In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Zane

EXCLUSIVE: Never Seen Before Blacked Out 2020 Corvette Logo, Gauge Startup Animation, & New Script

2020_Corvette_Startup_Animation_Zora.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher - GM-Trucks.com

Februrary 7th, 2019 

Yesterday we brought you an exclusive look at the new logo for the 2020 C8 Corvette in a digital high-resolution format. Although the logo had been previously rendered through a leaked key fob passing through FCC certification, GM-Trucks.com gave you the very first official version of the emblem in digital format. 

Today, we've got part two and it's even better: 

• A brand new, never before seen, blacked out version of the 2020 Corvette's iconic emblem
  • The corresponding gauge cluster startup animation
  • Your first look at the brand new Corvette script

First things first, what's a startup animation? Well, these days a lot of new GM products use an LCD display in the gauge cluster, or even use a display as the entire gauge cluster. The C7 Corvette (and now C8) uses a large 8-ish inch screen for most of the gauge cluster.  When you open the door, the gauge cluster "starts up" showing an animation, usually with the Chevrolet logo or in this case the Corvette's logo and script. Our 2019 Silverado LTZ has a Chevy Logo animate on it's 4 inch gauge cluster display. 

This is a C7's Gauge Cluster. See that huge screen? The C8 is going to have a variation of that. Maybe the same, maybe larger. 

C7 Corvette Gauge Cluster

Interesting to note, this crossed flags emblem is not the same as the logo we leaked yesterday. Instead of a chrome surround it sports a blacked out trim. It looks mean, nasty, and one may presume it just may be destined for a performance variant of the Corvette. Is this the emblem for the rumored Zora model?

We won't comment specifically on how we obtained this animation. We can say it was collected from publicly available file by a third party and passed along to us. 

This is the gauge cluster start up animation for the up-level (Zora?) 2020 C8 Corvette

Here's a closer look at that blacked out emblem variation

2020_Corvette_Black_Logo_C8.jpg

And here's a closer look at the 2020 Corvette Logo Script- which has evolved from it's C7 form

2020 Corvette Logo Script

Here's the C7 logo and script for comparison

2019_C7_CorvetteLogo.jpg

What do you think? Are you excited for the Corvette to go mid-engine? Do you think Chevy's graphical updates to the logo and script are living up to the hype of the 2020 Corvette?

• Like 1

NO, I am not a fan of mid engine, I have 2 Corvettes, and I think the C-7 looks way too European, Corvette is an AMERICAN Icon, it can compete with the European cars, performance wise etc, but it doesn't have to LOOK like a European car, it is a North American tradition...................... and before everyone rips me a new one, I understand all the tech behind the design and why they are doing it, but we are losing our identity............... I will keep my front engine Corvette, and be happy to hold the tradition, I'm just an old fuddy duddy when it comes to not messing with what has been a good thing...... and geez, who would be able to afford to buy one.... just a 'regular' Corvette is over 100 grand here in Canada...... so with that little rant, I hope Chevrolet is successful with their design changes for the C 8 and power choice/ designs....... I'm a solid Corvette guy....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎09 at 10:13 AM, The Beagleman said:

NO, I am not a fan of mid engine, I have 2 Corvettes, and I think the C-7 looks way too European, Corvette is an AMERICAN Icon, it can compete with the European cars, performance wise etc, but it doesn't have to LOOK like a European car, it is a North American tradition...................... and before everyone rips me a new one, I understand all the tech behind the design and why they are doing it, but we are losing our identity............... I will keep my front engine Corvette, and be happy to hold the tradition, I'm just an old fuddy duddy when it comes to not messing with what has been a good thing...... and geez, who would be able to afford to buy one.... just a 'regular' Corvette is over 100 grand here in Canada...... so with that little rant, I hope Chevrolet is successful with their design changes for the C 8 and power choice/ designs....... I'm a solid Corvette guy....

I agree. The C7 has a 49%-51% rear weight bias. If you watch the IMSA Weathertech series, you will notice the C7.R is faster than most of the other cars in the corners as well as the turn entry, the rest of the field has a better launch and corner exit with the mid and rear engine platforms. I would say they have more or less perfected the front-mid engine platform by now. The C8 will be largely based off of what Chev learned with their IMSA Proto a few years back. While a great concept, on what will be a faster car, it is not a Corvette in my eye regardless of what Zora Duntov dreamed about. I hope they do not replace the front engine platform entirely, but offer the C8 as a halo car preferably with a different name plate. 

• Like 1

You and I are on the same page....... they can do a mid engined car, that fine, but please keep the rest of them as is...... I think it will be the demise of the Corvette if they just go to a total mid engine, some of us old guys like the car as it was originally designed... American Icon....

• Like 1

The Corvette has had mid-engine in its blood since 1959.  I say its about time. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, newdude said:

The Corvette has had mid-engine in its blood since 1959.  I say its about time. 

