Moving the Top Speed Limiter

It seems that you are already aware of how the size and ratios of different parts of your driveline affect things, but I just wanted to throw this out there:

You currently have 3.42 gears and OEM 265/65/18 tires.

If you changed to 3.08 gears and larger (taller) tires, then you could achieve higher ground speeds while keeping the driveshaft RPMS down to safer levels. Just a thought. Since this all hinges on what speed (RPM) the driveshaft explodes, I don't think you're going to get an exact number for that. Keeping the RPM's down is critical.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aseibel said:

It seems that you are already aware of how the size and ratios of different parts of your driveline affect things, but I just wanted to throw this out there:

You currently have 3.42 gears and OEM 265/65/18 tires.

If you changed to 3.08 gears and larger (taller) tires, then you could achieve higher ground speeds while keeping the driveshaft RPMS down to safer levels. Just a thought. Since this all hinges on what speed (RPM) the driveshaft explodes, I don't think you're going to get an exact number for that. Keeping the RPM's down is critical.

3.08's would be a solution.  Another .5 inch in tire diameter is another with a 275/65-18...  though not as drastic, but close to the very common 275/55-20 without the added weight of a 20' rim.  Anyone care to elaborate on how much grunt one gives up taking off with the 3.08 vs a 3.42?  I know my fuel economy would noticibly go up.

If anyone can give a good comparison between the drive shafts used in the 5.3 and the 6.2 in the short box crew cab (by all accounts looking at any number of dealerships) trucks...  that would be greatly appreciated.  Other info that would be appreciated:

-Is the driveshaft to the rear different for the 4WD trucks?

-Is the drive shaft in the SSV Silverado different? If so, part #?

-Is the drive shaft different (probably is) in the 134 MPH 2WD Tahoe PPV and is if compatible (because it's probably different) with the Silverado?  Also...  what's the part #?

Just for the hell of it , I ran my 2018 crew cab 4x4 up to 97 mph the other day for a quick burst and it was smooth as silk. Just turned over to 1000 miles.

My wife said "What are you doing"?

I looked over at her and said 

"About 97"? 

Actually though it was hardly even breathing. With no limitations like tires and driveshafts these trucks would probably go 140 mph easy. Wind resistance would be the limiter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Just for the hell of it , I ran my 2018 crew cab 4x4 up to 97 mph the other day for a quick burst and it was smooth as silk. Just turned over to 1000 miles.

My wife said "What are you doing"?

I looked over at her and said 

"About 97"? 

Actually though it was hardly even breathing. With no limitations like tires and driveshafts these trucks would probably go 140 mph easy. Wind resistance would be the limiter.

I'm inclined to agree.  I had a similar moment in our 18' Suburban on our trip west to see family.  However, I was creating distance between myself and a drunk I overtook on 10.  She was doing something for school and asked if we were okay. "Yes babe."  She asked how fast I was going...  (deadpan) "106".  She shrugged and went back to her class.

10 minutes ago, Husker_1911 said:

I am too...  I am waiting on an explanation of the 'law and the social contract" bit with baited breath. 

Don’t be too confused although I still am...Grumpy is a unique individual and sometimes it takes reading a few of his replies to get where he is coming from lol. He has a lot to offer, just takes a decoder at times. I respect his inputs and have learned along the way...still I am officially CONFUSED LOL

Edited by SS502
  • Like 2

Fair enough.  I was like "Is this guy telling me he's never done some hoon $#!t?"  As to progress on the thread...  I think the key to mods that support bumping the limiter up a bit is figuring out how much of the PPV stuff will carry over from the Tahoe to the Silverado.  Off the top of my head...  rear springs are a no-go.  And now I'm hearing Dan Akroyd...  "Cop tires, Cop Shocks, Cop Suspension...'

Edited by Husker_1911
"We're on a mission from God" -Elwood J Blues
  • Haha 1

I'll do it. Law and order. Obey the law. There are parts of the country where speed limits are higher were most people drive. And that's why ain't no people. I guess that's where social contact comes in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:lol:  SS502 is unraveling me :lol:

A speed limit is no different than which side of the road to drive on. Here we've all decided to do so on the right side in this country.

Made a social contract with each other to abide by the rule of law for the sake of safety, promote order over chaos.

Once a law is broken you no longer have order and more importantly you no longer live in a predictable environment. If you break one which one can I count on you to not break? The list gets shorter each year. 

Not talking about OOOPS I looked down and was 5 over. I'm talking about I have a RIGHT to violate this contract while holding every other breathing thing on this planet to it. Case in point? Your child is run over and killed by a speeding driver. How vigorously would you like the law to prosecute the offence? Give them a pass? They have a right to?  Is that contract only in force when damage has been done? When a cop is looking? Even that hardly matters anymore. They are usually right in the middle of the pack.....

Speeding with intent is for the track. The argument that because I have broken the law is your ticket to do likewise is...???????? Well that would give me allot of power wouldn't it?

And Stan gets to it while I type.....He's had a figure on me awhile now :thumbs:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

:lol:  SS502 is unraveling me :lol:

A speed limit is no different than which side of the road to drive on. Here we've all decided to do so on the right side in this country.

Made a social contract with each other to abide by the rule of law for the sake of safety, promote order over chaos.

Once a law is broken you no longer have order and more importantly you no longer live in a predictable environment. If you break one which one can I count on you to not break? The list gets shorter each year. 

Not talking about OOOPS I looked down and was 5 over. I'm talking about I have a RIGHT to violate this contract while holding every other breathing thing on this planet to it. Case in point? Your child is run over and killed by a speeding driver. How vigorously would you like the law to prosecute the offence? Give them a pass? They have a right to?  Is that contract only in force when damage has been done? When a cop is looking? Even that hardly matters anymore. They are usually right in the middle of the pack.....

Speeding with intent is for the track. The argument that because I have broken the law is your ticket to do likewise is...???????? Well that would give me allot of power wouldn't it?

And Stan gets to it while I type.....He's had a figure on me awhile now :thumbs:

See! I told ya ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1