22 minutes ago, Snoringbear said:

You and I have traveled similar paths when it comes to cars;  I’ve been driving a truck since 1975.  Bought a brand new standard cab long bed with in-line 6 engine.  Had am radio and dealer installed AC.  Everything else was standard, 3 on the tree, no power anything.  During the oil embargo hung a twenty gal saddle tank on the right side. Drove the piss out of that truck.  

Yes, very similar indeed. My 1st new truck was a 1974 1/2 ton, straight 6, 3 on the tree, AM, but with no AC, no power nuth'n, and 2WD.  1st visit was to my parents house to take dear old Dad for a ride. Trucks & Blazers and the like were not as much of a status symbol back then, most actually worked for a living. At least mine did. I was the only one in my circle of friends with a PU truck. Status symbol or not I believed/knew I had the coolest ride around (o:

2 hours ago, Snoringbear said:

Tell you a funny story about my 6.2.  Not long after I bought it I decided to take it out on the interstate and see what it would do.  So, chose a stretch of road that was nice and straight with no traffic and put the petal to the metal. Well, my bad ass 6.2 took of like a striped ape.clicked through the numbers on the speedo at a rapid rate.  So, as it approached 100 mph I’m thinking Wow, I’m thinking this this thing might do 120 mph or more.  Then... the speedo hit 98 mph and the truck speed flattened out and would do no more.  So, I’m wondering what the heck just happen.  Big disappointment; big bad @$$ engine won’t even do 100?  Well, you know the rest of the story.  Come to find out the truck has a speed limiter set at 98 mph ?.  I since found out that youngsters often buy a tuner and remove the speed limiter setting.  But, being old and such never bothered ?...

I did the same soon after buying my 5.3. I don't remember if it made it to triple digits or not.  If so, it must not have been very memorable.  Do it!!... get the darn tuner LOL.  I have a set of cams sitting here waiting to get them installed in my Indian motorcycle.  I'd install them myself but a "special tool" that costs $450.00 is required. It's less than 1/2 that amount to have a dealer install the cams, 1.5 to 2 hour job as I understand it.  Funny you mention tuner, earlier today I ordered a tuner for the Indian from Fuelmoto.  The cams and tuner won't make it a rocket ship, especially by todays standards.  But it will have additional low end grunt, and should get the ol' adrenaline flowing.  Don't let the kids have all the fun ?

Edited by Willyone

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 1:03 PM, Snoringbear said:

Tell you a funny story about my 6.2.  Not long after I bought it I decided to take it out on the interstate and see what it would do.  So, chose a stretch of road that was nice and straight with no traffic and put the petal to the metal. Well, my bad ass 6.2 took of like a striped ape.clicked through the numbers on the speedo at a rapid rate.  So, as it approached 100 mph I’m thinking Wow, I’m thinking this this thing might do 120 mph or more.  Then... the speedo hit 98 mph and the truck speed flattened out and would do no more.  So, I’m wondering what the heck just happen.  Big disappointment; big bad @$$ engine won’t even do 100?  Well, you know the rest of the story.  Come to find out the truck has a speed limiter set at 98 mph ?.  I since found out that youngsters often buy a tuner and remove the speed limiter setting.  But, being old and such never bothered ?...

thats by design so we dont destroy the beer can of a driveshaft & take out fuel lines, fuel tank, etc  ?

