What am I missing about the headlights?

I have been skimming of headlight complaints on these trucks since 2015. Whats the short summary? 

I had a 2010 Silverado and that truck had amazing headlights. Like the best ever. I had a 2015 Silverado and the head lights seemed fine. Clearly not as good as 2010 but they worked fine for me. 

I just bought a 2018 Sierra with HID head lights and I am trying to figure out if there will be an issue. Some say to replace them with LEDs. Some say you cannot replace them with LEDs. Some reviews say the 2018 HIDs are amazing and were improved. Im basically lost with all the internet ramblings. 

Thanks. 

Why not drive with the HID's and see how you like them instead of what people on the internet say? HIDs produce better light output than halogens. I imagine most of the people complaining are people who aren't used to HIDs or know very little about them. 

26 minutes ago, Macleod52 said:

Why not drive with the HID's and see how you like them instead of what people on the internet say? HIDs produce better light output than halogens. I imagine most of the people complaining are people who aren't used to HIDs or know very little about them. 

I will but I am board and the dealer wont let me pick the truck up for a few days. So, I am searching the internet trying to stay distracted. 

Just now, frenchsquared said:

I will but I am board and the dealer wont let me pick the truck up for a few days. So, I am searching the internet trying to stay distracted. 

Understandable. I had a 2009 Malibu and GM had redesigned their halogen headlights/housings and it produced an amazing result (Compared to my '99 Grand Am and '01 Corvette). I'm not 100% on the specs but I believe HIDs produce 3000 lumens whereas typically halogens produce around 1400. Lumens is the brightness of the light so HID's are over 2x as bright as a typical halogen. I believe the halogens GM used in my Malibu were actually rated at 3000 lumens... but they did not have a projector. A projector makes a world of difference for the headlights. It offers an even light pattern with little to no hot spots (darker area's on the ground where the light doesn't illuminate the ground). 

Another thing you have to get used to is the color temperature of the headlights. HID's from the factory are around 4300-5000k. This produces a white light (think sunlight). Halogens on the other hand are typically around 2700-3200k which produces more of a yellow light. Most people are used to halogens and therefore like the yellow light better; however, OEM HIDs offer true daylight color which for some is far superior. 

Halogens have definitely come a long way in the past 10 years but I feel HIDs are superior.

• Thanks 1

I am completely satisfied with the HIDs in my 16. That being said I had an SLT premium plus as a loaner for a couple of weeks and the LED lights on it were killer! I personally prefer the looks of the running lights on the full LED headlights better, plus it would make your regular cab truck really stand out since the LED lights aren't an option on them. But the cost to upgrade isn't worth it, or at least I keep trying to convince myself that so I don't spend any more money.

• Like 1

my 16 led headlights and led fogs light up the road man~.. i dont think you can get better than that combo... ..well only when i put that 32' led light bar on~.. like night to day in 2 seconds!

I think you should be fine with the stock HIDs on the 2018.  The stock headlamps on 2014-2015 Sierras were terrible and thats being gracious.  You might need to adjust them up some on a stock truck or leave as is if you level/lift your truck.  BTW your new truck is very nice.

Congratulations sir.

• Thanks 1

My ‘16s had LED and I liked them a lot.  I thought the cut-off was a little severe but I got used to it.

When I got this truck with the HIDs with LED fogs, I was very concerned. I actually LOOKED for some perceptible light quality gap.  Didn’t see one.   I’m happy with my HIDs.  

I had a 14 with the bad headlights.  The upgrade made them ok.  I tried some led bulbs, liked the colour but never really got a better beam.  My 17 has hid and I would say the beam dispersion is a bit better, the colour is nicer to drive with, but i dont really get much better penetration. 

I chose a spot to take pictures of the different lights.  A parking lot with a stand of trees in the distance.  low beam and high beam differences.  I can compare them side by side and see the differences in hues and reflection on objects.  

I have not driven a led truck. 

Frenchsquared, you don't state specifically where you're from.  But there was another post about the LED headlights (I being a contributor to it) not melting wet snow that accumulates or gets kicked onto your lens in the winter.  The HID's in my last truck, '13 Silverado didn't have any issues, only with the LED on my '16 Sierra, since they make very little heat.  I had about a quarter size hole melted in the snow on the lens one night from the LED.  Just a FYI.