Ill have to agree with Baytrucker, brand loyalty is what held me so long. I made myself believe that no brand could possibly fit me better. Its official, I am out of my 15 Shakerado and in a 15 Tundra. The wife and i drove it for about 60 miles today and i had a smile on my face the entire time. The 5.7 growls and moves when you put your foot in it. Oh and, it does NOT shake. I feel like i am driving a truck, which is the feeling I have been searching for. 

I wish you all luck in your fight with GM. Try to be open minded to the fact that GM is really just screwing you in the end.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shawn5800 said:

Ill have to agree with Baytrucker, brand loyalty is what held me so long. I made myself believe that no brand could possibly fit me better. Its official, I am out of my 15 Shakerado and in a 15 Tundra. The wife and i drove it for about 60 miles today and i had a smile on my face the entire time. The 5.7 growls and moves when you put your foot in it. Oh and, it does NOT shake. I feel like i am driving a truck, which is the feeling I have been searching for. 

I wish you all luck in your fight with GM. Try to be open minded to the fact that GM is really just screwing you in the end.

Congrats on your purchase. Big decision, but I'm sure you will never regret it.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, Snoringbear said:

Never buy a first year model which the 2019 Silverado 1500 is.  However, I my buy the 2020.  We shall see....

By then they may not even have a V8 anymore.  Everyone is turbocharging small 4 and 6 cylinder engines now.  With all the problems they have now all they need is a crappy quality turbo and undersized intercooler made in China.   

Edited by pm26

I pulled the passenger rear wheel off to fiddle with some Plasti Dip and tossed the spare on because it's been too humid as of late (really, I'm just realistic about how long it will take me to do.)  Low and behold, the shake has appeared at 70 MPH and above.  I'm looking forward to putting the stock wheel back on.

Congrats Shawn.  I find it stunning that someone who gets screwed by a corporation after being a loyal customer, then rightfully decides to move on and do what's right for himself and buy a different brand, would then have his new higher quality vehicle insulted.  I drop in to the Forum occasionally and I find it amazing that so many people after five years of swapping tires, driveshafts, shocks, and a myriad of other parts, repeatedly, over and over and over and spending countless hours and unknown sums and still ending up with a Shakerado, would not have also moved along.  I guess it's like the battered wife syndrome.  It took me about three trips to the dealer and getting nowhere on the problems I had on my 2014 Silverado for me to move on and I've been extremely happy with my Ram.  I intend to get the new style Ram in a year.  So, again, congrats on your Tundra and smooth trails to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mjb4450 said:

Congrats Shawn.  I find it stunning that someone who gets screwed by a corporation after being a loyal customer, then rightfully decides to move on and do what's right for himself and buy a different brand, would then have his new higher quality vehicle insulted.

You must be new to the internet. :lol:

I chalk it up to insecurities. Some people make the brands they buy as a part of their core identity, so an attack on that brand is an attack on them personally. Some of it is sunken cost fallacy too. People spend a lot of money on these trucks, so it takes a lot of humility to acknowledge you may have made a mistake on how you spent that money. Its almost like admitting you got conned. Not an easy thing to do publicly. 

Whatever causes it, brand loyalty is rampant here. All you can do is ignore it. That being said, its logical to expect some disapproval coming into a GM forum and announcing you just bought a Toyota.

Sometimes the best solution is just to jump ship and not look back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I traded my 07 burb with 190k for a 2016 burb with 28k, GM certified, I've got 38k on it now, this is my 8th Suburban. I've had the motor mounts replaced within the first month and had the truck in for transmission shifting issues that they say are just normal. I don't get any shake issues with this until I hook up a trailer to it and there it is. It starts around 60 mph and up, gets worse on new blacktop roads. I've got several other trailers and the truck shakes with all of them, feels like the drive train/shaft is going to fly apart. It's a 4.5 hour trip to our cabin in north WI, my wife and daughter expected we were going to break down the whole trip. I'll be taking this to the dealer with trailer this week. I don't expect a fix, and I'm really considering dumping it and GM. 