amongst other possible tolerance stacking issues that they havent fixed yet

Hi everyone, new to the forum but I’m at the end of my ropes here this is my Hail Mary. So I have a 2016 Silverado crew cab 6.5’ bed 5.3l 4WD 6 speed automatic transmission. The transmission was fully rebuilt at 75,000 The truck has 89,000 miles on it. I am complaining about a shake/vibration of course but I don’t feel as if mine is like most. Mine doesn’t seem as violent as others describe. I’m experiencing a vibration and a noise almost like driving over rumble strip in the road. This problem comes about when you are gentle on the throttle and at a lower rpm around 1200-1500. If you feather the throttle at 55 MPH you can easily replicate the issue. Next is issue number 2 I’m not sure if they are related but my gut is telling me they are, I recently noticed when stopped then slowly take off as in just letting the truck roll at idle of the line I feel like a small wobble/bounce as it kind of rocks you back and forth in your seat. Both issues go away once you give it more throttle. I’ve had the torque converter replaced first once the issue came back I then I’ve  changed the transmission fluid to the updated fluid, rotated the driveshaft 180 degrees and that has been the longest fix for 3 weeks. Any suggestions are helpful and appreciated and thanks in advance 

14 hours ago, Jamesgierak said:

Hi everyone, new to the forum but I’m at the end of my ropes here this is my Hail Mary. So I have a 2016 Silverado crew cab 6.5’ bed 5.3l 4WD 6 speed automatic transmission. The transmission was fully rebuilt at 75,000 The truck has 89,000 miles on it. I am complaining about a shake/vibration of course but I don’t feel as if mine is like most. Mine doesn’t seem as violent as others describe. I’m experiencing a vibration and a noise almost like driving over rumble strip in the road. This problem comes about when you are gentle on the throttle and at a lower rpm around 1200-1500. If you feather the throttle at 55 MPH you can easily replicate the issue. Next is issue number 2 I’m not sure if they are related but my gut is telling me they are, I recently noticed when stopped then slowly take off as in just letting the truck roll at idle of the line I feel like a small wobble/bounce as it kind of rocks you back and forth in your seat. Both issues go away once you give it more throttle. I’ve had the torque converter replaced first once the issue came back I then I’ve  changed the transmission fluid to the updated fluid, rotated the driveshaft 180 degrees and that has been the longest fix for 3 weeks. Any suggestions are helpful and appreciated and thanks in advance 

1.did the rebuilder install a new aftermarket torque converter or the origional POS GM converter??

2. only 75,000 miles on a gm trans...i hope the rebuilder pulled out the trans t-stat, so your not over heating it, should run 135 F

3.did rebuilder do the re-calibration proceedures after overhaul?

4. did rebuilder install the trans updates from Trans-GO and did he pressure check the TECM 

5. why did you rotate the shaft 180?

not all rebuilds are good, and not all engine or trans builders know what they are doing or have the experience

Edited by flyingfool

if anyone has the shudder, without taking foot off gas, maintain speed, with other foot depress the brake pedal, this will deactivate the TCC in the trans pump. and might tell you if your getting a pump failure

19 hours ago, Jamesgierak said:

Had your exact shutter issue. My dealership did the full trans flush/clean (cycled 3 times to get rid of all of the original fluid and replaced with the updated fluid), replaced the TC, and installed the trans updates. Have not had the shutter in 35k miles since then. I've read if they don't do the triple flush some of the old fluid will remain and still cause a shutter/vibration. Dealership said they do all three of those at the same time if possible, only doing one of those fixes has resulted in returned vehicles.

9 hours ago, flyingfool said:

1.did the rebuilder install a new aftermarket torque converter or the origional POS GM converter??

2. only 75,000 miles on a gm trans...i hope the rebuilder pulled out the trans t-stat, so your not over heating it, should run 135 F

3.did rebuilder do the re-calibration proceedures after overhaul?

4. did rebuilder install the trans updates from Trans-GO and did he pressure check the TECM 

5. why did you rotate the shaft 180?

not all rebuilds are good, and not all engine or trans builders know what they are doing or have the experience

Not to sure what he did (wasn’t my option to go to him as it was under warranty from a dealer) but my trans temp gauge shows 190 degrees after on the highway for 40 miles cruising at 70 mph thanks for the input but I’m out of his warranty of 12k miles so looks like it’ll blow up again 

3 hours ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Had your exact shutter issue. My dealership did the full trans flush/clean (cycled 3 times to get rid of all of the original fluid and replaced with the updated fluid), replaced the TC, and installed the trans updates. Have not had the shutter in 35k miles since then. I've read if they don't do the triple flush some of the old fluid will remain and still cause a shutter/vibration. Dealership said they do all three of those at the same time if possible, only doing one of those fixes has resulted in returned vehicles.

