Radio Reception Issues

Getting really fed up here in Ohio

after 4 months of dealing with a great service writer at my dealership, he gets transferred. The new guy knows nothing of what I went through or was promised. So he promises to talk to the service mgr and

that he will get back to me before the end of the day and that he talked to him and they were going to solve this FM problem in house without waiting on GM. Well 2 1/2 weeks later lol I am still waiting on that call. Four trips to dealer almost an hour away and many hours waiting on them to find out that they know not what to do. I contacted the GM rep and was told she would get back to me right away...that was many weeks ago. This is not an isolated problem and GM is not a small company, so why are they ignoring their customers for so long and causing us to think about different vehicles. With todays technology I know they have employees that can resolve this. I have two other recalls on my truck but nothing still about fixing this radio

they cant fix your radio (and mine) because there is "technically" nothing wrong with it. there are no defective parts.

But ...

As you and i know, the radio reception with this new intelli-stink system SUCKS.

I hate to say it, but it will be just a waste of time to work with gm on this issue.

I hope someone comes up with an aftermarket solution. Could a different antenna help? :dunno:

The FM reception issue should not happen on a 2014 vehicle. Much older, cheaper and lower grade radio's have better FM reception. I listen to FM always, when my XM expires, I will not renew subscrition. So this is a big deal to me.

I had the same problem with the 8.4 radio in my 13 ram. Had it in 3 times for "fixes" but each time the reception was still bad My 14 silverado has perfect reception so far Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, but the problem is that the previous model gmc/chevys all had much better reception than the 14's

Your 13 ram's radio must have really sucked if the 14 chevy's is better

Oink oink I can not find this thread at that forum. Did any one say what kind of antennae they put on? Perhaps the black finish they put on our stock ones is a signal blocking finish. Maybe a trip to the bone yard is in order.

Never mind I found it. No help, no part number or what kind.

Edited by klrrdr

2014 Crew Cab SLT Z71 4x4 Nav etc.

Compared to my 2009 Sierra it is weaker on local FM station reception. XM radio seems to be about the same it still skips out in the exact same spots. Not bad enough for me to take it back in yet but it is an annoyance. Does not annoy me as much as the heated seats though LOL. I see that a lot of people have noticed the difference it is particulary noticeable when going directly to a 2014 from a 2009 model.

I am told by an engineer that the calibration points might be slightly off. Thus not allowing the dual carrier bands to sync. The HD signal is slightly less powerful than the main signal and broadcast at the same time. Results could be an echo where hd is captured behind,or cut outs and static if it is slightly ahead. The way to fix it is to have the radios bench tested for proper calibration.

Edited by klrrdr

I doubt that anyone at the dealer has the technical skill to adjust the calibration points in the receiver unless it is done with a computer update. Who can I get to check it?

Being that GM doesn't think anything is wrong?? Back in the early 70's I had CB radios. You had to buy these little 2 pronged metal things with a crystal inside for the channel you wanted. Some times the crystals were cut wrong and were off frequency just a hair. Anyone on the right channel heard you talking, you just sounded like a static y auto tune voice. I know, no crystals now but you get the idea. Say you are showing 101.5 on the tuner,inside it might be 101.55 just enough to put it off.

Edited by klrrdr
  • Like 1