I just got mine back from the 4th balancing. Took to a different dealership (GMC) and to a service advisor I've known for a decade, and swears he is telling me the truth. They replaced one tire, and balanced the rest. He says that one of my wheels was NOT bent as the Chevy dealer had told me, and that I did not need 2 tires as they had told me. It is a lot better, but I am still feeling the rear end shake periodically as it did before, but the constant drumming is better. I am sure that there is some harmonic thing going on with the driveshaft or the frame. I'm going to put the miles on as quickly as I can, and turn it in before the lease is over. My last GM product.

I just got mine back from the 4th balancing. Took to a different dealership (GMC) and to a service advisor I've known for a decade, and swears he is telling me the truth. They replaced one tire, and balanced the rest. He says that one of my wheels was NOT bent as the Chevy dealer had told me, and that I did not need 2 tires as they had told me. It is a lot better, but I am still feeling the rear end shake periodically as it did before, but the constant drumming is better. I am sure that there is some harmonic thing going on with the driveshaft or the frame. I'm going to put the miles on as quickly as I can, and turn it in before the lease is over. My last GM product.

The 8 spd tranny is known to have torque converter problems, usually described as a shudder. And, it comes and goes. Usually, a complete flush (23 qts of an improved oil type) including the cooler and filter change fixes it.

I had some issues but never as bad as some here reported.

Things I have done.

1. Bilstein 5100 setting 2 up from the bottom.

2. Torqued the rear u bolts to 100ft lbs.

3. Got rid of the oem Goodyears at less than 500 miles after the dealer had road force balanced and replaced one or two. Replaced with top of the line Goodyears I suffered with until 25,000 miles with multiple road force balancing and rotations at my expense. One tire was out of spec at over 30lbs.

Then I bought a new set of Michelins from Costco. No road force balancing there. But after almost 10,000 miles I am very very pleased. Normal vibrations equal to my wife's highlander.

2016 SLT 4x4 20" wheels

The 8 spd tranny is known to have torque converter problems, usually described as a shudder. And, it comes and goes. Usually, a complete flush (23 qts of an improved oil type) including the cooler and filter change fixes it.

How about the six-speeds, any torque converter issues with them?

I don't know. However, I went to the search bar up in the top right corner of this forum and typed in "6 speed transmission" and got back several sub-forums about the 6 speed. I didn't bother to read through any of them though as I have the 8 speed. I did have torque converter shudder though. At first, being the roads in my area generally suck, being concrete with expansion joints every eight feet and with those scribed squiggly marks, I pick up some road vibration no matter what I'm driving. Anyway, as the converter problem became progressively worse I finally determined I wasn't paranoid as reading this thread will make you that way :) just fyi for those with the 8 sp, there's a service bulletin out on the shudder problem and it specifies the fix that I listed above.

I have a 6 speed and I have the same issues with the torque converter shuttering. Snoringbear is right about this forum making you paranoid. I've tried to just deal with it and try not to think about it. My feelings come and go with it.

Oh Boy, I just purchased a 2017 Sierra 4X4 club cab exactly like my 2014 I traded. I got the same 20" wheels, the same suspension according to the build sheet. I finally got rid of most of the vibration in the seat at 65 to 80 mph with the help of Michelin. They also helped to a degree addressing the absolute rediculiuos hard ride. They recommended Michelin Premier LTX which has a softer rubber compound. It did help as far as the ride now on a smooth road at 80mph is as smooth as silk. Michelin has the absolute best customer service.

Now, the harsh ride when hitting bumps is a real issue. The dealer feels my pain and is working with me trying to find a solution. This is a $52000.00 truck that hits bumps and makes your spine hurt. I hate the truck because of that. I have managed to put almost 4000 miles on it so far but enjoy very few of the miles. I even replaced the original tires with Michelins to make it exactly the same as the last. That $1000.00 was a waste but it was after Michelin honored their 30 day ride guarantee and suggested another tire that I felt the money was well spent as far as the vibration and a bit of the harsh ride. This truck has an issue with the suspension and is much stiffer than my 2014. Nobody warned me that I would encounter such a crappy ride. Of course not, its gotta be better than a 3 year old truck you would have to think.

After hitting an expansion joint the rear axle has a bump-bump with the second bump solid as a rock. My 2014 was such a pleasure to drive now I understand why they gave me such a great trade in.

According to the GM field rep, the frame has been stiffened up to increase the roll over rating which has caused the additional harsh ride. Try to get that same guy to show up at the dealership. He can hide behind his email and the phone easier and not have to communicate with the end user. He is a coward. Man, do test drive adequately before buying and don't assume like I did that the ride would be like your identical truck 3 years older. The biggest mistake I have made in a long time.

