Excellent rant Shawn, and extremely accurate. You did leave out one very important thing. Most buyers that financed a new Silverado are so upside down in their loan, thanks to the huge drop in trade in value once the papers are signed that switching brands is financially impossible. I paid over $12,000 down on a truck discounted $10,000 and when it dumped it's transmission at 357 miles I tried to trade it back in, only to be told I'd owe another $10,000 to trade up one year model. 

Alright, I'll firstly admit that I haven't made my way through the previous 802 pages yet but I plan to.  I'm a new '18 Silverado owner for about 3 months and maybe 3500 miles.  I can't say that I've noticed any "alarming" vibrations but I guess I'm curious as to what to look for or pay attention to.  I did see somewhere a video of a water bottle in the cup holder and it was vibrating more than a snare drum at a jazz concert.  I haven't noticed that per se but again, this truck is quite new.  As a comparison, I also don't notice at all when the truck shifts from V4 to V8 with the AFM but obviously some folks can tell that difference.

Mostly I'm concerned because tomorrow I'm going to drop $1100 on paint protection film because I love my iridescent pearl paint and want it to hold up.  I'm just concerned about putting money into something that may have a serious flaw that will annoy the hell out of me in time.  I pay attention to the details and I'm still a little grumbly about how the paint on the grill and headlights is a slight bit darker than the rest of the car "because it's painted plastic (though the mirror caps match perfectly)".  I obviously accepted that and it isn't that noticeable but I know it's there.

Anyway, from some brief reading, it seems this issue manifests for different people at different times/speeds/conditions.  I'm just wondering what I should be on the lookout for.

Thanks all for the input and even the rant.  It is now 37 days and counting with no end in sight.  At least I have a 2018 double cab 4X4 that GM is picking up the tab from

Enterprise so it puts a little salve on the wound.  Since I have the 3.23 gears and the peak shake is at 80-81mph it would explain why many with the 3.42 gears

would shake in the 75 mph range with the 5.8% difference in ratio and the driveshaft would be spinning the same rpm before the rear end.  So the driveshaft

makes more sense all the time, but will GM replace it.  Just a note...when going through arbitration the GM rep stated the 5year/60k drive line warranty extended to

and included the rear axles.  Trust he knew his business so that extends the 3yr/36k B-B warranty period some of us thought let GM off the hook for our shake issues.

To be continued......

On 2018-08-13 at 3:52 PM, mjb4450 said:

Congrats Shawn.  I find it stunning that someone who gets screwed by a corporation after being a loyal customer, then rightfully decides to move on and do what's right for himself and buy a different brand, would then have his new higher quality vehicle insulted.  I drop in to the Forum occasionally and I find it amazing that so many people after five years of swapping tires, driveshafts, shocks, and a myriad of other parts, repeatedly, over and over and over and spending countless hours and unknown sums and still ending up with a Shakerado, would not have also moved along.  I guess it's like the battered wife syndrome.  It took me about three trips to the dealer and getting nowhere on the problems I had on my 2014 Silverado for me to move on and I've been extremely happy with my Ram.  I intend to get the new style Ram in a year.  So, again, congrats on your Tundra and smooth trails to you.

I hope you dont go with that ram the tipm is still the same on this gen aswell there is no change with dodge on this gen really same shit diffrent body.  I worked for Ford gm ram and yota.  Fords 5l and gm ford 10 speed are outstanding almost as good as yodas combo 

23 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

I hope you dont go with that ram the tipm is still the same on this gen aswell there is no change with dodge on this gen really same shit diffrent body.  I worked for Ford gm ram and yota.  Fords 5l and gm ford 10 speed are outstanding almost as good as yodas combo 

I have also owned five Challengers since 2010 in addition to my Ram.  I'm on other forums.  The only TIPM problems identified in all that time were on the early models, say 2008-2010.  Other than that, there is a current recall for a quick computer flash because a short in the TIPM could cause the cruise control to not disengage if the short occurred at the same moment the cruise was accelerating.  I've owned, other than cars but trucks only, four GM's, six Fords and one Ram.  After having enough with the poor customer service on my last Chevy, initially I chose Ram solely because they still use a port injection so there would not be the carbon problems with the D.I. engines.  Ford was not a player either because I didn't want a lawn mower engine with turbos strapped on all over the place plus their mileage claims were grossly over-rated. You're right about the 5.0 engine though. Always been a good engine.  I've had Mustangs as well.  I haven't experienced their 10 speed but Chrysler's 8 speed is also an excellent tranny.  Of all those trucks the Ram has had the fewest problems and highest quality materials on the interior as well as the smoothest ride and when something did go wrong, they actually fixed it.  So I will stick with them until that changes.  I'm not a fanboy of one particular brand.  I did like the styling of the Chevy's the best, although the new Rams are a big improvement over the outgoing model.  But I shop based on all the factors not just looks or loyalty.  Loyalty to me, comes in when it flows both ways.  I'm glad to be loyal to a company when that company is loyal to me.

