Bought truck in July and had infotainment issues from the start, the screen is black but backlit, the screen displays but will not work with touch, sometimes the hard buttons will move it other times not. The climate control changes sometimes will display, loss of back up markers, sometimes loss of back up camera with a screen error of connection lost, audio is lost sometimes, CarPlay won't always sync and I'm sure other things I am forgetting as well. Only has issues on start up, never going down the road so I don't think its a lose or broken wire, improper pin alignment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Its so random how long it doesn't work for, not very often stopping and starting will fix it, sometimes its a day or more before it works again. 

The radio was replaced at dealer, 2 weeks later it starts acting up again, dealer worked with TAC(?) to determine they were replacing the radio again, strike forced it to be delayed but eventually replaced, less than 2 weeks later same thing, then they replaced the screen/digitizer, I went to pick it up, started truck and screen was blank. Now after having my truck for about 3 weeks (this time) GM wants to try replacing the bus cable from radio to screen but they want me to not connect my iPhone as they think it could be causing the issue, even with video documentation showing my phone not plugged in and blue tooth disabled and 2 times with dealership mechanics seeing my phone in my pocket. 

My questions are -  

1) anyone else have this issue? what was the fix?

2) What kind of compensation should I be seeking for 5, almost 6 months now of it not working right, repeated trips to dealership, long waits in lounge, being told it was fixed only to show up and it's not? I have kept extensive records for every time it happens, videos of probably half of the instances. 

Edited by tommy2wheels
added tags for quick search

I’ve gone through the same thing as you. I have the non HD 8” screen. They’ve replaced parts, replaced entire unit, every update etc to no avail. I hired a lawyer due to this and other issues with the truck. I suggest the same. Gm offers were insulting when I opened my case with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tuna mac said:

I had this happen 5 times in the second week of owning mine. Since then, it hasn’t happened for 2 weeks straight. No idea why though. 

When my radios and screen were replaced, I got up to about 2 weeks before I had any more issues, then more frequently I'm sad to report. 

18 hours ago, Thejet07 said:

I’ve gone through the same thing as you. I have the non HD 8” screen. They’ve replaced parts, replaced entire unit, every update etc to no avail. I hired a lawyer due to this and other issues with the truck. I suggest the same. Gm offers were insulting when I opened my case with them.

I'm not trying to be nosey but what did GM offer you? how did you pick a lawyer out? My internet searches lead me to some crazy sites, that remind me of scam/spam sites. What are you asking for in your case? What do you expect to get? Please feel free to private message me if you'd like, I'm trying to debate since all I have is a radio issue what its worth as far as my time and money. 

Update- Just drove 3 hrs with a black screen, backup cam worked but no markers, no climate control indications when I changed fan speed or anything, hard buttons did nothing. Stopped and started, no change but I may have forgotten this on my original post, when I turned it off and opened the door, the screen displayed for about 1-2 seconds before it went black. then starting it back up, still was black

21 minutes ago, tommy2wheels said:

Update- Just drove 3 hrs with a black screen, backup cam worked but no markers, no climate control indications when I changed fan speed or anything, hard buttons did nothing. Stopped and started, no change but I may have forgotten this on my original post, when I turned it off and opened the door, the screen displayed for about 1-2 seconds before it went black. then starting it back up, still was black

The one time mine went black, it did the same exact thing. Literally same thing, open door and it flicked on for a second then back to black, backup camera worked but no grid lines.  I took mine in but they didn’t do anything because it didn’t have issues while they had it. Only thing that has reliably fixed it for me is turning the truck off for more than 2 full minutes. Although it only the did the black screen thing once, the rest of the times were just the touch screen not responding to touch. I’m pretty convinced it can’t be a loose connection because like you said it never happens while driving, once it’s working it continues to work. It’s only on start up that the dice is rolled to see if it works. 

So this is interesting. What they want to do now is replace the cable from the screen to the radio, pin misaligned or wire broken is their thoughts. I'm confident this won't fix it, I think they have an issue with their code inside the radio but I can't prove it. Good luck to you, I'll keep this updated with my status, hopefully it helps someone else out. 

I'm not trying to be nosey but what did GM offer you? how did you pick a lawyer out? My internet searches lead me to some crazy sites, that remind me of scam/spam sites. What are you asking for in your case? What do you expect to get? Please feel free to private message me if you'd like, I'm trying to debate since all I have is a radio issue what its worth as far as my time and money. 

No worries at all. Gm offered me an extended warranty first go around. Then, they said we can’t buy it back but if you wait til your factory warranty or 36k we may be able to help you. Lastly, they said trade it in and maybe we could help with recovering some loss. They also told me since they have no fix and have no timeline on engineer they were going to close my case. That is when I immediately called a lawyer. The nerve to tell me to take a loss and trade it in on a product that’s defective.
Another member here recommended a lawyer from the ny tri state area that I’m using. I just opened up the case less than three weeks ago so no details yet. I’m completely dumbfounded. I fit all my states lemon law requirements and gm asked me to take a loss on a brand new defective truck. Insane

I've had this happen 3x times in my 2019 Trail Boss.  I have about 3K miles on my truck, 6 months old.  

