I have a 2014 silverado 1500 with a 2.5" rough country level and I'm tired of the terrible ride quality. Every bump is very rough and rattles the whole truck.

Is there a best shock option I can buy to combine with this level and get better ride quality? I have looked at coil overs but I don't think I will be happy with amount of lift.

Any advice or recommendations will be appreciated.

I just ordered bilstien 4600 seriers shocks and stuts , the oem ones just don't get it. I have 22" wheels with low profile tires and I feel every bump so hopefully these hd shocks n struts will make a difference

Bilstein has a 5100 series (I think that's the number) that the height is adjustable and the suspension travel is also increased to improve ride quality. I assume you have the stock rancho shocks on your truck?

What kind of tires are you running?

Stock tires a stock shocks.

I have looked into bilsteins but don't think I will be happy with amount of lift. From what I have seen in forums you don't get a full 2" and ride quality suffers with them at top setting.

I am leaning towards king shocks. From what I have read they are adjustable up to 3". Just have to get over the $1400 price tag for just the front shocks.

I didn't know if there was shock that i could put on that was a cheaper option of kings that would give a better quality ride and still get the leveled look.

Fox 2.5's go to 3". I have mine set a little higher than 2.5" and it rides great. Only problem with new coil overs is most of them recommend new UCA's. So there goes the cheaper part of the option.

I thought fox only went up to 2". I don't think they are too far off from kings in price but I will look into them.

I was wondering about new UCA's. Did you have to modify anything when you put your cognitos on?

Since you already have the RC 2.5 level/lift and you are happy with the stance then the most cost effective "best shock" I would put on is the bilstein 4600 which are on sale at at 4wheel parts and no sales tax right now.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/4-4600-Series-Yellow-Shocks-with-4-Blue-Shock-Boots.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=S/DShockingBIL4600

This is the same shock as the 5100 but no height adjustment and Yellow finish which is actually a better finish. If you want to go coil over and ditch the spacer kit then like others have mentioned you should or will have to get new upper control arms. This drives to cost up a bit but is the best way.

The Fox 2.5 can go to 3" if you have factory steel upper control arms but I thought not if you have factory aluminum upper control arms? I could be miss-informed!

Fox and King are not the only coilover players. Do not forget that Fabtech, icon, & others are out there. Don't forget that some time in the very near distant future the much anticipated and long awaited bilstein 6112 coilovers will be coming out one day lol!

Not trying to Hi-Jack, just thought it fit. How INVOLVED is the front shock replacement ? Is it a do it in the driveway kinda thing, ? or a take it to a shop kinda thing. Official Card Carrying Shadetree Mechanic here. Previous installers, lets hear it. Thanks SwampCat.

Since you already have the RC 2.5 level/lift and you are happy with the stance then the most cost effective "best shock" I would put on is the bilstein 4600 which are on sale at at 4wheel parts and no sales tax right now.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/4-4600-Series-Yellow-Shocks-with-4-Blue-Shock-Boots.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=S/DShockingBIL4600

This is the same shock as the 5100 but no height adjustment and Yellow finish which is actually a better finish. If you want to go coil over and ditch the spacer kit then like others have mentioned you should or will have to get new upper control arms. This drives to cost up a bit but is the best way.

The Fox 2.5 can go to 3" if you have factory steel upper control arms but I thought not if you have factory aluminum upper control arms? I could be miss-informed!

Fox and King are not the only coilover players. Do not forget that Fabtech, icon, & others are out there. Don't forget that some time in the very near distant future the much anticipated and long awaited bilstein 6112 coilovers will be coming out one day lol!

Something like the bilstein 4600 was what I was originally looking into. But now I'm looking at coilovers as a better option.

I have aluminum arms and have read mixed reviews for fox so i think i will stay away.

Looking into kings and icons. Now if i buy cognito uca's does it matter if i order steel or aluminum part number on coilovers?

I have aluminum arms. YES it matters whether you order for steel or aluminum. They are slightly different in size where they mount to the frame. I think most of the mixed reviews you have been reading about is with the Fox 2.0's not the 2.5's. Also, no modification needed for the Cognitos. With the 2.5's there are multiple options depending on the amount of lift. If you look at their catalog you can see there are about 4-5 options for the 2.5's that will fit our trucks. The ones I got are Fox pn 883-02-028.

I have aluminum arms. YES it matters whether you order for steel or aluminum. They are slightly different in size where they mount to the frame. I think most of the mixed reviews you have been reading about is with the Fox 2.0's not the 2.5's. Also, no modification needed for the Cognitos. With the 2.5's there are multiple options depending on the amount of lift. If you look at their catalog you can see there are about 4-5 options for the 2.5's that will fit our trucks. The ones I got are Fox pn 883-02-028.

Thank you for clarifying! You are correct that you have to order the correct upper control arm so you have to order either steel or aluminum and the coilovers has to match.

For the fox 2.5 what did you do to level out the rear? Does the fox 2.5 rear shock stay at the factory ride height? I am still up in the air to which coilovers I want lol. Oh yeah... Did you get the cognito uniball control arm?

Archived