any issues bleeding breaks? i had issues with my master cylinder when i first bought my truck and the dealership had never dealt with the breaks on these new trucks. apparently you have to put a pump on the system to properly bleed these breaks. 

• 5 months later...

I had the dealer install these and they blew out my master cylinder, 3 weeks later they can't get the new one programmed. I'm being told there is a problem on GM's side. Extremely frustrating. I had the truck less than two weeks wen I brought it in for the brake upgrade and some other GMC Accessories

On 7/27/2020 at 10:29 PM, Presley said:

any issues bleeding breaks? i had issues with my master cylinder when i first bought my truck and the dealership had never dealt with the breaks on these new trucks. apparently you have to put a pump on the system to properly bleed these breaks. 

I Installed these on a friends truck.  Gravity bled them one at a time until fluid came out and bled normally with two people.  Don't let the small reservoir go empty and it will be ok.  I didn't have a wheel sensor plugged in all the way and the truck went crazy when we started back up.  It took several restarts to clear the error once the sensor was plugged back in.  

• 1 month later...

Someone said it earlier, OEM is ceramic.  Great for low brake dust, but horrible for stopping power.  I noticed the spongy pedal feel on day one and started to investigate solutions. 

A good semi metallic pad will make all the difference.    Luckily the Brembo pad is a SM and will give you amazing stopping power.  My 1LE was absolutely amazing.  

I would have to STRONGLY disagree.  My OEM brakes are FANTASTIC and have zero fade, creep, or sponge feeling after 25k+ miles.  I think the general consensus on this site and others is that the factory brakes are far superior to anything GM has put out in past trucks and I would have to agree.  Are they comparable to a Corvette?  No.  But they are darn good compared to any other truck I have driven or test drove before purchasing this one.

The Silverado may have 99 problems, but the brakes ain't one.

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2021 at 4:41 PM, Gangly said:

I would have to STRONGLY disagree.  My OEM brakes are FANTASTIC and have zero fade, creep, or sponge feeling after 25k+ miles.  I think the general consensus on this site and others is that the factory brakes are far superior to anything GM has put out in past trucks and I would have to agree.  Are they comparable to a Corvette?  No.  But they are darn good compared to any other truck I have driven or test drove before purchasing this one.

The Silverado may have 99 problems, but the brakes ain't one.

Agree, Love my OEM brakes. Stops on a dime and gives nine cents in change. ?  135K miles and still rock' n. 

• 8 months later...

Have the Brembo brake kit on my 2019 Tahoe and at 48000 km have brake judder when hot occasionally. Trying to rebed the pads to see if it will stop. Was told long highway trips will do this to the brakes.

Edited by levonh
Correct Year

I’d be curious to see some technical data showing distances, temp, etc for braking under various conditions with stock vs the Brembo upgrade. Might even add a 3rd comparable of stock with SM pads. And if one were to get crazy a 4th showing the Wilwood option. 

I don’t have “direct” comparisons. However my 6.2 AT4 feels a little weak to me also. The last personal truck I had was a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed and 3.92’s. Very comparable to the AT4 despite a 7 year gap. Those brakes were better. My last company I worked for gave me a Ford Explorer SLT. Brakes were really good in it. 

I make no qualms or excuses. I tend to drive more aggressive than others but not crazy or unsafe. My driving style didn’t change amongst the last 3 vehicles. My wife’s 2019 Armada is probably worst than the AT4 but it’s due for a brake job. 

Don’t take me wrong, I love my AT4 but I would appreciate a significant brake upgrade. And from my hot rod days anytime Brembo or Wilwood comes up, it’s going to be a big expenditure. I don’t mind to spend the bucks if the performance is really all that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 11:06 AM, 1AT4 said:

I’d be curious to see some technical data showing distances, temp, etc for braking under various conditions with stock vs the Brembo upgrade. Might even add a 3rd comparable of stock with SM pads. And if one were to get crazy a 4th showing the Wilwood option. 

I don’t have “direct” comparisons. However my 6.2 AT4 feels a little weak to me also. The last personal truck I had was a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed and 3.92’s. Very comparable to the AT4 despite a 7 year gap. Those brakes were better. My last company I worked for gave me a Ford Explorer SLT. Brakes were really good in it. 

I make no qualms or excuses. I tend to drive more aggressive than others but not crazy or unsafe. My driving style didn’t change amongst the last 3 vehicles. My wife’s 2019 Armada is probably worst than the AT4 but it’s due for a brake job. 

Don’t take me wrong, I love my AT4 but I would appreciate a significant brake upgrade. And from my hot rod days anytime Brembo or Wilwood comes up, it’s going to be a big expenditure. I don’t mind to spend the bucks if the performance is really all that. 

I had good luck with cryogenically treated rotors from Frozen Rotor and Hawk LT pads, the green ones. It was on an older Honda Ridgeline, which had average brakes. The combo above really improved stopping without any change in size of rotors, etc. They dust more and got a bit noisy after 20K miles but what an improvement in stopping power.

I had 6 piston Brembo calipers and 2-piece rotors of a Challenger Scat Pack. 4 piston in the rear with a 1-piece rotor. Awesome brakes but obviously a very different vehicle but also on 275 tires. Overall, I’m satisfied with the stock brakes on my TB, short travel and good bite - at least at 1700 miles.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well after 10k km the braking is excellent but I'm noticing pad transfer at the middle of the rotor. Not an even shine across the entire face. I'm hoping that the original problem is not returning. Anyone  else have some longer term experiences?