Great to hear. But I doubt that will be covered because I am over the factory warranty with 88k miles and it’s a 2016. But do you have any insight to maybe get it covered?? Thank you 

5 hours ago, flyingfool said:

if anyone has the shudder, without taking foot off gas, maintain speed, with other foot depress the brake pedal, this will deactivate the TCC in the trans pump. and might tell you if your getting a pump failure

What should I experience when I do this? What should I look for? Thank you

1 hour ago, Jamesgierak said:

Great to hear. But I doubt that will be covered because I am over the factory warranty with 88k miles and it’s a 2016. But do you have any insight to maybe get it covered?? Thank you 

I got really lucky to have an amazing GM dealership near me. Took it in right around 75k miles (past the 60k warranty on 2016+) with the shutter issue and the service director got GM to cover the bill. Doesn't hurt to ask to see if a GM dealership near you can get anything covered by GM (sometimes they do a portion). I'm not sure what it would have cost out of pocket, they gave me a receipt to prove the work was done but the amounts were all zeroed out. Good luck.

2 hours ago, Jamesgierak said:

What should I experience when I do this? What should I look for? Thank you

if experiencing shudder and if you lightly tap the brake pedal switch, while cruising this will disconnect the torque converter clutch and redirect fluid elsewhere. and may prove your pump or converter are about to eat ****** soon.... see if doing this stops the shudder.

if so i would install a cirdle D torque converter and a rebuilt or new oil pump in trans , and Install all the updates in the valveing

step 1. pull out trans filter , cut it open and inspect it for metal shavings. do the tcc disconnect test first, then dont drive it anymore it'll only cost more to fix.  tow haul mode should also disconnect the TCC

Edited by flyingfool

23 hours ago, flyingfool said:

if experiencing shudder and if you lightly tap the brake pedal switch, while cruising this will disconnect the torque converter clutch and redirect fluid elsewhere. and may prove your pump or converter are about to eat ****** soon.... see if doing this stops the shudder.

if so i would install a cirdle D torque converter and a rebuilt or new oil pump in trans , and Install all the updates in the valveing

step 1. pull out trans filter , cut it open and inspect it for metal shavings. do the tcc disconnect test first, then dont drive it anymore it'll only cost more to fix.  tow haul mode should also disconnect the TCC

So I drove home from work in tow mode and no signs of any shudder. Stopped in at my Chevy dealership and they said they will do the fluid flush and any updates for the software. Said it will be about 20 quarts of fluid. They also said GM specifically noted in the bulletin to NOT replace the torque converter. Of course it won’t be covered under warranty and the estimate it’s just under 800 dollars as for I live in New York if anyone else is having this issue and is wondering a out of pocket cost. Thanks for all yours help guys 

• Like 1

if disconnecting the Lock up function stops the shudder , then this is the issue. with the lock up function in the unit. maybe try driving in a gear that doesnt activate the V4 mode also and use tow haul for awhile and see if shudder comes back.   

i would try a private mechanic who specializes in transmissions.  save your reciepts. if it works out maybe you can take GM to court.  call circle D transmission for the best replacement.  but you might nee to do some update parts in the pump assembly. 

GM cant afford the cost to repair this issue across the entire truck/car lineup. thats one reason they say not to replace the converter. 

Edited by flyingfool

Being this generation, 2014 - 2019, will soon be two generations back in history, GM has zero interest in remediation.  They’re focused on the upcoming generation.  They’re in a Klingon Death Match with Ford and Ram.  Along with gas/diesel technology, theres hybrids and EV’s to deal with will cost mountains of money to develop and bring in-line.  Sorry...