I run Michelin’s on four vehicles one of which is a 1500 Silverado cc 6.2 4X4.   Haven’t had a bad experience yet.  Do I get 70K miles out of a 70K rated tire?  No, I don’t.  But, I do get 50K + out of them.  However, I rarely wear tires down to the wear-bars as three of the cars are primarily driven by the women in my family.  Call me chovenist if you want.  I call myself protective.  Besides, I buy all my tires at Discount Tire and they are always willing to call Michelin and get me an adjustment on the worn tires, typically about $25/tire which covers road hazard charge.  Anyway, I’m happy ?.

4 hours ago, Harlech said:

Haha, I didn't have much hope for it, but it was a short and easy test, and fairly cheap.

Thanks for posting that. When you said at the end that you didn't know if the part numbers were different I went back to the beginning and it sounds like both parts numbers are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a new 2015, Double Cab 4.3 w/Z60 package (2wd & 275/55r20 Continentals). Truck was smooth as silk till 72 to 78 mph & the center console would shake. Not terribly bad, but annoying. Road Force balancing didn't change it, nor did tire rotation. Noticed that as the fuel load would burn off it would be more noticeable. It was more noticeable when the tires were cold, and at times almost gone . Replaced the tires with the same after 55k miles, and no difference. Put (2) 80lb bags of Sacrete  back by the tailgate. Things are better but still there. I'm going to add 2 more. I think it's something with the unsprung weight. I've tried the U bolt deal & it did nothing. Hell, 2 bags of concrete mix are cheap, and if it doesn't help I'll use them eventually. What's your folks experience been with the vibration issue when you have 200 to 300 lbs in the bed?

Side note: Tranny always ran hot. Had the torque converter and pump changed under warranty at 10K. I added a 20K tranny cooler and changed the part orientation in the tranny thermostat & knocked 30 degrees off my transmission temps. 

Bought a new 2015, Double Cab 4.3 w/Z60 package (2wd & 275/55r20 Continentals). Truck was smooth as silk till 72 to 78 mph & the center console would shake. Not terribly bad, but annoying. Road Force balancing didn't change it, nor did tire rotation. Noticed that as the fuel load would burn off it would be more noticeable. It was more noticeable when the tires were cold, and at times almost gone . Replaced the tires with the same after 55k miles, and no difference. Put (2) 80lb bags of Sacrete  back by the tailgate. Things are better but still there. I'm going to add 2 more. I think it's something with the unsprung weight. I've tried the U bolt deal & it did nothing. Hell, 2 bags of concrete mix are cheap, and if it doesn't help I'll use them eventually. What's your folks experience been with the vibration issue when you have 200 to 300 lbs in the bed?

Side note: Tranny always ran hot. Had the torque converter and pump changed under warranty at 10K. I added a 20K tranny cooler and changed the part orientation in the tranny thermostat & knocked 30 degrees off my transmission temps. 

I came to ask the same question. Kinda funny it was the last post. I have tried to keep up with this thread and all the attempted fixes. I’ve thought about keeping weight in the back but I would drive me crazy knowing it’s not fixed. 2014 Sierra 6.2 4x4

What I'd like to know, is if anyone that is experiencing the vibration has noticed it has lessened, been eliminated, or unchanged with weight in the bed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have an opinion or experience where the 17 inch steel wheels are more prone to the vibration problem than aluminum rims ?

I have a 2018 regular cab long bed Work Truck Silverado  ,V6 that has had the vibration issue  since day one with seats and center console when driving above 60 MPH.

The original tires were RFB, 4 new tires were installed, PICO vibration test done  etc on 3 different service visits. On the last service trip they had the truck for 10 days and when I picked it up the Service Manager said they tried rims and tires off a different truck and there was no vibration. When I asked him what the rims and tires were all he said was that they were aluminum rims.

I got the spiel that has been mentioned many times on this forum about this being a known characteristic with this configuration of truck with steel rims,readings within spec etc. He said he would try to see if GM would allow aluminum rims but that he didn't think they would. I never did get a straight answer out of him about exactly what the rim was,whether it was the same size,off a new truck or used truck in their lot etc.

Since that time he hasn't returned my calls so I have talked to GM customer service line 3 times and today I told them that I wanted to return the truck for a refund. I mentioned what the service manager said about aluminum rims and the customer service rep said she would talk to the dealership and also see about trying aluminum rims again.

Not getting my hopes up here about them making aluminum rims available,if GM won't take the truck back next stop will be BBB and state Lemon Law.

What he said about aluminum rims just sounded kinda shady to me because they only drove the truck about 2 miles on the highway and sometimes that's not far enough for the vibration to pop up. Vibration comes and goes and happens more than 50 % of the time.

Just wanted to post and see if others have an opinion about aluminum rims

Truck was purchased in December 2018 and has 1600 miles

bumtruck

Edited by bumtruck
add mileage

On 1/18/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ericruiz911 said:

Update: Finally got the call from GM's repurchasing department and it looks like it is still another two weeks before this is over. I am no longer dealing with the BBB or GM customer service, it is a completely different department that works with the dealership to establish the offer. Just in case anybody was wondering.

