Stabilitrak

• 8 months later...
On 2/28/2019 at 2:38 PM, boilers said:

This is interesting. I had an old 1999 K1500  with this exact same steering position sensor. Basically, the ECU used the sensor, and RPM value to vary your power steering pressure and make turning easier, mainly in low speed applications. At one point, my sensor failed and starting producing erratic signals, and it caused my truck steering to intermittently get super light. In turns it would cause you to "over turn". It really freaked me out the first time it happened.  Some people would completely disconnect this sensor when it failed. However this would cause harder steering in low speed turning applications, because obviously, the power steering pump never knew if you where turning, therefore it would never increase pressure at low RPM, making it harder to turn. Most folks said it didnt make much of a difference.

Anyway, Id assume this sensor is used to lighten up your steering when turning at low speeds. Disconnecting it will disable this feature. Thankfully though, you will not get odd functionality like I did when my sensor was going out. 

I tried pulling my fuse many months ago to disable Stabilitrak and ABS, but my steering was negatively affected. Your description is exactly what I experienced. The messages I got were "Service Stabilitrak" and "Steering Assist is Reduced Drive with Care." Even after replacing the fuse, I still had messed up steering. It was fixed after I cleared all of the codes (and there were lots of them).

I'm wondering if removing the steering position sensor messes up the steering like pulling the fuse did.

And what happens when you plug it back in? Does everything go back to normal? Are there codes to clear? Are the reverse lines in your back-up camera misaligned now?

I can't say I noticed any difference with the steering from unplugging the sensor but I have only done it when there is snow on the ground so maybe the extra assistance at slow speed is less noticeable.

I had the same errors come up but they went away after plugging back in & starting the truck.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk