I purchased a 2016 silverado a few months ago with 12k miles on it.  I noticed the vibrations 73+ miles an hour. I took it in to the chevy dealer i purchased it from and they claimed to have never heard of chevy shake and didnt have customers complaining of this ? Sounds like BS with the amount of people experiencing this issue.  They road force balanced the tires and said 2 of the tires would not balance out of "red zone" Anyone had this fix their issue?  Factory bridgestone tires.  I really am dreading going down this road with this truck.  What seems to be a common fix?? 

GM would never BS anyone!  Is it possible you purchased a buyback? They will also tell you since you are driving like a maniac (72+ mph) that you are over posted speed limits and that could void any warranty...Go buy Michelins then go from there

On 2/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, Ericruiz911 said:

So time for another update. I picked out a truck at the dealership and GM began doing the paperwork for the contract. On February 1st, I got the offer from GM and need to sign and return it for them to begin processing it and it would be 4 days before I was in the new truck. Looking over the paper work, there was an additional $1700 charge for "aftermarket parts". I contacted the GM representative and he said that is what the dealership provided and that the truck has aftermarket side steps, bed liner, and wheel locks. I told him that isn't correct because I even have pictures of the truck without the items when I originally picked it out. Well, looks like the dealership tried to make some money on the deal and I refused to pay for them so now we are back to square one. I tried asking GM if they could tell the dealership to take the parts off and they said "Unfortunately, because they’re their own entity and separate from GM, we can’t make them do that." I told GM I would be willing to order a truck and the representative told me that because this went through the BBB, the process is a bit complicated and GM generally doesn't allow people to order trucks. To get that processed, they would have to set me back up with original lady who was my first point of contact at GM, and was an absolute nightmare to work with, for her to approve it and tell me my next steps. I still have not heard back from GM after countless calls since last week so I am done with this and will being pursuing a full lawsuit against GM. Just thought those looking to go into the buyback process would like some insight on how GM handles their customers.

FYI, corporate has a great deal of persuasive abilities with dealerships so they're not being upright with you when they said they couldn't contact the dealer about the add-ons.  I once bought a Hyundai and after getting home, almost 200 miles from the dealer, I discovered the new vehicle was missing the cargo cover in the rear.  After getting nowhere from the Dealer I contacted corporate and they called the dealer to have them get me a cover. They dealer gave them backtalk and the corporate rep said to them, quote, "you're telling corporate no?"  They then saw the light and shipped me a new part ($300 retail).  And this was the kind of assistance I got for the cheapest car they made.  But then that's Hyundai and we're talking GM here.

6 hours ago, yojo said:

GM would never BS anyone!  Is it possible you purchased a buyback? They will also tell you since you are driving like a maniac (72+ mph) that you are over posted speed limits and that could void any warranty...Go buy Michelins then go from there

Here, driving 72 is driving like an old lady.  Speed limit is 75 so everyone is doing at least 80.

1 minute ago, mjb4450 said:

FYI, corporate has a great deal of persuasive abilities with dealerships so they're not being upright with you when they said they couldn't contact the dealer about the add-ons.  I once bought a Hyundai and after getting home, almost 200 miles from the dealer, I discovered the new vehicle was missing the cargo cover in the rear.  After getting nowhere from the Dealer I contacted corporate and they called the dealer to have them get me a cover. They dealer gave them backtalk and the corporate rep said to them, quote, "you're telling corporate no?"  They then saw the light and shipped me a new part ($300 retail).  And this was the kind of assistance I got for the cheapest car they made.  But then that's Hyundai and we're talking GM here.

Thanks for the insight. I mean, that's what I had originally thought but I have it in writing with GM telling me they have no authority over a vehicle that was selected for the buyback process and was altered after it was designated so if that's the case, the lawsuit should be a breeze but it will contain every single cost associated with the issue down to mileage incurred for searching for a replacement vehicle. I just want to get out of this damn truck already. 

11 hours ago, mjb4450 said:

Here, driving 72 is driving like an old lady.  Speed limit is 75 so everyone is doing at least 80.

Here in Texas speed limit is 75 on most four line highways outside metro areas and 80 on some interstate highways in West Texas.  

54 minutes ago, Snoringbear said:

Here in Texas speed limit is 75 on most four line highways outside metro areas and 80 on some interstate highways in West Texas.  

Oops!  Almost forgot!  Loop SH 130, a 40 mile toll road that runs around the southeast side of Austin has 85 mph speed limit.  I’ve driven it a couple of times but was towing my camper in both instances so didn’t get to enjoy the experience ?...

"I purchased a 2016 silverado a few months ago with 12k miles on it.  I noticed the vibrations 73+ miles an hour. I took it in to the chevy dealer i purchased it from and they claimed to have never heard of chevy shake and didnt have customers complaining of this ? Sounds like BS with the amount of people experiencing this issue.  They road force balanced the tires and said 2 of the tires would not balance out of "red zone" Anyone had this fix their issue?  Factory bridgestone tires.  I really am dreading going down this road with this truck.  What seems to be a common fix?? "

My vibration issue was solved by changing to Michelin tires and having them road force balanced to the gnats ass.