For what its worth, I still have not had my 2018 replaced. After choosing a 2019, I waited another 2 weeks for GM to finalize the process and then come to find out that the dealership decided to add a bunch of aftermarket parts to the truck AFTER it was designated for me as a GM repurchase. GM said there was absolutely nothing they can do and they went back to square one. The gentlemen from the GM repurchasing department only handles the contractual end of the repurchase but he was phenomenal, always keeping me in the loop and responding as soon as he could so I have absolutely no complaints. The problem was that I not had to go back to the GM customer service rep who was helping me and neither the gm repurchasing rep, nor myself, were able to get a hold of her for over 2 weeks. I finally had enough and spoke with my attorney. I notified BBB that I had not heard back and legal action was going to be pursued if I had not heard back that week. I decide to call GM and ask the GM customer service rep's supervisor. Low and behold the lady was fired and no longer with GM. There must of been absolutely no process of handing off her accounts after termination because even the people within GM had no idea she was laid off. The supervisor heard me out, promised me a call back within two days, and told me it would be handled. Got a call the next day from the new person managing my case and she was very nice and attentive. By the end of the day, she had arranged all the necessary documentation from the dealership and given me permission to order a vehicle. My ordered vehicle was out of production on 3/11 and it has not shipped yet so it could be another month in the Shakerado but we will see. After this experience, I can tell you for certain that I will never purchase another new GM product. I am not saying that another manufacturer will be better but I can tell you from experience how stressful this entire process has been and it is only because of GM and their team. Just my .02

3 hours ago, bumtruck said:

Anyone have an opinion or experience where the 17 inch steel wheels are more prone to the vibration problem than aluminum rims ?

I have a 2018 regular cab long bed Work Truck Silverado  ,V6 that has had the vibration issue  since day one with seats and center console when driving above 60 MPH.

bumtruck

I have been following this thread for a long time, and from what I remember (you can always go back through all previous 828 pages :-), the problem has been reported pretty much on any and all configurations, all the way from WT up to LTZ to Sierra Denali's. Regular, double and crew cab, 2WD and 4WD, steel wheels and aluminum, low profile tires (20+") and standard profile (17-18"), different trims (high country, etc)

No real rhyme or reason.

Lots of different fix attempts, some things have helped for certain people, some not. What works for some doesn't work for others.

Good luck!

19 hours ago, rpoffen said:

I have been following this thread for a long time, and from what I remember (you can always go back through all previous 828 pages :-), the problem has been reported pretty much on any and all configurations, all the way from WT up to LTZ to Sierra Denali's. Regular, double and crew cab, 2WD and 4WD, steel wheels and aluminum, low profile tires (20+") and standard profile (17-18"), different trims (high country, etc)

No real rhyme or reason.

Lots of different fix attempts, some things have helped for certain people, some not. What works for some doesn't work for others.

Good luck!

OK, I kinda thought that about all cab configurations which would nataurly come with all kinds of rims,wheel sizes etc. I read the first couple pages of this thread and all pages from 800 up to current page.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had time to read through all 800 plus pages of this thread to see what everyone has said but i thought i would give my feed back . 

I have a 2016 sierra elevation WT 5.3 4x4 double cab 5.3 . I started by leveling my truck 2.5" no vibrations had stock wheels 20" with Michelin tires . 

then i put a lift block in the back of my truck 1" taller then factory was a readylift unit again no issues no vibrations . 

Next thing i did to the truck was put bigger tires they were firestone 34" tires that is when i first noticed that it had started driving different . 

Thought it was something to to with pinion angle . so i took the rear blocks out put the factory ones in without any change .. 

Next thing i did was have the tires re-balanced had this done twice with the firestones no such luck . bought some Amp tires made the vibration 100% worse had those 

re-balanced 3 times then finally had them take them back and got new rims xd bully wheels in 20" and 35" toyo open country tires . 

Center console shake almost gone id say 90% . all in all i finally took a look at the rear axles because my vibration was changing depending on the different wheel setups i had tried sure enough the axle flanges are way out of round and are not true as in straight . i am hoping to have my Yukon replacements soon . Also i tried putting air shocks in the rear and adding air pressure to see what would happen vibrations got a lot worse with added psi and  better with less to no psi . 

On 4/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, Kylebr1 said:

I haven't had time to read through all 800 plus pages of this thread to see what everyone has said but i thought i would give my feed back . 

I have a 2016 sierra elevation WT 5.3 4x4 double cab 5.3 . I started by leveling my truck 2.5" no vibrations had stock wheels 20" with Michelin tires . 

then i put a lift block in the back of my truck 1" taller then factory was a readylift unit again no issues no vibrations . 

Next thing i did to the truck was put bigger tires they were firestone 34" tires that is when i first noticed that it had started driving different . 

Thought it was something to to with pinion angle . so i took the rear blocks out put the factory ones in without any change .. 

Next thing i did was have the tires re-balanced had this done twice with the firestones no such luck . bought some Amp tires made the vibration 100% worse had those 

re-balanced 3 times then finally had them take them back and got new rims xd bully wheels in 20" and 35" toyo open country tires . 

Center console shake almost gone id say 90% . all in all i finally took a look at the rear axles because my vibration was changing depending on the different wheel setups i had tried sure enough the axle flanges are way out of round and are not true as in straight . i am hoping to have my Yukon replacements soon . Also i tried putting air shocks in the rear and adding air pressure to see what would happen vibrations got a lot worse with added psi and  better with less to no psi . 

Two or three hundred pages back a poster was convinced that axle run-out was the holy grail of the Chevy Shake and ranted endlessly that was the problem.  So, if you do a search you’ll find plenty of opinions about this.  Just a side note;  I check on the 2019 forum every now and then and have not noticed any comments about “The Shake”.  So, whatever changes GM has made may have solved the problem.  Maybe the place to look for solutions are the changes made to the 2019?  

Got to thinking about this and recalled that American Axle, located in Mexico, was originally the manufacturer for GM light trucks, suv’s, etc.  per attached article in 2017 manufacturing of these axles was moved back in-house and relocated in Detroit area.  Below is an article about it.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2017/01/17/gm-grand-rapids/96680568/