I am going to either downsize the tires , install a set of aftermarket Sulastic's , or trade this terrible riding truck. It really sucks to have convinced my company to buy GMC pick-ups and now have one I can hardly drive.

Any suggestions out there? I called GM customer service and what a waste of time. The lady said she had no technical knowledge and therefore she was absolutely no help. She actually blew me off and said so sorry, truck is working as engineered. Well they need some new engineers or at least send one out to ride in this beauty.

I couldn't even get GM to send a field rep to ride with me. I am really upset about this one. Nothing but GM cars in the family and this will probably be the last.... Such a shame ..

Maybe some GM representative will read this and relay the issue to the Corporate offices since customer service is a joke.

"Now, the harsh ride when hitting bumps is a real issue. The dealer feels my pain and is working with me trying to find a solution. This is a $52000.00 truck that hits bumps and makes your spine hurt. I hate the truck because of that."

--------------

Yeah, I have basically the same truck; 2015 Silverado 6.2/8 spd LTZ CC 4X4, and it rides rougher than my 2008 Silverado LT CC 2/4. While not a Z71, I think the 4X4's are sprung stiffer than the 2X4's. Being that the Avalance is no longer in production I wish GM would provide as an option rear coil springs, perhaps on the LTZ and HighCountry or maybe a separate model. They could brand it The Softy, lol. Actually, GM offered the C/K with choice of rear coils or leaf springs for years 1967 thru 1972. Ram offers coil rear coils on their 1500 with air bags as an option for those needing heavy duty towing and hauling. Maybe I'll check out the Ram next time I'm in the market.

• Like 1

2017 Silverado LT

CC

SB

5.3L

6-speed

68+ mph

4000 miles

So my Vibration wasn't as bad as some of the videos that I have seen posted where the water in the cup was shaking all over the place. It also did not make any audible shaking sounds, but I could feel it. I noticed it on my first long trip with the truck and thought it might be a bad balance on the tire or something.

I took it to the local chevy dealer and they ran the picoscope on it. They confirmed that it did have a vibration.

It had a 15.3 mg Tire 1 vibration @ 14.1hz. They replaced the steering gear bushings and said that I had a defective Passive Exhaust Valve and installed a new exhaust from the Cat back.

They ran the picoscope again and the amplitude was down from 15.3mg to ~3.5mg at 14.0hz.

I have only had one short highway trip and it feels a little better. I will report back when I get a good run at highway speeds.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

No I dont have an airlift system on it.

After reading through a lot of these posts I wonder if people understand how the fuel management systems works and what it feels like when it drops the cylinders. I can clearly feel when my truck drops 4 cylinders and that has a vibration all of it's own. I understand that itself will set up its own resonation.

My problem is that the truck has a harsh kind of like double bump when it hits an expansion joint. I was on the highway today and watched a truck's rear wheels bounce repeatedly over expansion joints. That is what my truck feels like is happening but only once up and a harder down.

It sure is a crime there is so much chatter here on a thread about vibration and the thread is 4 years old? Does anyone think GM is listening?

Well I finally solved my vibration issue. Ordered a 2018 Jeep Rubicon the other day. Between the hassle with the dealer on the vibration issue and the wife complaining the truck was too big, I have thrown in the towel. Will miss this forum...take care.

• Like 3

Good Luck with your Rubicon . It truly is a shame GM is not listening. I have many contractors for clients. I drive up in my beautiful GMC pickup and they have 300 Ford pickups in their fleets. Many of them are in their shops being worked on.

I always wondered why so many Fords, why not GM Trucks. The answer I keep hearing is, the suspension on the Fords goes forever. I really like my gmc but am starting to think there might be something to this Ford thing. I cant get the suspension straightened out in 4000miles. Nuts

Edited by BullShark.

Good Luck with your Rubicon . It truly is a shame GM is not listening. I have many contractors for clients. I drive up in my beautiful GMC pickup and they have 300 Ford pickups in their fleets. Many of them are in their shops being worked on.

I always wondered why so many Fords, why not GM Trucks. The answer I keep hearing is, the suspension on the Fords goes forever. I really like my gmc but am starting to think there might be something to this Ford thing. I cant get the suspension straightened out in 4000miles. Nuts

They have fords in their fleets because they were the lowest bid, it has nothing to do with which truck is better. My company puts out bids every year and purchases 50 to 75 new trucks a year and we do it at one time. Send the bid info to all the dealerships in the city where my company is located and take the lowest bid. It usually either ford or chevy but sometimes a dodge dealer will win the bid. I have had all 3 in my many years at my job and we don't treat them very nice and at the end of the day it boils down to none are better than the other. We've had good and bad in all of them, some model years are better than others, etc but with all 3 you get the same, a truck that is made cheaper every year but costs more. The grass may be greener on the other side but often times it is not.

• Like 2