My truck came with the OEM 22's, so I wasn't too concerned about the vibration as I was sure it was the wheels/tires. When I had the same issue with different rims/tires, I tried to get the local GM dealer to fix it-- they admitted there was a problem (verified by pico test) but conveniently it was "within spec." They were worse than useless, had my truck in four times to no avail. Went to Discount Tire, completely different customer service. Put on a set of Michelin's (275-70-18's)-- they did a "standard balance" and I still had minor shake. They then performed full RFB to very tight tolerances, and my shake is almost entirely gone.

For other folks it may be driveshaft etc, bottom line is, anything that's out of whack in the driveline can cause these tuning forks to vibrate.  

Find a good tire shop that will do an RFB, though it sounds in your case like you're going to have to replace at least two tires. Your dealer should cover this-- they're admitting they sold you a truck with tires that will not properly balance out of the "red zone." Good luck.

On 2/11/2019 at 12:25 PM, yojo said:

The original purchaser was an older guy that passes away and his son sold the truck back to the dealer, I know this because I ran into the guy a day later at the dealership he was getting his tags back (truck was only on the lot a day)  Don't know where you are driving that 72 is a maniac....  Last I read warranty doesn't state posted speed limits

On 2/12/2019 at 11:43 AM, Forester1 said:

"I purchased a 2016 silverado a few months ago with 12k miles on it.  I noticed the vibrations 73+ miles an hour. I took it in to the chevy dealer i purchased it from and they claimed to have never heard of chevy shake and didnt have customers complaining of this ? Sounds like BS with the amount of people experiencing this issue.  They road force balanced the tires and said 2 of the tires would not balance out of "red zone" Anyone had this fix their issue?  Factory bridgestone tires.  I really am dreading going down this road with this truck.  What seems to be a common fix?? "

My vibration issue was solved by changing to Michelin tires and having them road force balanced to the gnats ass.

My truck came with the OEM 22's, so I wasn't too concerned about the vibration as I was sure it was the wheels/tires. When I had the same issue with different rims/tires, I tried to get the local GM dealer to fix it-- they admitted there was a problem (verified by pico test) but conveniently it was "within spec." They were worse than useless, had my truck in four times to no avail. Went to Discount Tire, completely different customer service. Put on a set of Michelin's (275-70-18's)-- they did a "standard balance" and I still had minor shake. They then performed full RFB to very tight tolerances, and my shake is almost entirely gone.

For other folks it may be driveshaft etc, bottom line is, anything that's out of whack in the driveline can cause these tuning forks to vibrate.  

Find a good tire shop that will do an RFB, though it sounds in your case like you're going to have to replace at least two tires. Your dealer should cover this-- they're admitting they sold you a truck with tires that will not properly balance out of the "red zone." Good luck.

Thanks for the info.  I was just skeptical that bad tires was the issue because it seems like its an easy way out for the them since the tires are pro rated via warranty and I have to over part of the cost.  I also am looking to put a size bigger tire on the truck since I added 5100s (truck shook previous to shocks) So Its promising to see someone else had balancing issues with the factory tires.

1 hour ago, ChopZ71 said:

The original purchaser was an older guy that passes away and his son sold the truck back to the dealer, I know this because I ran into the guy a day later at the dealership he was getting his tags back (truck was only on the lot a day)  Don't know where you are driving that 72 is a maniac....  Last I read warranty doesn't state posted speed limits

Thanks for the info.  I was just skeptical that bad tires was the issue because it seems like its an easy way out for the them since the tires are pro rated via warranty and I have to over part of the cost.  I also am looking to put a size bigger tire on the truck since I added 5100s (truck shook previous to shocks) So Its promising to see someone else had balancing issues with the factory tires.

The posted speed limit in ohio was 65 at the time! NO it doesn't state in the  warranty that you have to obey the speed limit, that is what I was told at my dealer...Hence the point I was trying to make is that they will try anything from flat spots on tires from sitting on the lot to "excessive speed" to get out from having to try to solve the problem!

Folks, we can all post on these forums until the cows come home but it won't mean squat except to aid in the venting process...report ALL problems so there can be a collective information data report that can actually be reviewed and possibly put pressure on any manufacturer for a fix.

https://www.nhtsa.gov

I'm new to this Forum, and not exactly sure that my post was seen, or if it got buried in all of the others.  I had the same shake/vibration issue and it is now fine due to the latest service bulletin.  The following is the post by "NEWDUDE" that was originally posted 11/8/18 and updated with the following:

• pip_piston-4.png
  • newdude
  • 5,766 posts

Not sure if this has made rounds on this forum yet, but it was brought to my attention at work as we have a 2016 5.3/A8 in for this concern right now (we've done them in the past but its been a month or two). 

