Duramax Diesel vs. V6 Gas Engine - 100K Fuel Cost Comparo

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-12245200-1447424792_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
11/13/2015

The fuel economy numbers arrived this week. The new Duramax Diesel Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon 4x4s earned a 23 MPP combined fuel efficiency rating from the EPA. By Contrast, the same trucks with a gasoline engine are rated at 20 MPG combined. Using today's daily average for both regular unleaded ($2.19 per gallon) and diesel ($2.479) supplied by AAA we calculated the cost to drive each 100,000 miles. The results?

Gasoline engine Canyon and Colorado - $10,950

Duramax Diesel Canyon and Colorado - $10,778

A pretty close tie we'd call that, except one thing. The Duramax engine costs $3,750 more than the V6 gasoline engine according to GM. So, by our estimation the Duramax has a higher cost over 100,000 miles on a strictly fuel economy basis.

Diesel owners don't care about combined MPG though. Most diesel fans only look at the highway mileage of their trucks because that is the situation in which the diesel is most efficient. So we re-ran the calculations using the V6 gas engines' highway mileage of 24 MPG and the diesel trucks' mileage of 29 MPG. Here is the result:

Gasoline Canyon and Colorado - $9,125

Diesel Colorado and Canyon - $ 8,548

Here the diesel looks much better until the engine premium is factored in. Of course, the diesel has other advantages. This analysis is simply one way to look at the cost for fuel over 100K miles. If anyone spots a math error please let me know and it will be corrected.

Related Story: Full Fuel Efficiency Numbers For Canyon and Colorado

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is you have to add the extra cost of the Engine into this in my option. So the Gas engine will be cheaper over all.

The only reasons for this engine are if you drive insane amounts of highway as you may make your money back or you want it for towing.

Of course there is the "I have a diesel" ha ha.

This is what has always bothered me about the Diesel pricing. All the mfr's are unfairly gouging the consumers on Diesel engines, especially on smaller vehicles. It doesn't cost $3750 more to manufacture and install a diesel vs a similar gas. At most it might cost $300 more & that is most due to slightly higher material costs.

In the 2500 series trucks, there is a bit more cost for certain transmissions etc., but not enough to justify an ~$8000 pricing difference.....

I'm curious to find out the details on the engine maintenance for 100,000 miles as well. I've heard that diesels can go longer between oil changes, but they also hold more oil and need fuel filters.

At the end of the day, I'll still drive my gas pickup. If I need a diesel, I'll get a semi.

This is what has always bothered me about the Diesel pricing. All the mfr's are unfairly gouging the consumers on Diesel engines, especially on smaller vehicles. It doesn't cost $3750 more to manufacture and install a diesel vs a similar gas. At most it might cost $300 more & that is most due to slightly higher material costs.

In the 2500 series trucks, there is a bit more cost for certain transmissions etc., but not enough to justify an ~$8000 pricing difference.....

Volume of sales plays an important role in the total cost to a mfg. In addition to specific testing & meeting diesel emissions criteria.

Speaking of which, how much do you think all the EPA required garbage costs per vehicle in both physical parts & testing to implement on a vehicle?

Oh & tuning. Seems somewhat important, ask VW. :)

On the 2500 with the 6.6L Dmax you are also paying Allisons fee for their transmission in addition to all of the above.

My point is, assuming the mfg's are making money off of the diesel option lines they offer. It definitely adds more than $300 per vehicle(cost) to add.

Class 8 semi trucks(Peterbilt, Kenworth etc) have seen roughly a $10,000 increase per truck to meet 2010 EPA emissions. I used to have a link with specifics for it, but the increases were insane to deal with emissions, liabilities, warranty etc.

For what it is worth, a rough estimate to have CAT inframe my C12 with warranty was in the $18,000 a couple years ago & that is a pre emission motor. Have heard of some $30,000 extremes on newer motors.

Volume of sales plays an important role in the total cost to a mfg. In addition to specific testing & meeting diesel emissions criteria.

Speaking of which, how much do you think all the EPA required garbage costs per vehicle in both physical parts & testing to implement on a vehicle?

Oh & tuning. Seems somewhat important, ask VW. :)

On the 2500 with the 6.6L Dmax you are also paying Allisons fee for their transmission in addition to all of the above.