I took my truck in last week to have them check out the vibe I've experienced from literally Day 1.  Mine happens in 6th gear, V4 or V8 mode doesn't matter.  They road force balanced my tires...no change.  I left a poor survey result and got a majorly apologetic call soon after.  The service manager went on a road test with me and he felt it.  He suggested it was a torque converter vibration.  He said there is a TSB on it ??? and he thinks the procedure is to drain the transmission fluid, clean out the pan and refill.  I've scheduled a day to drop it off, we'll see...

Update..... Got my truck back from the dealer yesterday. They were not able to fix the issue and since the truck is used an not under warranty anymore they didn’t try that hard either.  They did road force balance the tires, perform complete (caster, camber, toe) alignment and the shake was still there but not near as bad.  They swapped wheels and tires from a brand new truck, same size 275/55-20 tires but they were Goodyear Eagle LS-2 with the factory polished aluminum 20x9’s and the shake was gone.  They are blaming the aftermarket Fuel wheels and BFG All-Terrain K02’s for the shake.  Even though the shake is not near as bad, it’s still present.  Since swapping the wheels and tires “fixed” the shake I’m probably going to take the truck to either Discount Tire or an off-road shop who deals with Fuel wheels and all terrain tires on a regular basis and see if they can get them balanced properly to get rid of the shake.  If not I’ll just deal with it as it’s much better than it was before.  It’s not enough to make me hate the truck or GM.

All brands have their issues, I’ve been a GM guy for years but I’ve looked at and owned Fords and Dodges.  I’ve even looked at Toyota and Nissan.  Most vehicles out there are reliable and would get the job done but my preference is still GM. Coming to a GM forum to knock GM and say other brands are better is not the thing to do, I hope your Toyota, Dodge, Ford, etc does well for you. It will have problems too, just a different set of problems. Enjoy.

2 hours ago, Chevelleguy3 said:

All brands have their issues, I’ve been a GM guy for years but I’ve looked at and owned Fords and Dodges.  I’ve even looked at Toyota and Nissan.  Most vehicles out there are reliable and would get the job done but my preference is still GM. Coming to a GM forum to knock GM and say other brands are better is not the thing to do, I hope your Toyota, Dodge, Ford, etc does well for you. It will have problems too, just a different set of problems. Enjoy.

I disagree. All brands do have their issues, but to say that is kind of false equivalency. I think the term "whataboutism" is in vogue right now, and it would apply here. GM (as a company; ignoring individual dealers) has been notoriously dismissive (and even if a couple cases, legally negligent) towards their customers in support of their products. People have literally died because of GM's dismissive attitude and tendency to band-aid serious issues. I don't know that I can say that of any other vehicle company in the last three decades.

Go to the most heavily trafficked Ford, Toyota, or even Chrysler forums and try to find a single issue on current vehicle design with a 800 page thread and 4 years of history....and yet still no concrete solution. There are a number of issues with this design of truck that GM has just sat on and offered no permanent solution.

GM has completely crapped the bed with this model of truck, and customers deserve the right to call them out on it.

It also may be the GM truck enthusiast forum, but its the troubleshooting section. And since the shake is an issue that GM can't (or won't) seem to be able to troubleshoot, I feel people have a right to complain and consider other brands.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Baytrucker said:
18 hours ago, Baytrucker said:

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, mjb4450 said:

Congrats Shawn.  I find it stunning that someone who gets screwed by a corporation after being a loyal customer, then rightfully decides to move on and do what's right for himself and buy a different brand, would then have his new higher quality vehicle insulted.

You must be new to the internet. :lol:

I chalk it up to insecurities. Some people make the brands they buy as a part of their core identity, so an attack on that brand is an attack on them personally. Some of it is sunken cost fallacy too. People spend a lot of money on these trucks, so it takes a lot of humility to acknowledge you may have made a mistake on how you spent that money. Its almost like admitting you got conned. Not an easy thing to do publicly. 

After 802 pages on this subject, this could possibly be the best statement made!!!

Edited by yojo

I am open to opinion. If your opinion is that GM's 2014+ line is exceptional. Congrats, you are either a lucky owner of a smooth riding, shakeless, beautiful looking truck or, you have been to the dealer 3+ times with issues GM techs bandaid you with, word vomit stories about why those problems are normal and send you on your way.

