UAW prepares strike vote during contract talks with GM

Gorehamj

In my experience unions do not use a strike as a threat. It is a last resort for both sides. A lot of issues are handled through the labor board but with out the ability to strike you are powerless. Some contracts have a no strike clause. That is a company union. Then the unions officials are policing for the company and no longer representing the membership.

Because of the protection UAW has for the individual they have done a lot in terms of safety for the modern factory. I have a lot of respect for the uaw and how they handle safety. Trust me many people have died in those factory's and a union rep should have no issues involving osha or upper management if it needed.

I have worked in non union shops. I would have never called osha or involved upper management with out protection. I did call the labor board on them. I wish the uaw luck in their negotiations. They are a lot of family's relying on a ratified contract.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to mention something that hasn't been touched on yet. It was mentioned that Unions only represent certain workers and not other workers. Well first, the Union legally is supposed to represent everyone in the bargaining unit. Second, if a member wants to file a grievance, the Union has a legal obligation to represent that worker/member whether they think the member is right or not or whether they have a legitimate grievance or not. Once requested, if the Union does not file a grievance on that member's behalf the member could go to the NLRB and file a Duty of Fair Representation (DFR) claim against the Union and get back pay or monetary damages from the Union. The Union has to walk a thin line at times.

So that being said, there may be the appearance to some that the Union only represents certain members but if a member wants to file a grievance or many grievances the Union's hands are tied and they have to follow through even if they know it's wrong.

Right if you are paying dues and your union is not representing you properly. Try to get in touch with somebody in the international first but if that does not work the labor board will gladly go after a union for failing to represent.

Businesses want cheap labor so they get maximum $ for their products. There is no blackmail involved,same could be said of big business threats of moving the jobs overseas.I don't understand the anti union dislike in America today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Can't speak for others. I believe unions representing unskilled labor have become too powerful and force companies to be less competitive cost wise with their overseas counterparts.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Can't speak for others. I believe unions representing unskilled labor have become too powerful and force companies to be less competitive cost wise with their overseas counterparts.

Private sector Unions represent less than 7% of the workforce in the US, the lowest level since WWII. Please explain to me how that equates to something powerful? Germany has a much higher Union density rate with higher wages and they seem to compete in the world market just fine. Of course CEO's make much less and company profits are a smaller percentage of the gross so that could account for something I suppose.

Private sector Unions represent less than 7% of the workforce in the US, the lowest level since WWII. Please explain to me how that equates to something powerful? Germany has a much higher Union density rate with higher wages and they seem to compete in the world market just fine. Of course CEO's make much less and company profits are a smaller percentage of the gross so that could account for something I suppose.

Most states with traditionally strong unions have laws that protect them. When an entity with coercive authority protects you, you are powerful. They are powerful economically by abusing the utilization of dues. Good article. http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/02/public_and_private_unions

Most states with traditionally strong unions have laws that protect them. When an entity with coercive authority protects you, you are powerful. They are powerful economically by abusing the utilization of dues. Good article. http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/02/public_and_private_unions

Calgator73-The Economist article was interesting. The comment section even moreso. I couldnt read the WSJ article because I'm not a subscriber (Huff Post and Mother Jones subscriber). I think that one of the problems with the perception of Unions is that people that are not part of them bunch them all together. There are vast differences between industrial, construction, service and public Unions. Construction for instance: there is no job security but you know that up front. Work 15 minutes and it rains, you go home with 15 minutes pay. Too cold for two weeks, you have two weeks without pay. Dont produce to the bosses liking, you most likely get your check and head down the road (likewise, if you dont like where you are working you can pack your tools up and head down the road by your own choice). Wages and benefits are the main reason to belong to a Union in the construction industry along with benefit reciprocity if you decide to travel. There may be more protections of various sorts in other Union segments. Maybe more in the auto industry but I'm not qualified from first hand experience to answer that.

I think I agree with you. I think that unions are good in that they present a unified front to an employer and sometimes bad when they behave like economic terrorists. In my new job with the faa we are represented by a union if we choose. Not sure if it's worth surrendering ~ 1% gross for what little they do. To me union dues as a % of salary present a weird situation where a union may push for higher salaries merely to ingratiate themselves. Fixed cost would be more fair imo and keep unions honest.

I think I agree with you. I think that unions are good in that they present a unified front to an employer and sometimes bad when they behave like economic terrorists. In my new job with the faa we are represented by a union if we choose. Not sure if it's worth surrendering ~ 1% gross for what little they do. To me union dues as a % of salary present a weird situation where a union may push for higher salaries merely to ingratiate themselves. Fixed cost would be more fair imo and keep unions honest.

1% is really economical. Aren't you represented whether you pay it or not? We pay 3.5% plus $25 a month.

A percentage is a good way for the union to do it IMO. That way des go up everytime you get a raise.

I pay 2 hours pay a month.

It is one way to do it but how do you know if the union is truly looking out for your interests or theirs?

The UAW are payed Hourly by GM. GM has the power to lay off its workers when there is no demand.

They are line workers and maintance personal.

The ones making the decisions brought down GM, not the low level employees.

A lot of ignorance here.

Mine takes 2.5 hours of pay a month to get fatter, not answer the phones, tell each of the stewards something different (when the stewards can even get a hold of anyone), and generally pit everyone against everyone. Useless turds :( Otherwise sure my union is great :-p

Archived