebody to put it on. You just spent 6-7k on making your truck ride like a POS, look out of proportion (like a roller skate) and took a massive loss in power/performance when you could have spent that exact same 6-7k put on king/fox coilovers/rear shocks/+1 leaf (2k), aftermarket UCA's (700 bux), and supercharged/re-geared it (4-5k) for about the same money. Not only would it perform better 1000x over, it also would look better. But that seems to be lost around here. 

spacer.png

First off, if you wanted to go that route on a gasoline half-ton lol, you did it right lol (WTF did you buy a half-ton if you were going that route with that kind of $$$?). Everything I am about to say might sound like a hater/dick, but make no mistake, you have the best of what money can buy in regards to bolt-ons (don't know anything about the rest of your truck other than what I can see in the picture) for a half-ton "lifted-truck." Can't understate that enough. I have no idea why you did what you did on this platform (and don't have a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton) but kudos to you for actually going all-in. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could care less about the ride quality and think that your truck is "cool."

With that being said, I also have no doubt that you spent northwards of 20k to make that happen. I can think of a lot better ways in which I would like to spend 20k on my truck than to bolt a bunch of heavy, non-geometrically, conformed metal onto a half-ton truck, but again to each his own. You could have supercharged (4k) it, put a adjustable 4" King/Icon lift (2.5k), aluminum front/rear bumpers (which you did but I'm guessing yours are steel)(3k), re-geared (2k), put beadlocks wrapped in any tire you want (3k), aftermarket UCA & LCA's (2k), full set of skids (1.5k), headers (1.5k), performance exhaust (1.5k), etc. for around the same amount of money. I'd take the latter all day every day as you'd have 100,000,000x more functionality and an ironically better looking (and more aggressive) vehicle. 

Since you brought up ride quality let's talk about ride quality. I agree with your premise on any trucks ride quality off of the lot being sub-par (although they have come a long ways especially this gen) however we couldn't disagree more from there.  You and I both know that your vehicle is a nuisance to drive. In fact, I would not even consider daily driving your vehicle unless I lived in a super rural town, where I never was in traffic, never went off-road and never drove more than 5 miles one-way. If it is strictly a show truck that is one thing, but if you are saying that you increased the performance of your vehicle with your lift/wheels/tires, I am laughing. I'm sure you have taken a massive power loss on that truck and unless you re-geared and supercharged it, let's be real, that thing is a dinosaur that barely even moves, gets horrible MPG, is a joke to park, drive in traffic, is super stiff, can't be driven off-road, etc. Also not sure it looks as good as it does in that picture, in person. Your wheels stick out extra far and your truck isn't lifted THAAT much, which is kind of masked in the angle of that picture (you like the rest of the roller skaters, proportions are off). If I sound like a hater, I promise that is not the intent, it's more that I just don't understand...

You put a supercharger, re-gear, coilovers, amp-steps, beadlocks with AT tires and aftermarket UCA & LCA's and aftermarket bumpers/skids on one of these half tons you have perhaps the most bada$$ vehicle money can buy. Would have been "cool" to me if I was in high school and didn't know any better I guess. 

It boils down to that I see literally thousands of trucks posted on here that "wanna be" like your truck and don't see hardly any "off-road/desert/performance" builds. Like I've said time and time again, the whole industry is about to move away from builds like yours for the reasons I have highlighted and toward the "off-road/baja/desert" builds. You guys are trying to squeeze out a couple extra inches at the expense of EVERYTHING IMO. 

Who cares why he did what. If he loves his truck then I love his truck. Unless you’re going to spending YOUR money on upgrades for HIS truck why do you care so much. There’s times when you make some good points but just because you have an opinion doesn’t mean it’s gospel. You have a DC. ( At least your said in another post) In my opinion I don’t know why anyone in their right mind would buy one. But that’s just my opinion. If you like it and it makes you happy then I like It and I’m happy. Just be happy for other people when they spend THEIR money to fulfill THEIR “tastes.”

• Like 3

BDS 6” kit with custom Icon coilovers, I’ve since removed all the Icon components because I did the truck but I was very happy with it especially with the adjustable damping (CDCV). More in control and less bouncy.

You remove the icon stuff because you sold the truck? Or switched components? Looks really good!

I’m contemplating the BDS Fox kit, need to see how much adjustment I can get up front though. I think 5” is about where I want to sit. Not sure if a 4” kit and tasing the coil overs would be better. Or a 6” kit and bring it it down a little.

I’d get the fully adjustable coil overs so I can get the ride back. Need to call BDS

• Like 1

You remove the icon stuff because you sold the truck? Or switched components? Looks really good!

