New to Boat Towing

2016 Chevy Silverado 4.3L V6 3.23

Reading through the manual: Max Trailer Weight 5,600 lbs, any other weights/limitations I should focus on ?

Looking into installing Class 3 Trailer hitch, is a class 3 pretty standard, sufficient ?

Im interested in 17-21' fiberglass center console in the future, any issues towing this type of boat (not knowing weight of boat / trailer etc )  

You’ll need to find out the weight and trailer weight combined as well as your gear and occupants. A weight distribution hitch may be required if it’s a pretty long length of a trailer, I’d get one anyway. Make sure you’ve got a trailer brake and trailer brakes too [emoji6]

Sent from above

Load trailer evenly. And always have a trailer braking system factory or otherwise. If express way driving is in your future there are trailer sway bars. I watched my uncle tear up his thoe. 5 people in it with packet full no braking system and he reversed camper in with sway and almost flipped it then two days later flooded the camper the under side held the water all in hundreds of gallons. It was all totaled out. Over a idiot and no $50 part. 

1 hour ago, PlanesGoodYa said:

Reading through the manual: Max Trailer Weight 5,600 lbs, any other weights/limitations I should focus on ?

Looking into installing Class 3 Trailer hitch, is a class 3 pretty standard, sufficient ?

Im interested in 17-21' fiberglass center console in the future, any issues towing this type of boat (not knowing weight of boat / trailer etc )  

You need to figure out what boat you're getting before you do anything to the truck

35 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Load trailer evenly. And always have a trailer braking system factory or otherwise. If express way driving is in your future there are trailer sway bars. I watched my uncle tear up his thoe. 5 people in it with packet full no braking system and he reversed camper in with sway and almost flipped it then two days later flooded the camper the under side held the water all in hundreds of gallons. It was all totaled out. Over a idiot and no $50 part. 

Is this English lol!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

You’ll need to find out the weight and trailer weight combined as well as your gear and occupants. A weight distribution hitch may be required if it’s a pretty long length of a trailer, I’d get one anyway. Make sure you’ve got a trailer brake and trailer brakes too emoji6.png

Who the hell is using a WD hitch with a boat trailer?  Especially something that his truck could tow?  

Nearly all boat trailers use surge brakes, so WD hitches won't work.  

44 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

You need to figure out what boat you're getting before you do anything to the truck

Why not just put a Class III on his truck?  They are rated @ 6000lbs, more than his truck is rated for, so that's not really a factor.  

Why not just put a Class III on his truck?  They are rated @ 6000lbs, more than his truck is rated for, so that's not really a factor.  

I’ve seen it on some legally maxed out, depending on his setup. Personally, I used my DMax setup in bed for mine.

Sent from above

Just trying to see if what I currently have, basic stock Silverado 1500 V6 can handle handle like a 19’ CC keywest. Seems like these boats weigh about 15-1700 lbs plus motor and trailer. From the manual, I believe class 3 hitch setup should be ok. 

Not it sure about WD hitches, that seems  unnecessary for what I need.

3 hours ago, PlanesGoodYa said:

Weights you need to pay attention to are tongue weight which goes towards your trucks gross weight, trailer/boat combination total weight, and truck trailer combined gross.  If you go over any of those you're over.  With half tons you usually hit truck gross first.  Your manual will tell you the different weight limits and the door jamb sticker will have a couple as well.

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

You’ll need to find out the weight and trailer weight combined as well as your gear and occupants. A weight distribution hitch may be required if it’s a pretty long length of a trailer, I’d get one anyway. Make sure you’ve got a trailer brake and trailer brakes too emoji6.png

Sent from above

Some trailer makers specifically state not to use WD setups.  Mine says not to even though someone in the last 30 years welded part of a system onto the trailer.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Who the hell is using a WD hitch with a boat trailer?  Especially something that his truck could tow?  

Nearly all boat trailers use surge brakes, so WD hitches won't work.  

There are WD/sway controls that are made to work with surge brakes.  Boats seem to be a catch 22 when it comes to towing.  Used to be in order to hit the max numbers for your truck you had to have a WD setup. That's why there are 2 numbers when towing with and without WD.  The catch comes in when the boat trailers state not to use WD setup.

• Like 1

Similar the the OP, I need some help with towing.  Is there anywhere that will explain the controls I have in my truck?  I have a trailer symbol on the right control knob ( the shifter).  And I have a slider switch up on the dash over the light control knob.  What are these things?  I have verified the my truck has a towing package.  Any direction would be appreciated.  

17 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

Similar the the OP, I need some help with towing.  Is there anywhere that will explain the controls I have in my truck?  I have a trailer symbol on the right control knob ( the shifter).  And I have a slider switch up on the dash over the light control knob.  What are these things?  I have verified the my truck has a towing package.  Any direction would be appreciated.  

Did you get an owner's manual with your truck?  These features along with useful tips are explained in the book.  This may also be online.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, PlanesGoodYa said:

Just trying to see if what I currently have, basic stock Silverado 1500 V6 can handle handle like a 19’ CC keywest. Seems like these boats weigh about 15-1700 lbs plus motor and trailer. From the manual, I believe class 3 hitch setup should be ok. 

Not it sure about WD hitches, that seems  unnecessary for what I need.

Head over to keywestboatsforum.com.  Lots of good info in the Trailers and Tow Vehicles section about what all of us are towing our Key West boats with.

I'm pulling my 176 CC (17'7") Key West with my 2018 5.3L, 6 speed, 3.42 geared Silverado LT with factory towing package and no trailer brakes. No issues with starting or stopping.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Did you get an owner's manual with your truck?  These features along with useful tips are explained in the book.  This may also be online.

Yes, but when I had a 4x4 question, someone was able to direct me to a YouTube video that explained everything in a way that really helped me understand. I was hoping someone might have a link like that on the towing controls.  It’s one thing to know what they are, I don’t, and another to see someone use them. Thought the point is taken.  I’ll see if I can find some search terms in the manual. 

You’ll likely be fine with a boat in that weight range. A dual axle trailer would be best with a boat of that length. Find a boat you want and run the numbers to be sure. Boats can vary a lot in weight even if they’re the same length. Also, 4WD can be very useful on a slick, steep boat ramp... not necessarily a requirement though. 

13 minutes ago, boilers said:

You’ll likely be fine with a boat in that weight range. A dual axle trailer would be best with a boat of that length. Find a boat you want and run the numbers to be sure. Boats can vary a lot in weight even if they’re the same length. Also, 4WD can be very useful on a slick, steep boat ramp... not necessarily a requirement though. 

Thanks for the info!

22 minutes ago, Enough said:

Head over to keywestboatsforum.com.  Lots of good info in the Trailers and Tow Vehicles section about what all of us are towing our Key West boats with.

I'm pulling my 176 CC (17'7") Key West with my 2018 5.3L, 6 speed, 3.42 geared Silverado LT with factory towing package and no trailer brakes. No issues with starting or stopping.  

Thanks, I’ll check it out