To the latter, I also say.. congrats. You have more tolerance for bullshit in your finger than I in my whole body. After my 3rd visit to the dealer and long chats with the service manager. I had already known that this ongoing issue was a trip up shits creek with no paddle. It became more evident as the dealership started to become angry at me because I continually brought the truck right back when it continued to shake.

Then I put myself in their shoes, they are just like me. A middle class guy trying to get by and do what they are told to do. Now GM on the other hand... those are the crooks. I have heard stories about how GM engineers insisted that more testing be done on these platforms before release but the deadlines were were to close and powers above released anyway. 

Those powers above my friends are the ones you should be angry at. See, your the one who signed a $30k+ loan expecting a truck that will serve your home needs and family needs for years to come. Instead your stuck arguing with a dealership as to why your truck doesn't meet GM's standard for vibration at some 17 Hz +\- 1 on a PICO scope. A standard which they made up after they tested hundreds of trucks and averaged it to their advantage.

Lets be honest about some general truck stuff here:

- No truck on the market is worth anywhere near what they are charging for them but we pay these prices because it's necessity for a lot of us.

-A lot of people who buy trucks don't actually need them. Just look at some trucks driving by with 6" lift and tires 4 inches out the side wells, you can't possibly load that bed comfortably and you must be changing wheel bearings on a regular. (Didn't anyone tell you it's easier to carry a case of beer at your side then at your shoulder height?)

- Trucks have gotten away from what they are supposed to be. Anyone remember the old Chevy like a rock commercials where they are bouncing the frame of a Silverado off some 5k lb boulders or dropping 2 tons of

stone into the bed from 10 ft up? That's what I picture trucks doing. (To an extent)

-We have been pampered over the years by technology giving us great riding body on frame with the benefits of everything pickup truck related to boot. (GM built some seriously comfortable previous generations no doubt)

Now, we have reached a level of standards so high that engineers have to start to compromise some comforts for strengths.

-Want more payload? Start stiffening things. Oh, your truck vibrates? That's normal but it can sure haul a lot more than last gen.

- Want better gas mileage? Increase torque management. Oh, your trucks searching gears all the time? Too bad.

These problems are not only with GM , they are occurring with all manufacturers because of the race to the top. Read some of the other brand forums, you will find it. 

Some hard to face truths about GM. (Fanboys be warned)

- The 5.3 with all this torque management and other fuel sipping techniques does not perform like it should with the new and improved payload and towing capacities. I towed a 6000# camper with my 15 and it was dissapointing how much it fell flat

on it's face with RPMs racing and downshift to keep the truck up to speed. (Yes I use weight distribution!!!)

-AFM is a joke. Who needs cylinder deactivation? I have been driving GM's for years. All with the "26.4" Gal gas tanks which ultimately meant you squeeze in 21-23 gallons usable. Reset the odometer on a AFM 5.3 and non AFM 5.3. Is the the difference really worth the headache? 

-Unless you upgrade to the 6.2 liter, Your GM is not kicking any Ram 5.7, Ford eco, or Toyota 5.7 asses off the line. Usable torque is not there when you need it.

- Face it, In 5 years your GM factory frame coat is going to look like a bannana started to peel itself, your driver seat is going to

be torn from sliding in and out over the monstrosity of a hump they refuse to change, your hood is going to be covered in paint chips like your teenage son rattle

canned his skateboard next to your truck. Your driveline is going to be making awful clunking sounds coming to a stop, hitting the gas at a roll, and simply letting off the gas to quick. Oh and, you can guarantee your wheel wells will have bubbling rust if you live in a salt belt. Oh, can't forget about burning 2 quarts of oil because your injectors stop firing for cylinder deactivation and gum up.

Dare I keep going? Because that's just to name from the last generation. 

That predictability of problems is exactly why I made the jump to another brand. I refuse to pay so much money and just get told to F off,

you bought it you own it. 

Maybe Toyota, or Ram, or Ford will also tell you to F off with a problem, but maybe the likeliness of even having a problem is decreased because those brands did more homework when engineering.That's why I jumped! 

/end rant

/ begin debates 

Edited by Shawn5800
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2