I’m contemplating the BDS Fox kit, need to see how much adjustment I can get up front though. I think 5” is about where I want to sit. Not sure if a 4” kit and tasing the coil overs would be better. Or a 6” kit and bring it it down a little.

I’d get the fully adjustable coil overs so I can get the ride back. Need to call BDS

I removed the icon stuff because I sold the truck, I’m selling all the icon stuff separately since I knew I’d lose out big time if I sold the truck with it all haha.

If you went with the 4” and increased preload to raise it to 5” it would make the ride worse, not terrible, just worse.
Not sure about doing a 6” and lowering it to 5” though. Give bds a call or even call Icon too, they’re great for answering questions.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FirstAscent said:

BDS 6” kit with custom Icon coilovers, I’ve since removed all the Icon components because I did the truck but I was very happy with it especially with the adjustable damping (CDCV). More in control and less bouncy.

14 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

spacer.png

And to my point, I own what I like and can care less about what you like. Those that have used my vehicle are totally impressed with it in every regard.  For the record I’m not a truck guy, but I’m a truck owner.  It’s a difference.  Since the build I drive it almost everyday because I love the feel, not because I have to drive it. My half ton non off road, non work use, hardly ever gets dirt on it truck is all “I” ever wanted in a “toy” and it’s paid for.  I OWN it.  Not sure why I’d put a 6k super charger on a vehicle that I don’t intend to race or go fast in...  In My Opinion that’s hideous! I have cars for that. My truck in it’s current state is all “I” want.  And as far as your beliefs on where truck trends will be in 5 years, who gives a $hit. I can care less about what or where trucks will be 5 years from now???.  Like really?!? You remind me of the Porsche purist that are upset that I have a carbon fiber hood and straight pipes on my 911 that will never be used on a track. I can smell the hate a mile away????.  At the end of the day; do what you want to with your property and use it how you please. Also relax a little, don’t get caught in the matrix of everyone and everything conforming to the status quo. Oh, one more thing...  the high school kids love my truck???, and their moms do too, so my son is the king of the high school kids when ever he takes the truck. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, spizike9 said:

Who cares why he did what. If he loves his truck then I love his truck. Unless you’re going to spending YOUR money on upgrades for HIS truck why do you care so much. There’s times when you make some good points but just because you have an opinion doesn’t mean it’s gospel. You have a DC. ( At least your said in another post) In my opinion I don’t know why anyone in their right mind would buy one. But that’s just my opinion. If you like it and it makes you happy then I like It and I’m happy. Just be happy for other people when they spend THEIR money to fulfill THEIR “tastes.”

To each his own. I just think there are a lot of people who go down a road and then the end product isn't what they think it is. LMAO on the DC comment. You guys are nuts. I'm just putting different information out there for people who lurk these forums as it seems to be a circle jerk highest regards in relation to things that go against every ounce of automotive knowledge I have accumulated for the past 30+ years. But totally agree on it not being my money and if it makes them happy, so be it.

4 hours ago, Shick1K9 said:

And to my point, I own what I like and can care less about what you like. Those that have used my vehicle are totally impressed with it in every regard.  For the record I’m not a truck guy, but I’m a truck owner.  It’s a difference.  Since the build I drive it almost everyday because I love the feel, not because I have to drive it. My half ton non off road, non work use, hardly ever gets dirt on it truck is all “I” ever wanted in a “toy” and it’s paid for.  I OWN it.  Not sure why I’d put a 6k super charger on a vehicle that I don’t intend to race or go fast in...  In My Opinion that’s hideous! I have cars for that. My truck in it’s current state is all “I” want.  And as far as your beliefs on where truck trends will be in 5 years, who gives a $hit. I can care less about what or where trucks will be 5 years from now???.  Like really?!? You remind me of the Porsche purist that are upset that I have a carbon fiber hood and straight pipes on my 911 that will never be used on a track. I can smell the hate a mile away????.  At the end of the day; do what you want to with your property and use it how you please. Also relax a little, don’t get caught in the matrix of everyone and everything conforming to the status quo. Oh, one more thing...  the high school kids love my truck???, and their moms do too, so my son is the king of the high school kids when ever he takes the truck. 

I re-read my comment and realize I sounded like a dick and was hating on your truck even though I said I wasn't multiple times lol. Didn't mean nothing by it. If your kid likes it that alone is worth it, and judging by your house in the background I'm sure it didn't make a dent either way, it's just where I'm from and on these boards, I see guys with $hitty lifts, $hitty wheels and quite frankly $hitty trucks who have spent the farm when they could have a really nice piece of machinery for the same money if they knew what they were doing and seen the big picture. 

Not sure you could see it more backwards on the status quo comment but I digress.