Just started vibrating, very intermittently. Balance, rotated, new tie-rod ends, alignment, etc.  35,400 miles. never had a vibration. One day it started, like driving over a rumble strip, lasts  just for a second to a few seconds. Speed & road surface doesn't seem to matter. I can drive 100 miles and it might not  do it at all. it might do it within a mile or 2. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes it feels front  end related & sometimes it feels like it's through the whole truck. Does this sound like the same vibration problem referred to in this thread to y"all? 2015 Sierra Black Widow, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 35 inch Nitto Ridge Grapplers... 

2 hours ago, mjb4450 said:

I have also owned five Challengers since 2010 in addition to my Ram.  I'm on other forums.  The only TIPM problems identified in all that time were on the early models, say 2008-2010.  Other than that, there is a current recall for a quick computer flash because a short in the TIPM could cause the cruise control to not disengage if the short occurred at the same moment the cruise was accelerating.  I've owned, other than cars but trucks only, four GM's, six Fords and one Ram.  After having enough with the poor customer service on my last Chevy, initially I chose Ram solely because they still use a port injection so there would not be the carbon problems with the D.I. engines.  Ford was not a player either because I didn't want a lawn mower engine with turbos strapped on all over the place plus their mileage claims were grossly over-rated. You're right about the 5.0 engine though. Always been a good engine.  I've had Mustangs as well.  I haven't experienced their 10 speed but Chrysler's 8 speed is also an excellent tranny.  Of all those trucks the Ram has had the fewest problems and highest quality materials on the interior as well as the smoothest ride and when something did go wrong, they actually fixed it.  So I will stick with them until that changes.  I'm not a fanboy of one particular brand.  I did like the styling of the Chevy's the best, although the new Rams are a big improvement over the outgoing model.  But I shop based on all the factors not just looks or loyalty.  Loyalty to me, comes in when it flows both ways.  I'm glad to be loyal to a company when that company is loyal to me.

Im speaking from a dealership level and the timp problems still persist aswell as various hemi issues.  There is so many flaws with the ram its too long to list but you sound like a dodge guy so...  Good luck in your endevours 

Bought a new 2018 Lt 4wd back in March. Noticed the clunk when down shifting on up hills when passing. Took it to the dealership at 10k for oil change and tire rotation. Asked them to look into the clunk... Guess what.. They couldn't replicate it and said it is part and parcel of the 4wd system. So I pick up my truck which has been very smooth other than the clunk to this point... Got the shakes. Very noticeable. Feels like I'm bouncing when the road is smooth. Got to take it back for them to rebalance the tires... That's the only thing I can think of that changed from Tuesday morning when I dropped it off and when I picked it up Tuesday evening 

3 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Im speaking from a dealership level and the timp problems still persist aswell as various hemi issues.  There is so many flaws with the ram its too long to list but you sound like a dodge guy so...  Good luck in your endevours 

I've heard this as well. I've never owned a Dodge, but I know people who have. They have all had issues, but the issues they have are really strange.

One guy I work with took his new (<1 year) Ram out on a hunting trip up in the boonies. On his way up, out of cellular range, the trucks computer says there is a problem and starts counting down until the truck will shut itself off. The truck was running fine. It was the computer that decided to shut the truck down. I didn't even know that was a thing. He ended up having to bum a ride into civilization to call a tow. Ruined his trip.

Another guy I know was driving his Ram and his turn signal would randomly come on. It led to a lot of confusion. One other girl I know who bought an older ram (pre-Fiat) had her steering lock up while driving. Scared her so bad she refused to drive it again. I don't blame her. I've heard other strange stuff.

What I've heard and seen is that Rams have great engines (especially diesels), but nearly everything else on the truck is a hot mess.

The quality of truck notwithstanding, everyone I know have all said Chrysler/Dodge was really nice to deal with. The absolute opposite of nearly everything I'm hearing from people who have to deal with GM. 

17 hours ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

Excellent rant Shawn, and extremely accurate. You did leave out one very important thing. Most buyers that financed a new Silverado are so upside down in their loan, thanks to the huge drop in trade in value once the papers are signed that switching brands is financially impossible. I paid over $12,000 down on a truck discounted $10,000 and when it dumped it's transmission at 357 miles I tried to trade it back in, only to be told I'd owe another $10,000 to trade up one year model. 

True, I did miss that. All I can say is if you kept your truck I'm excellent shape like I did. Try to bring it to another brand dealer after you have scoped something out at night and really get a look at it.

I sat in the Tundra for about 1/2 hr  no keys, just tinkering with the immediate surroundings and tried to picture myself driving it. It sunk in and it felt like the right decision and I literally didn't even look back once at that Silverado. 

