I purchased a brand new 2019 2500HD LTZ Iridescent Pearl,  2 weeks ago here in Oklahoma. The truck had 26 miles on the odometer. 3 days after I brought it  home, I gave it its first washing. I was so proud of this brand new truck until I ran into rust, on the lower part of the doors. I thought to myself I just purchased a brand new truck for $60,000, why in the world am I seeing rust. I immediately crawled under the truck to find multiple components that have significant/moderate red rust showing. The trans pan and rear disc brake covers are losing their plating with rust coming through.

I immediately contacted the salesman asking to bring the truck back and trade for a different one, but......I was told financing already went through and they could not take it back. That was 3 days of ownership. It's been very painful and disappointing to this point, but I did get the truck into the Service Manager and he took pics and trying to see what GM is willing to do. I just came back to Chevrolet after years of Purchasing Ford products. I even have my 1949 5 Window that I drove in college.

Has anybody seen this before on brand new GM trucks? See Pics

IMG_20190712_094317285_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190712_094353972_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190712_094448881.jpg

IMG_20190712_101652295.jpg

The “rust” on the paint is raildust. A good clay bar application, polish, and coating on the surface will fix that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

It is very sad that other manufacturers take precautions to limit/prevent rail dust when they transport via railroad, yet GM has not done this. 

How so??? You can get rail dust after transport doesn’t just apply to that .

My 2010 and wife’s toyota van would get it in the winter, most likely from salt / snow plowing. Doesn’t t take much need to clay polish and protect repeat over time.

Ryan B.

$60k, you didn't spend enough to get a rust free truck. If you had spent $65k or more you would have been fine. Not sure what the price of the truck has to do with it, does that put you in an elite trouble free bracket or something that LT folks have to deal with?

In all seriousness it isn't a GM thing, it is a common unfinished issue between all brands from rusty parts that aren't coated and don't need to be to rail dust that hits every car and manufacturer that is sent on a rail and not wrapped in plastic. The paint the dealer should take care of for you or you can simple enough. The other stuff under the truck will cause no issues for a very long time, it is hidden and if it bothers you throw a coat of paint on it. Go look at any truck at particular parts that are uncoated and you will see the same thing. Coming in here whining about something if you had searched would have seen is a common non-issue and talking about returning the truck isn't a good first impression...  

https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/rust-on-a-new-truck.246523/

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/rust-brand-new-truck-431265/

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/rail-dust.64133/

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS824US824&q=F150+rail+dust&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjksNOd6M3jAhXHna0KHammCe8QBQgsKAA&biw=1521&bih=632

Tyler

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My friend,  I dont buy many new trucks....but when I have,  the first thing that I do is crawl underneath.  Jeans and a TEE shirt....crawl all over underneath.  If you are too big to fit.....make the dealer put it up on a hoist.  I would not have bought that truck.  My 2015 ...built in Mexico.....had absolutly no rust anywhere.  And yes....after about a month.....I started painting and  spraying Amsoil Metal Protector inside everything.    These trucks are built for people to lease...rent.....for 2 or 3 years.  Run the shit out of it, and give it back.  GM does not care.  Guys like me who want to keep a truck for a long time....have to do our own rustproofing.  Its sad....but its just life.  Consider it a lesson learned.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2019 at 7:31 PM, Malibu SS said:

My friend,  I dont buy many new trucks....but when I have,  the first thing that I do is crawl underneath.  Jeans and a TEE shirt....crawl all over underneath.  If you are too big to fit.....make the dealer put it up on a hoist.  I would not have bought that truck.  My 2015 ...built in Mexico.....had absolutly no rust anywhere.  And yes....after about a month.....I started painting and  spraying Amsoil Metal Protector inside everything.    These trucks are built for people to lease...rent.....for 2 or 3 years.  Run the shit out of it, and give it back.  GM does not care.  Guys like me who want to keep a truck for a long time....have to do our own rustproofing.  Its sad....but its just life.  Consider it a lesson learned.

Totally agree.  Live in Pittsburgh, have had the truck since new in Feb 2017 but I've spent time under it in the warm months hitting the frame rust with rust neutralizer then re-coating with Daubert's. Even took the hitch off and had it professionally powder coated. Bottom side literally looks better than new.  I know I'm out there, but it's my thing.  I paid a lot for the truck and will drive it 10 years.