My point is, assuming the mfg's are making money off of the diesel option lines they offer. It definitely adds more than $300 per vehicle(cost) to add.

Class 8 semi trucks(Peterbilt, Kenworth etc) have seen roughly a $10,000 increase per truck to meet 2010 EPA emissions. I used to have a link with specifics for it, but the increases were insane to deal with emissions, liabilities, warranty etc.

For what it is worth, a rough estimate to have CAT inframe my C12 with warranty was in the $18,000 a couple years ago & that is a pre emission motor. Have heard of some $30,000 extremes on newer motors.

If you read my post, I did mention the extra cost for transmissions on the 2500s. It still doesn't justify the price premium.

The mfr's always shoot themselves in the foot on this. They price the diesel option high enough so as to prevent sales hitting numbers that would provide the economies of scale that would even further lower costs. All the EPA stuff they do with diesels they have to do with gas as well, so that doesn't factor in like you might think. It's like they are purposely trying to prevent diesel sales. Maybe that's the goal?

The actual parts they need for things like DEF, noise reduction etc. actually only add maybe $50-100 in manufacturing and assembly costs, along with another $100 or so in design and engineering. Another $50-100 in extra material costs for heavier engine parts etc.

High volume engines cost a surprisingly low amount to manufacture and assemble.

The V6 gas will likely cost about the same as the 4 cyl diesel to build, assuming similar production numbers, yet the oil burner is $3750 more.....marketing and gouging.

Keep in mind that they didn't develope a whole new engine from scratch for the Canyon/Colo twins. They already had it in use everywhere else in the world. They just had to do some relatively minor changes for our market.

Class 8 is not really comparable to this, due to low volumes, different requirements etc.

So basically just wait for a good used low mile diesel to show up and save the $$$. Win win. I'm sure there will be those that purchase the diesel and find out they don't like it and trade it in.

But then from all the Ram truck half ton owners with their diesel engine, it seems they all really like it. Have not found one yet that doesn't. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens in the future as they roll off the line and into peoples driveways/garages.

I would avoid the diesel for reliability reasons. Maybe it will "run forever" but will it get you all the way to your destination every time. Maybe after a few years of recalls, revised motor mounts, fuel pump failures, def problems and other random teething problems it could make sense. I see the advantage of the diesel being a V8 replacement. I would still rather have a V8 in a crewcab truck midsize or fullsize.

You should also factor in the extra cost of oil changes and the cost of DEF fluid for the diesel. With those factored in, the gasoline engines are always going to cost less to run and maintain than the diesel engines.

Beat me to it.

I'm curious to find out the details on the engine maintenance for 100,000 miles as well. I've heard that diesels can go longer between oil changes, but they also hold more oil and need fuel filters.

At the end of the day, I'll still drive my gas pickup. If I need a diesel, I'll get a semi.

usually gas vehicles go longer on oil changes, with the new EGR requirements you are re-introducing soot and crap from your exhaust into a clean system which causes issues (hence all the guys getting EGR deletes and DEF deletes), on the other hand, if properly maintained they won't die on you. My dad bought his truck new and has roughly 280K on it, had a water-pump leave him on the side of the road once (he knew it was going bad and was hoping he could make one more trip before replacing it, didn't quite make it home). both the maintenance cost and original purchase price WILL be higher than a gas vehicle, but these are made to be work trucks, towing regularly, hauling, etc. so they have a place, and as the average persons DD, thats not where they fit in (full size trucks that is). What I have yet to comprehend is whether the diesel canyon / colorado are meant to be the average persons DD type truck or a mini work truck.

the longevity wins, and number one ..

how much less throttle and rpm to achieve a torque line.

that is what makes us go down the road.

A gas version is louder than a 60s hot rod only today with an aluminum sound spewing vortec, 10000 cfm bellow coming at us out here in the woods.

what a big man in his big truck that isn't.

come on kids...

every bad thing to say about diesel shows how lazy you and your truck are.

I thump an iron block in the diesel range for miles on secondary roads, and the fuel is comparable...I hit 24 on the highway.

to go fast or play games is shreaking an attention grabber as always.

I agree about them flubbing the numbers. Take on a diesel for real, before opinions, and see how much is not getting paid and what is not getting broken constantly.

Archived