I've highlighted in red the big change, GM is no longer replacing converters based on their findings on returned warranty units as it can still come right back.  The triple flush has been dropped for now, just a flush and re-evaluate.  It does appear they must be on to something that is a better fix as they are working on one to be released Q1 2019.  Looks like they will continue to only flush/fill them for now. 

This does apply to ALL 8 speed applications, both 8L45 and 8L90, EXCLUDING the new T1 1500 trucks.  Stay tuned...

#16-NA-175: Shake and/or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration Between 25 and 80 MPH (40 and 128 KM/H) at a Steady State - (Oct 11, 2018)

Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

• A shake and/or shudder during light throttle acceleration between 25 and 80 mph (40 and 128 km/h) steady state driving when transmission is not actively shifting gears.
  • A shudder feeling that may be described as driving over rumble strips or rough pavement.
  • Shudder feeling is evident in both Drive and M7 MY15-16 & L7 MY17, MY18 and MY19 mode.

Important: Do NOT replace the torque converter or transmission assembly for this condition. Engineer reviews have proven that replacing the torque converter does not provide a long-term solution to TCC shudder. A revised service procedure will be released in Q1 of 2019. If the vehicle experiences a repeat shudder condition, this document should be followed again.

All part replacement claims will be subject to engineering analysis. Any part(s) determined not to be defective will be subject to a possible claim debit.

Note: This procedure has been updated to eliminate the replacement of the transmission oil filter.

To confirm TCC Shudder, the vibration concern must be created in normal operation (Mode A) of the test. If the concern is gone with the torque converter clutch disabled (Mode B, TCC Open) and is gone with torque converter clutch enabled (Mode C, TCC Locked), then the vibration root cause is TCC Shudder, and the fluid flush procedure corrective action described below should be performed.

If the concern is not present in Mode A, then the vibration concern is NOT TCC shudder.

If the concern is still present with the torque converter clutch disabled (Mode B) or with the torque converter clutch enabled (Mode C, TCC slip speed at zero), then the vibration root cause is NOT TCC Shudder.

Vibrations not identified as TCC Shudder should be further investigated using the Vehicle Vibration Diagnosis in SI as a starting point.

Service Procedure

Important: Requires Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF DEXRON HP transmission fluid.

Note: Replacement of the transmission oil filter is not required for this procedure.

1. Drain, Clean pan/magnet, Oil Fill, & Remove fluid from the oil cooler lines.

Note: If you find that the fluid is cloudy, milky, or appears to be contaminated with water or engine coolant, DO NOT proceed with below steps. Follow Both SI Procedures for Cooling System Leak Testing and Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission.

• A.) Use filtered compressed air regulated to 60 psi to remove transmission fluid from the transmission oil cooler lines.
    • B.) Remove the transmission fluid pan and drain transmission fluid following SI procedures for the application you’re working on. Discard all oil.
    • C.) Clean the pan/magnet if any metallic particles present.

Install the transmission fluid pan and refill with new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF DEXRON HP transmission fluid following the Fluid Fill Procedure in SI to obtain correct fluid level.

The shudder should be improved after the completion of this flush procedure.

Note: Shudder should improve directionally right away, but for full affect, the vehicle may need to be driven up to 200 miles (322 km) and a minimum of two cold to hot drive cycles before determining if the fluid flush corrected the condition or not. Do not re-evaluate vehicle for additional customer shudder concerns until the vehicle has been driven 200 miles (322 km).

(My Feb 1 Post):

Shake or Vibration Issues

Gene Salois replied to Silver space ship's topic in 2014-2018 Silverado & Sierra Troubleshooting

I have a 2018 Sierra Denali 6.2 with 1000 miles on it. I noticed the shutter/vibration the day I picked it up (Dec 27, 2018). Just had the flush at the dealer yesterday with new fluid. It is 100% better. Hopefully that did the trick. I will update if it comes back. Thanks to all that posted.. Definitely pointed me in the right direction.

February 14 - Still no issues, rides as it should. Completely fine with no shutter or vibration. Seems to accelerate better and smoother now too.

Edited by Gene Salois
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gene Salois said:

(My Feb 1 Post):

Shake or Vibration Issues

Gene Salois replied to Silver space ship's topic in 2014-2018 Silverado & Sierra Troubleshooting

I have a 2018 Sierra Denali 6.2 with 1000 miles on it. I noticed the shutter/vibration the day I picked it up (Dec 27, 2018). Just had the flush at the dealer yesterday with new fluid. It is 100% better. Hopefully that did the trick. I will update if it comes back. Thanks to all that posted.. Definitely pointed me in the right direction.

February 14 - Still no issues, rides as it should. Completely fine with no shutter or vibration. Seems to accelerate better and smoother now too.

Gene, thank you for the update and if it hasn't been said, welcome to the site!