People in the dealership asked if I would miss such a nice looking truck. I said, " there is not a lot to miss"

Edited by Shawn5800

On 8/14/2018 at 9:54 AM, Chevelleguy3 said:

Update..... Got my truck back from the dealer yesterday. They were not able to fix the issue and since the truck is used an not under warranty anymore they didn’t try that hard either.  They did road force balance the tires, perform complete (caster, camber, toe) alignment and the shake was still there but not near as bad.  They swapped wheels and tires from a brand new truck, same size 275/55-20 tires but they were Goodyear Eagle LS-2 with the factory polished aluminum 20x9’s and the shake was gone.  They are blaming the aftermarket Fuel wheels and BFG All-Terrain K02’s for the shake.  Even though the shake is not near as bad, it’s still present.  Since swapping the wheels and tires “fixed” the shake I’m probably going to take the truck to either Discount Tire or an off-road shop who deals with Fuel wheels and all terrain tires on a regular basis and see if they can get them balanced properly to get rid of the shake.  If not I’ll just deal with it as it’s much better than it was before.  It’s not enough to make me hate the truck or GM.

All brands have their issues, I’ve been a GM guy for years but I’ve looked at and owned Fords and Dodges.  I’ve even looked at Toyota and Nissan.  Most vehicles out there are reliable and would get the job done but my preference is still GM. Coming to a GM forum to knock GM and say other brands are better is not the thing to do, I hope your Toyota, Dodge, Ford, etc does well for you. It will have problems too, just a different set of problems. Enjoy.

Another update... took the truck to Discount Tire and requested a road force balance. After dealing with a missing wheel lock key issue since the truck was used when I bought it. The road force came out clean without having to re-align the tires on the wheels.  However, all 4 tires were way out of balance. 2 of them were over 4oz out of balance. The other 2 were 2-3.5oz out. After balancing them at Discount Tire, it’s smooth as butter and no more shake.  I’m not sure what went wrong at the dealership or even if they did the balance and wheel swap to begin with since there was a missing wheel lock key.

On 8/15/2018 at 12:53 AM, colonel00 said:

Alright, I'll firstly admit that I haven't made my way through the previous 802 pages yet but I plan to.  I'm a new '18 Silverado owner for about 3 months and maybe 3500 miles.  I can't say that I've noticed any "alarming" vibrations but I guess I'm curious as to what to look for or pay attention to.  I did see somewhere a video of a water bottle in the cup holder and it was vibrating more than a snare drum at a jazz concert.  I haven't noticed that per se but again, this truck is quite new.  As a comparison, I also don't notice at all when the truck shifts from V4 to V8 with the AFM but obviously some folks can tell that difference.

Mostly I'm concerned because tomorrow I'm going to drop $1100 on paint protection film because I love my iridescent pearl paint and want it to hold up.  I'm just concerned about putting money into something that may have a serious flaw that will annoy the hell out of me in time.  I pay attention to the details and I'm still a little grumbly about how the paint on the grill and headlights is a slight bit darker than the rest of the car "because it's painted plastic (though the mirror caps match perfectly)".  I obviously accepted that and it isn't that noticeable but I know it's there.

Anyway, from some brief reading, it seems this issue manifests for different people at different times/speeds/conditions.  I'm just wondering what I should be on the lookout for.

Enjoy your truck. It sounds like you got a good one. 

Finally

I have new tires and my truck is smooth as it’s ever been! 47k on odo

cant believe I drove 30k with the truck like it  was.  Guess I had terrible luck with my previous tires.  

The SrA-s begAn the shake.

then I bought Mikey Thompson’s and it was no better.

im very impressed with these Nitto G2 all-terrains. Super soft comfort tire. Well see how long they last shake free.

ill follow up with road-trip results. 

As suspected one must have hi-quality tire or these trucks will shake very bad even when the wheel balancer says it’s fine.

i bought from the dealer In case  I had to keep trying for another set. 

I think I can even feel the drive-shaft working now ,lol

Finally it feels like I’m driving the Chevrolet I wanted!

DF4CFAC3-2162-4420-BDBD-F39A84D18FD6.jpeg

40FF8D5C-CA60-49CF-B340-F4D363832D41.jpeg

I've had my 2017 Silverado Crew Cab for a year. I'd occasionally notice a vibration at highway speed. I figured, big tires... OK. This would happen with my Hummer H3 too.

Installed aluminum rollup tonneau cover last night (GM PN; 19333082). On my way to work this morning the ride was noticeably smoother and a bit quieter. I'm wondering now how much of the shaking was due to cross wind affect on the open bed.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:32 AM, desertz said:

I've had my 2017 Silverado Crew Cab for a year. I'd occasionally notice a vibration at highway speed. I figured, big tires... OK. This would happen with my Hummer H3 too.

Installed aluminum rollup tonneau cover last night (GM PN; 19333082). On my way to work this morning the ride was noticeably smoother and a bit quieter. I'm wondering now how much of the shaking was due to cross wind affect on the open bed.

The tech made me take my fiberglass shell off, saying it could create some vib/shake. My covers now off with no issues. It’s  300# I think? These trucks can get a vibe, it’s nothing compared to tire shake I was dealing with..

Edited by Gofas