Radio Reception Issues

Got my truck back today. Spent afternoon at dealer with service manager. We compared the FM reception of Sierra/ Silverado to other GM radios, There was a significant difference in the reception, Other GM radios were able to pick up stations clearly while the sierra/ Silverado had signal lose and static. All trucks with 8" screens performed the same Bose/non Bose/ Nav/ non Nav. I have made a video demonstrating the difference in reception which the service manager is going to send to GM. There will not be a quick fix to this concern but at least GM has been made aware of the problem and supporting evidence has been submitted. It is important that if you also have this concern that you report it to your dealer or GM. I have be impressed with the feedback and interest that the people I have talked with at GM concerning this.

• Like 2

I agree that GM will not change out all the radio control units but I believe they will try to improve the FM reception in units produced in the future. In talking with service manager if improvements are made in the unit then GM will authorize upgrade of the units for owners who have expressed concerns.

Tried to cut and paste comment from Kristen a. from gm customer care and can't seem to get it on this post. This message is for her or anyone else from gm that cares to comment.

You can help us all out by letting us know what gm knows about this issue and what they plan to do about it.

Edited by andre9

andre9,

I don't imagine it will happen either unless enough people finally get sick and tired of just laying down and just accept whatever is thrown at us by any manufacturer. As for me I'm done, I work hard for my money and I will get what I pay for. This poor FM reception is well documented for months along with many issues with the 2014's. As for me I contacted my dealer and GM and when my truck comes in I will not be taking it if it has any issues posted on this site.

GM technicians, engineers and Quality Control should have picked these issues up during testing, I work for one of the largest manufacturing company's in the world. No way this would fly with my company, heads would roll and vendors would be held accountable. These vehicles weren't designed, engineered and tested overnight, it took years. In the 30 years I've worked for my company I've seen them throw away millions of dollars in product. They have insurance for losses like this and go after the vendors who also have insurance for these type of problems as well. On top of that they claim a loss at the end of their fiscal year.

So in the end GM or any manufacturer for that matter does not lose anything. The only one who loses are the loyal customer no matter what the product. I see so many people owning the 2014's giving up and saying they will trade it in in a year or two. That is a lot of money to lose and in a year or two no one will want to buy a 2014 because by then the public will know these trucks are plagued with problems which will surely hurt trade in values or even try selling it privately.

Just my opinion...

• Like 1

I know it is a pain as is the software recall issue. But defect problems can be much more serious.

Please check out the FIRST and pinned thread in the 900 model section for the 07-13s on really bad oil consumption (last five-six pages sums up where it is at today) and the level of repair to fix it. Such problems affects resale value. The FM problem will be fixed and no affect on resale.

I just bought my first GMC truck last Thursday and I am having the same issue. Local radio stations that are in HD that I've had no problem clearly picking up in other vehicles are barely achieved in this new truck. I thought it was just a GMC thing. Didn't realized it was a purposeful attempt to encourage paid services. Not cool GM.

• Like 1

Not sure if it as widespread as some think, I will be dropping the xm as soon as runs out so have been using fm a lot, mine woorks as well if not better than all the others I have had in the past, I am 45 miles from my favorite fm station at home and with some radios reception suffers rapidly when I get further away, this truck picks it up well past 60 miles and the hd radio stays past 50 miles easily.

I suggest everyone contact their dealer and phone GM or this will not get addressed. I wasn't only speaking to the FM reception problem but to all the reported problems on this site and from friends of mine that are having major issues. Bad vibration at speeds over 55 MPH, Trucks not starting due to stuck flapper in exhaust, warped dashes, heated and cooled seat issues, trucks shutting off, no power, running on 2 cylinders, the 120 volt outlet that won't even charge a laptop, it goes on and on.

Some of these guys are really suffering with major problems. Some are being addressed but I have yet to see a fix for the vibration issue. I'm not just knocking GM but every manufacturer. I have always owned GM vehicles and have had over 22 in my life, never seen a vehicle with this many problems.

Please forgive me for venting but the more I read about the 2014's the more upset I get. I ordered a $54,000.00 truck and see guys on here having to add lights under the dash so you can see the floor when you open the door at night....that should be there from the factory. The remote starts are junk but I can buy an aftermarket one installed for less then $200.00 and it will start it from over 600 feet away. Factory ones get you 100 feet if your lucky. It's time the American consumer demands to get what they pay for!

Again, sorry for venting, this is just my opinion

Edited by Green 1364