All-New Ford Ranger Debuts: Specs, Images, Video Here

Gorehamj

005_RANGER__90A0007.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

1-14-2018

Ford’s new Ranger debuted last night at midnight just after the launch of the new Silverado. The new Ranger arrives with modern driver aids, modern infotainment and will sport a 2.3-liter turbocharged EcoBoost engine mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission.

059_RANGER_352ab1f.jpg

“Ranger has always held a special place in the hearts of truck fans,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, Product Development and Purchasing. “The all-new Ranger is designed for today’s midsize truck buyer, delivering even more utility, capability and technology for those who blend city living with more off-the-grid adventures on weekends.”

058_RANGER_352aa1k.jpg

The new Ranger has a unique engine offering in this segment. The 2.3-liter EcoBoost makes about 310 hp and about 350 lb-ft of torque. This engine (on paper at least) will offer diesel-like torque at low RPMs, but also have the power of the up-powered Toyota Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon.

Ranger trims will include the entry-level XL, mid-level XLT. The Lariat trim series with be available with Chrome and Sport appearance packages in SuperCab or SuperCrew cab configurations.

069-crop_RANGER__V9I0084.jpg

The new Ranger will also launch with an FX4 Off-Road Package that will include protective skid plates, upgraded tires, off-road-tuned shocks and suspension, and Ford’s Terrain Management System and Trail Control which sounds a bit like Toyota’s crawl control system.  

003_RANGER__90A0006.jpg

Power will be distributed through Dana AdvanTEK independent front and solid rear axles on both 2WD and 4WD models with an available electronic-locking rear axle (standard on FX2 and FX4).  Ranger four-wheel-drive versions will feature 2-high, 4-high and 4-low.

054_RANGER__90A0006_C1.jpg

Infotainment will include available Apple Car Play and Android Auto, 4G LTE, and Alexa integration. Driver assist systems will include standard automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and class-exclusive Blind Spot Information System with trailer coverage.

Production of the all-new Ford Ranger will begin in late 2018 at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant.

Decent looking truck. I don't understand why all automakers feel the need to put a badge or sticker for every additional option though. Model and trim badge are enough. I will never understand the center mount shifter though. Still drives me nuts.

51 minutes ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Not bad but so far more advanced than the 2019 Silverado with blind spot monitoring.

Really,  Does not even offer a diesel?  Oh, I am sure they will that awesome 3.0L 25year old crap they unveiled last week......Also, You don't know what the tech is on the 2019 Silverado and they have not announced the full specs......

Does the emblem on the tailgate need to be that thick? WOW! I am concerned about the truck bed height.

I have a Silverado now, and the top of the tailgate of my Silverado is the same height of the Colorado.

Will the Ford Ranger will be lower.

I miss the days of the S-10 where I could reach over into the bed and grab stuff out. Maybe the Ranger will address this?

8 minutes ago, flyboyron said:

Does the emblem on the tailgate need to be that thick? WOW! I am concerned about the truck bed height.

I have a Silverado now, and the top of the tailgate of my Silverado is the same height of the Colorado.

Will the Ford Ranger will be lower.

I miss the days of the S-10 where I could reach over into the bed and grab stuff out. Maybe the Ranger will address this?

They put the back up camera in there. Same spot the F150 had it till 2015. 

4 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Not bad but so far more advanced than the 2019 Silverado with blind spot monitoring.

Except from the interior pics of the 2019 Silverado, it does have Blind spot monitors. For those to lazy to turn their neck.

4 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

The blind spot monitoring sensor is in the bumper. But I am sure we will hear some other sort of complaint...

See video around the 17 min mark. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Daly said:

Except from the interior pics of the 2019 Silverado, it does have Blind spot monitors. For those to lazy to turn their neck.

For those with back injuries, blind spot monitoring is a god-send!

I adjust my mirrors out far enough and have no blind spots. It takes some getting used to at first, but once you're familiar, you never have to crane your neck to look over your shoulder.  People probably think I'm lazy or careless when lane changing, when in reality, I can see everything. The first vehicle I own with the monitoring will have either the lights disabled or system turn off. I can't stand the amber blinky lights coming on in the mirrors incessantly.

• 3 weeks later...
On January 17, 2018 at 10:02 AM, carkhz316 said:

I adjust my mirrors out far enough and have no blind spots. It takes some getting used to at first, but once you're familiar, you never have to crane your neck to look over your shoulder.  People probably think I'm lazy or careless when lane changing, when in reality, I can see everything. The first vehicle I own with the monitoring will have either the lights disabled or system turn off. I can't stand the amber blinky lights coming on in the mirrors incessantly.

This is why I love the tow mirrors on my HD.  Due to my tool box and size of the truck in general, turning my head doesn't help me see my blind spots.  My tow mirrors don't let me miss a thing!

Archived