So after the last time, I decided to google it and one website suggests that the Infotainment needs a "reset" similar to how your home laptop computer has hiccups sometimes.   The site said for GM vehicles to reset the infotainment to push the On-Star button to make a call, let it ring once or twice and then push it again to hang-up.  I haven't tried this yet, but next time I get the "blank screen" on my unit, I'll give it a try. 

PS - Oddly enough, it seems like 2x of the times this has happened to me, was right after i got one of those "On Star Services" truck diagnostic email reports.  

Wondering if the system downloads they run, are screwing up the computer on the truck, hence requiring a "reset" after they do it???  I'll pay more attention to it next time around, start to keep a Log/Report.  

3 hours ago, Thejet07 said:

No worries at all. Gm offered me an extended warranty first go around. Then, they said we can’t buy it back but if you wait til your factory warranty or 36k we may be able to help you. Lastly, they said trade it in and maybe we could help with recovering some loss. They also told me since they have no fix and have no timeline on engineer they were going to close my case. That is when I immediately called a lawyer. The nerve to tell me to take a loss and trade it in on a product that’s defective.
Another member here recommended a lawyer from the ny tri state area that I’m using. I just opened up the case less than three weeks ago so no details yet. I’m completely dumbfounded. I fit all my states lemon law requirements and gm asked me to take a loss on a brand new defective truck. Insane

I'm seriously slightly steaming over your response or what your dealer said, that is insanity! So far mine has been great, I've got courtesy vehicles for over 3 weeks, 2020 loaded ones even. They want to wait for the fix to comp me anything or offer anything which I'm not too pleased about especially after finding this site and seeing this isn't just a me and my truck problem. Weird thing is on these courtesy rides, no issues what so ever with anything. They said its different modules and the trail boss is different but one of the rides was a 2020 RST which I would think would be the same, idk. Coworker bought the same truck and has had zero issues so far which also baffles me. 

I'm not sure I fit the lemon law as its just a radio but honestly, GM and dealer would have been further ahead now to have sent me to a custom radio shop and installed some other brand radio, speakers, amps, a sub box, maybe some video monitors than to keep wasting all their time and money

3 hours ago, Doolin-Dalton said:

I've had this happen 3x times in my 2019 Trail Boss.  I have about 3K miles on my truck, 6 months old.  

So after the last time, I decided to google it and one website suggests that the Infotainment needs a "reset" similar to how your home laptop computer has hiccups sometimes.   The site said for GM vehicles to reset the infotainment to push the On-Star button to make a call, let it ring once or twice and then push it again to hang-up.  I haven't tried this yet, but next time I get the "blank screen" on my unit, I'll give it a try. 

This is interesting, haven't heard or seen that before. I also don't have On-Star so I'm really screwed if that's it

• Confused 1

I'm seriously slightly steaming over your response or what your dealer said, that is insanity! So far mine has been great, I've got courtesy vehicles for over 3 weeks, 2020 loaded ones even. They want to wait for the fix to comp me anything or offer anything which I'm not too pleased about especially after finding this site and seeing this isn't just a me and my truck problem. Weird thing is on these courtesy rides, no issues what so ever with anything. They said its different modules and the trail boss is different but one of the rides was a 2020 RST which I would think would be the same, idk. Coworker bought the same truck and has had zero issues so far which also baffles me. 

I'm not sure I fit the lemon law as its just a radio but honestly, GM and dealer would have been further ahead now to have sent me to a custom radio shop and installed some other brand radio, speakers, amps, a sub box, maybe some video monitors than to keep wasting all their time and money

The dealership has been pretty accommodating when it came to loaners. However, I test drove many times with the shop manager replicating all my issues and then when I would leave they would say can’t replicate and no fix. I literally just showed them and then that crap they would pull. I have videos and pictures with all my issues. Gm exec would ask me to take it in and test drive with shop manager which I did multiple times. At one point I brought it in for fix and they didn’t. I said I’m not leaving til I test it with shop manager again because service writer kept telling me there was nothing wrong. Well, I had service writer, shop manager and service manager in the truck with me and needless to say the truck stayed. I wasted more of my time driving back and forth. Gm exec had just strung me along telling me I know there are problems but we can’t fix them. Wtf? The list goes on. Funny thing is I’m one of the unfortunate or shall I say unlucky ones who just came from a 2018 f150 lemon. Believe it or not. After dealing with ford, Chevy customer service is actually better. Not saying much

i went through  the same shit with my 2019 trail boss leaving it at dealer for weeks at a time with them saying they cant find anything and its not happening when they have it.call GMC THERE NO HELP. after 10 months for the back and forth i got feed up and traded it in taking a $3500,00 loss plus 10 months worth of payments down the drain . and got a 2020 trail boss ...its sad that i had to trade in a 10 month old truck with 4700 miles on it and GM not do a thing to make it right.

p,s, lemon law  lawyer was a joke said it would take 2 years 

Edited by BLUE TRAIL BOSS