UAW prepares strike vote during contract talks with GM

Gorehamj

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that at the one point you state that the institutions of union and government are not corrupt, yet you list several examples of other corruptible institutions. The idea of the Institution itself is not corrupt, but without people to build that institution there would not be an institution at all. There is a saying in churches that a building is not a church, the people are its church. Likewise the government, unions, military, PD are nothing more than people that make of their ranks, corruption comes from the inside, not the outside, to state that union or government is not corrupt, is technically correct, but the reality is the people that have made up these institutions have made it that way.

What is most frustrating is people that actually try to improve, and make these institutions what they are intended to be are demonized and slandered by those that are corrupt. If people would just be honest and upright, this would not be a problem, but too many people worry only about themselves, and have no regard to those around them. And those are the people that end up running the corruption.

Yes, you are correct and is what I'm trying to say but I'm not as well spoken as you, "the idea of" is exactly correct.

I'm a very simple man, with lots of optimism.

Sent from Off Driller Side

As I stated before I am a Bricklayer/Stone Mason. In 1990 during our negotiations we had indicated to the employers that our craft had fallen behind many of the other trades and we needed to catch up. The contractors on the negotiations team had a real stubborn silver-spooned college boy leading their negotiations. We were looking for an additional .26 (26 cents) spread out over three years. They would not budge one penny so ultimately after many negotiations sessions we went on strike. The strike lasted two weeks and we got our .26. Now the 26 cents did not make up for the two weeks of lost pay at the time, however we did better each successive contract and caught up with the other building trades and more than made up for those two weeks because the contractors knew that we weren't afraid to walk if need be.

Was it fun? Hell no! Are strikes fun? Absolutely not. Should they be a last resort? Of course. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Thousands of Bricklayers in the Chicago and Northern IL area and not one crossed a picket line. If I were a non-union Bricklayer I would be by myself begging for a raise. That being said, I have found that the non-union Bricklayers will get raises when the Union Bricklayers do because the contractors know that they have to give them something or they will go Union. So the non-union workers benefit from the Union's presence without paying any dues. Of course this only happens in high Union density areas. Take a place like North Carolina and the tradesmen there make considerable less because there is no Union density.

I know that this doesn't have much to do with the UAW however there was a lot of strike and Union talk (and Union bashing) so I just thought that I would share a personal experience with a large strike.

Hank

Whatever you do don't stereotype non-union workers as to what they do. It's perfectly ok for them to stereotype factory workers but when it comes to others making assumptions about them that's being an ass.

Enough with the personal attacks. Let's be civil towards each other. Warnings will be issued and the topic will be closed if it keeps going down the path it has been.

Ryan

Looks like I am not the only one that doesn't like Unions at this time. Sure they were beneficial to the workers but at one point everything went out of kilter. The day that happened was the day that started to implode. Someone once told me that you could build a nice truck fro $25 an hour but when you get to $83 an for all the crap that "Unions" got was the day that all the Japanese and Korean and Chinese goods made it to the USA and wiped the floor with GM ford and Chrysler. And the members still don't understand that the guys at the top are making [or STEALING[ millions and they are getting screwed. Why do you think Organized crime Loves the Unions? They have their hand in the pension plans and it becomes their personal bank account. I think the "union" workers can do a lot better these days but they keep hanging on to the propaganda that have been fed for the last 100 years.

Keep being a proud member of a Union and keep producing crap. You'll end up unemployed, you pension will not be worth CRAP and the rest of the world gets the jobs you should have had.

That's the way I see it. I read that Obama [you elected that POS muslim destroying AMERICA] has encouraged and allowed the design division of GM to move to China. That will ensure a couple of things #1 All the US jobs that were based in Michigan to go to China and no one from the US will go to China and also the Chinese will steal all the previous history and all the design work here for probably the next 10 years. Of course if you want to believe the Chinese are not going to steal everything that isn't tied down - Good luck. All the design software and everything they take will be replicated and they'll try to even sell it back to us.

"I take this conversation very personal because I know what my union brothers are about but I also understand that until you work side by side with us, most will never understand."

You didn't ask me, so you are just assuming that someone like me has never worked in a union job and 'will never understand'. What I can tell you is that I worked a union job for 24 years and could easily quote you story after story of people that I worked with that couldn't, and wouldn't, have made it more than a month or so in a private sector job. The union spent far too much time and financial resources protecting and keeping people that couldn't make it 'in the real world'. That's a simple and all to common fact with unionized employees. Not saying that it's all 'union labor', just saying that it's a lot more common than some want to admit to. Being a union employee in essence makes you an employee of a protected class, and the indifference and poor work-place attitude towards customers, product production and customer service becomes well ingrained into the workplace. Just stating what I saw on a daily basis over 24 years...

"You" was in the general sense addressing those that have never actually spent some time working for a union (trade union in particular), so no assumptions were made.

You have your experience and I don't doubt what you have seen at all, I have been there also. I have worked along side other trades and locals and can say that some do have different standards. What I do know is that if I wasn't performing, they wouldn't hesitate to cut me my last check and fill my position with another member sitting on the bench that was eager to earn his money and not just there to collect a check.

I never once said it was perfect but I don't bash the Union and what it stands for. I'm a very proud Union Member and thank God for what they have done for me and my family but I can also say I worked my ass off for every dime I have. Let me rephrase that ...for ever dime my ex wives now have.

I had to scrub this and I am reopening. Any more of the pointless bickering will result in warnings/vacations from here. This was a news story, not a union vs. non-union pissing match. PLAY NICE IN THE SANDBOX

28 dollars an hour is not a decent wage. With inflation they were making that much in the 70s. I find it hard to believe that China workers make 4+ an hour.

it is only a matter of time they are all built in third world country if we don't take a stand.

28 dollars an hour is not a decent wage. With inflation they were making that much in the 70s. I find it hard to believe that China workers make 4+ an hour.

it is only a matter of time they are all built in third world country if we don't take a stand.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-average-hourly-rate-for-a-factory-worker-in-China

I think 28/hr is great depending on where you live

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Union vs non Union reminds me of our political situation...GOP vs Democrat. Both have some good points but become ineffective through general lack of teamwork.

I meant to add that the constant threat of a strike in negotiations is unpopular because it's seen by many as unfair. Threats don't work raising kids mor in most other human interactions. Employees can find other work if they don't like their jobs but a strike threat can become blackmail in that it forces the business to decide on which cost is greater-loss of production or increased labor costs. In a global market cost becomes an important competitive factor long term.

But the dynamics won't change. Business wants to hold down cost and unions want to gain concessions.

Businesses want cheap labor so they get maximum $ for their products. There is no blackmail involved,same could be said of big business threats of moving the jobs overseas.I don't understand the anti union dislike in America today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Archived