Anyone start tearing down a 2019 to install sound system?

3 hours ago, Sotxdenali said:

That’s nice, what size subs does it have, and if it’s not too much to ask, how much and where did you get it?

I purchased it from MTI Acoustics.  I ordered it loaded with subs and amp,  JL 12tw3 and RD1000/1.  At the time I ordered it they were having a sale paid $1260.  I went with the cheaper option, no leather, windows, porting etc.....  That sale is long gone, probably the best one they'll ever have, even better than black friday sale.  And it seems like there pricing went up.  

https://www.mtiacoustics.com/

mti1.JPG

• Thanks 1

JL Audio System...

Ok, I finally got my system installed. I have a 2019 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab with Bose.  It hits hard and deep and clean.  I did not want to fork out the $1500 for the JL Stealthbox with 2 of their thin 12'' subs.  I've always had the W3s and loved their clean deep sound and didn't want to risk being dissappointed with their thin subs. So I did a lot of research and ended up with the following:  (PLUS, I saved about $500 overall doing it this way.)

I hope this posts helps clarify some challenges/questions.  

Amp: JL JX-1000

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Jx500-Mono-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B0081K3M5G/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=jl+audio+amplifier&qid=1570760485&sprefix=jl+&sr=8-4

Amp Wiring Kit: (high quality stuff)

Subs: 2 x JL 10w3v3 4 ohm

Bass Volume Knob:  installed up front under the steering column.  Allows me to turn the bass all the way down -- just Bose system playing. Or up to desired level.

Box: (very happy with quality of build and fitment in my truck) I did apply some additional caulk inside the box where it looked like some of the cracks were missed)

Wiring:

You'll need to determine if you have the 'noise cancelling' feature.  If you do, you'll see a microphone thing on the ceiling above your rear seat.  LLJ Customs can provide you a harness bypass plug as part of your T-harness purchase if you do.  I did not have that feature so all I used was the T-harness. 

You'll need to order a Line Output Converter (LOC) with the T-harness from LLJ so that you can get clean signal to your amplifier.  I went with the upgraded "active" LOC -- https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/factory-system-upgrade/lc2i/ -- WHICH LLJ will hook up for you as part of the T-harness purchase.

NOTE: You'll need to remove the back seat from the back wall in order to run your wires and install the Lc2i.  I don't have a picture of it, but my installer used double sided sticky tape to adhere it to the back wall just to the right of some other electronic box that was alread in there. (there's plenty of room on the back wall for it)

Here's a good video that is helpful.  However when he talks about pushing down on the seat locks, don't do that.  I used a long allen wrench to lift up on the hook on top of the locking mechanism which made it much easier.  There are 4 10mm bolts on the bottom you'll have to use an extender to reach.  Once you get them started, you can remove them by hand.  

Here are some pics of my install:

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 2.46.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 2.46.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 2.46.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 2.46.12 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
Chewpeg,I wanted to ask because you were concerned about the post Bose amp signal and how that would affect your system overall.How did that turn out? Did you have any signal or phase issues ?

Sorry for the massive delay here. Yes I was concerned and it came to fruition. There is way too much equalizing and whatever else they do in that Bose DSP to get a clean signal. The only saving grace was using Dirac live to tune it but it’s still not good enough. I’m going to purchase the nav-tv which totally removes the Bose amp which I am extremely excited to use. Hoping for a Black Friday deal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone help me on what wire or fuse they tap into for a 12v ignition source for the amp box?

I tied into the Center console USB plug that faces the rear. Couldn’t find anything with the amp and that USB worked nicely.

4 hours ago, Chewpeg said:

I tied into the Center console USB plug that faces the rear. Couldn’t find anything with the amp and that USB worked nicely.

How difficult was it to get to those wires? I’m looking to add a USB port inside the console and was thinking about using those.

How difficult was it to get to those wires? I’m looking to add a USB port inside the console and was thinking about using those.

Very easy. The console comes off in pieces. Couple screws in the cup holder and plastic trim pieces to take off. I was impressed how easy it was.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 4:24 PM, Chewpeg said:

Sorry for the massive delay here. Yes I was concerned and it came to fruition. There is way too much equalizing and whatever else they do in that Bose DSP to get a clean signal. The only saving grace was using Dirac live to tune it but it’s still not good enough. I’m going to purchase the nav-tv which totally removes the Bose amp which I am extremely excited to use. Hoping for a Black Friday deal :)

That NavTV unit looks fantastic.Pricey but it takes the Databus signals and converts them into analog signals for an amp.I'm very surprised they don't come with the speaker output connectors for the other 2 plugs at the Bose amplifier.Maybe they sell them separately?

That NavTV unit looks fantastic.Pricey but it takes the Databus signals and converts them into analog signals for an amp.I'm very surprised they don't come with the speaker output connectors for the other 2 plugs at the Bose amplifier.Maybe they sell them separately?

The idea here is you want a clean signal to go to the amps. The Bose amplifier really messes with the output. You can buy/get made separate adapters for the amp but if your buying this your looking to add amps. I’m super excited to get this unit and hoping for a Black Friday deal to pick this up. I’m going to use toslimk to a minidsp. Going to be amazing!!!

13 hours ago, Chewpeg said:

The idea here is you want a clean signal to go to the amps. The Bose amplifier really messes with the output. You can buy/get made separate adapters for the amp but if your buying this your looking to add amps. I’m super excited to get this unit and hoping for a Black Friday deal to pick this up. I’m going to use toslimk to a minidsp. Going to be amazing!!!

I completely agree with your comment. I was able to get the best Sound I ever had in all of vehicles. I love the way the Jl audio Fix gave me options and EQ settings as well as Fiber optic sound to My Jl audio Vi amps.

I have a fix 86 but may not end up using it. I picked up a Helix dsp3 and hope it can clean up the incoming signals. If not I’ll go navtv for simplicity. 

If you’re using a basic LOC for a sub I would highly suggest getting a dsp. You’re missing out on 50% of your bass without it even using a bass knob to try and boost the signal.