Upgraded Tie Rod Ends

Hey all, I did a quick search of the forum but didn't find anything about anyone mentioning some upgraded tie rod ends, mine have a tear in the boot so it won't hold grease and the squeak its causing is horrific. Looking to get some upgraded tie rod ends. Anyone have any recommendations?

8 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Most on here will suggest Moog products.

I'm hoping someone has tried the moog parts and can comment on them. I have moog lower ball joints and the cognito upper control arms.

I had looked for options when I still had my 2014. The best options are either the Moog Problem Solvers or the Mevotech Terrain Tough outer TRE's. Personally I liked the attention to detail on the Mevotech ones because they have the metal reinforcement clips on the boot to keep water out and grease in, and there's a one-way valve in the boot that lets old grease push out of the boot when you pump new grease in, so you don't have to worry about overgreasing them and blowing a boot out. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 3:24 PM, Jacoby said:

Can you detail the squeak. I got a squeak in the front but for the life of me I can’t figure out where it’s coming from

I just dropped it off at the shop, things have been crazy and finally had the chance and they are telling me its my ball joints being shot, again, so I'll be on my 3rd round of ball joints on this truck (including the original factory ball joints). Currently have moogs, been on there about 40k miles, I think they  shouldve lasted longer but oh well. ill be changing them myself so I will try to get a gopro video before changing them to show the sound.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:48 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

I had looked for options when I still had my 2014. The best options are either the Moog Problem Solvers or the Mevotech Terrain Tough outer TRE's. Personally I liked the attention to detail on the Mevotech ones because they have the metal reinforcement clips on the boot to keep water out and grease in, and there's a one-way valve in the boot that lets old grease push out of the boot when you pump new grease in, so you don't have to worry about overgreasing them and blowing a boot out. 

Thanks! I am going to look into these, just looking at the video preview it looks like they have ball joints too so I may give them a try

In a Jeep forum I read they talk about how Moog isn't what they used to be the last few years. They are now actually recommending OEM parts over them. They do say that NAPA has two different lines of parts and some of the more expensive ones are made by Spicer (at least for some of the Jeep parts). I cannot personally confirm or deny that.

I hope they are wrong because I just replaced a bunch of stuff on my Jeep with Moog parts. They have been good to me over the years. I just couldn't bring myself to buy mopar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 11:10 AM, typ0 said:

In a Jeep forum I read they talk about how Moog isn't what they used to be the last few years. They are now actually recommending OEM parts over them. They do say that NAPA has two different lines of parts and some of the more expensive ones are made by Spicer (at least for some of the Jeep parts). I cannot personally confirm or deny that.

I hope they are wrong because I just replaced a bunch of stuff on my Jeep with Moog parts. They have been good to me over the years. I just couldn't bring myself to buy mopar.

hopefully they hold up for you, I have moogs right now on my lowers and I am already needing to replace them after a little over 40k miles, I think they should still be holding up but they sadly havent. 

6 hours ago, Mike1220 said:

hopefully they hold up for you, I have moogs right now on my lowers and I am already needing to replace them after a little over 40k miles, I think they should still be holding up but they sadly havent. 

40k is pitiful compared to what they used to be. I hope they do better than that but it doesn't seem like the mopar stuff isn't holding up that well either.  

12 hours ago, typ0 said:

40k is pitiful compared to what they used to be. I hope they do better than that but it doesn't seem like the mopar stuff isn't holding up that well either.  

sadly nothing is made like it used to be. 

• 1 month later...

update, I have my TTX (Tough Terrain Xtreme) lower ball joints and tie rods in as of today, took me a while but I kept getting side tracked but I'm finally having more time in my schedule so I ordered them and plan to install them very soon. Will update when they are in.

First impressions however, I am very impressed with the joints, they look like alot of time and energy went into designing a strong ball joint that was built to last, but looks can be deceiving sometimes SOOOOO only time will tell once these things get put in

I've been installing 1000s of Moog products a year for the last 16 years and they have definitely gotten worse in quality. I find myself having to warranty them out way more than I used to. They're still redesigning and making improvements to them, but their longevity is decreasing.

My thought is that they are trying to bring their price down to be competitive with the cheaper brands. They even introduced the rk line of control arms that are complete garbage, but most parts stores replaced the ck/k line with the cheaper version. Unfortunately this is most likely due to consumers wanting the cheapest parts possible. A lot of people would rather spend $10 on a part and replace it every year then spend $40 and never replace it again.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This is a little late but you should check out Kryptonite. They’ve been making HD tie rod upgrades for the 2500’s for a long time. Now they’ve finally branches into the 1500 class. I just ordered the rod ends and sleeves for mine to hopefully avoid any issues with my lift and larger wheels/tires.