Maybe, but there still has to be room for tradition......as long as not ALL of them are............. I'm wondering what the price point will be, they are now nearly all over 100 grand here in Canada... BUT if they do go to full on mid engine, that's ok I guess, I have a couple I am very happy with , and I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy another new one in my lifetime..... so if they do it, I hope it is very successful, and not riddled with a bunch of unforeseen issues..... we live in exciting times for sure......

On 2/9/2019 at 10:13 AM, The Beagleman said:

NO. Also not currently a fan of the upcoming C8 platform. Having three Corvettes myself, a C6 '13 427 Convt., C7 '15 Z06/Z07  and '19 C7 ZR1/ZTK I am enthusiastic for the front engine pushrod V8 Corvette platform. All this nonsense about needing a rear mid-engine Corvette platform to achieve a perfect 50/50 balance for track handling performance is nothing more than marketing hype to perpetuate the myth. FE Corvettes actually currently have a near perfect 50/50 weight front to rear balance with the engine center of gravity behind the front axle line and the transmission moved to the rear long ago. Corvettes have been outperforming many of the rear mid-engine euro models for years. I am not one to cling to the past. Remember the furor over the newly released C6 not having hideaway headlights? I embraced that styling change. They were an improvement over the nonoperative vacuum headlight systems of the C2-C5s. The Corvettes have always led the performance vehicle for value market. The C8 platform will naturally accelerate the vehicle cost. The question remains for what performance increase. Is GM simply marketing to the new market to embrace the "euro" appearance and to satisfy european car safety requirements? I think this move is a huge gamble for the nameplate. Sure GM/Chevrolet will introduce the C8 at lower introduction prices. They will also put constraints on many desirable options to limit the slim profit margins during inventory buildup. After many months of introductory hype and marketing gimmicks the prices will climb, options will become available just and GM will continue to charge $600- $1000 for no-cost options like caliper and paint option color changes. GM has learned well from Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren. What they have lost sight of is their loyal customer base. GM is not Porche, Ferrari, McLaren or the European manufacturers. They never were, never will be. I am disappointed in the direction GM has decided to take with the Corvette model. The C8 should have been a Cadillac. Cadillac has dabbled with Carrozzeria Pininfarina in the past. Remember what a success that was?  That being said, with the fact that I have been a staunch GM customer for over half a century, I do hope the C8 Corvette model will be successful. If it is not, I fear the end of the Corvette nameplate will be forthcoming.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ROBWILKER said:

NO. Also not currently a fan of the upcoming C8 platform. Having three Corvettes myself, a C6 '13 427 Convt., C7 '15 Z06/Z07  and '19 C7 ZR1/ZTK I am enthusiastic for the front engine pushrod V8 Corvette platform. All this nonsense about needing a rear mid-engine Corvette platform to achieve a perfect 50/50 balance for track handling performance is nothing more than marketing hype to perpetuate the myth. FE Corvettes actually currently have a near perfect 50/50 weight front to rear balance with the engine center of gravity behind the front axle line and the transmission moved to the rear long ago. Corvettes have been outperforming many of the rear mid-engine euro models for years. I am not one to cling to the past. Remember the furor over the newly released C6 not having hideaway headlights? I embraced that styling change. They were an improvement over the nonoperative vacuum headlight systems of the C2-C5s. The Corvettes have always led the performance vehicle for value market. The C8 platform will naturally accelerate the vehicle cost. The question remains for what performance increase. Is GM simply marketing to the new market to embrace the "euro" appearance and to satisfy european car safety requirements? I think this move is a huge gamble for the nameplate. Sure GM/Chevrolet will introduce the C8 at lower introduction prices. They will also put constraints on many desirable options to limit the slim profit margins during inventory buildup. After many months of introductory hype and marketing gimmicks the prices will climb, options will become available just and GM will continue to charge $600- $1000 for no-cost options like caliper and paint option color changes. GM has learned well from Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren. What they have lost sight of is their loyal customer base. GM is not Porche, Ferrari, McLaren or the European manufacturers. They never were, never will be. I am disappointed in the direction GM has decided to take with the Corvette model. The C8 should have been a Cadillac. Cadillac has dabbled with Carrozzeria Pininfarina in the past. Remember what a success that was?  That being said, with the fact that I have been a staunch GM customer for over half a century, I do hope the C8 Corvette model will be successful. If it is not, I fear the end of the Corvette nameplate will be forthcoming.

Rob, I can't agree more, very eloquent way you put it, and informative as well......as the Corvette is the 'flag ship' for Chevrolet, so to speak, I agree, that they may have shot themselves in the foot with this...... there is a 'tradition' to uphold, regardless of marketing etc.... I still LOVE my C 4 and C5...... one thing I do know, I will NEVER be able to order and purchase a NEW Corvette from a dealership, the cost for the average working ( retired) guy will be more than prohibitive here in Canada with all our taxes and dollar exchange.....I was lucky enough to get that once in a life time experience back in '93 when I ordered my LT1 Coupe, and for me at least, it was and will be 'Once in a life time'......  for me I can't get my head around the new C8 idea and we have all seen the 'secret' photos......... from what I have seen , it isn't a Corvette any longer............................ I'm kind of sad over that......