How To Clean Your WindShield Free of Any Contaminants

VdellaV

Hello Everyone!

As the title suggests, i wanted to share that have finally stumbled upon the perfect product to clean windshields: Dirt Cheap, Super Effective and Easily Available: Vinegar 

Im Sure many old school guys have known this trick for years, but with all the hype detailing products have brought to the market, i have to say that, at least for me, it was not common knowledge

Rainy season has returned to my city and No matter how hard i tried to get rid of grease and Spots of contamination like bugs, road grime or acid rain with DishWasher Soap and RainX, i just couldnt make the glass perfecly clear. That is, Until Now. The great thing about vinegar is that it attacks contaminants without interfering with RainX or Wax that you already have on your windows.

This is specially important to me because i travel a lot and actually prefer driving at night, and cant stand glare. In case of an emergency  (e.g. having an unexpected trip or a truck splashes me with asphalt or grease pothole water) Vinegar is pretty much available anywhere to get my vision up to speed.

I know there are products out there which would be even better for cleaning automotive glass, but i havent found any that are readily available for me  

The steps i follow to deep clean my windshield are as follow:

-Wash the Windshield with Dish Soap and microfiber towel

-Rinse the Soap with clean water

-Wash again with a mix Vinegar and Water of 50-50 and Shop Towel

-Rinse the Vinegar with clean water

-Dry The Windshield with clean Shop Towel

-Seal the now Clean Glass with RainX or Car Wax

I also Like to clean the windshield on the inside with RainX because it makes it super easy to clean.

TL:DR I Made a Video Explaining the Steps and Show The Results up Close.

I hope this thread helps anyone who is searching for an excellent alternative way of cleaning a windshield 

Regards to Everyone

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

I have always had good luck with Stoner Invisible Glass.

I´ll see if i can get it down here

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Pretty area of the world you live in. Nice write up. Thanks. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lgetz said:

Very good write up VdV.  I am going to try this on the truck once it quits raining here.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, el_er1c said:

do either of these remove hard water spots? down here in Houston, we'll get rain on a sunny day with 95+ degree weather. That rain sometimes leaves spots that are tough to remove. 

Vinegar does an amazing job

If you still have doubts try it on the rear or side window in a small area to see how it works

Remember, dont use straight vinegar, 50-50 with water should be more than enough, and rinse after wiping it

1 hour ago, VdellaV said:

Vinegar does an amazing job

If you still have doubts try it on the rear or side window in a small area to see how it works

Remember, dont use straight vinegar, 50-50 with water should be more than enough, and rinse after wiping it

45 minutes ago, duquephart said:

One word: claybar.

Thanks! I'll try both.

Update on testing Car Wax instead of RainX after a couple nights of rain:

Pros

-Repells Water much more efficiently

-Better Visibility

-Easier Cleaning

Cons

-Much More Labor to Apply

-Not Wiped Water leaves Marks when evaporated (But comes out easily on the next wipe)

I will inform on the longevity of the wax after some time, but im guessing it will last more than RainX.

50/50 water and vinegar makes your chrome look like new, as well. Particularly helpful when cleaning old dirty wheels that you want to bring back to life. I had a set of chrome wheels that I neglected for at least 5 years and they came out looking almost brand new...not bad for the way I treated them in the mud and 115 degree southern CA summers for years on end.