2021 Sierra 1500 3.0L towing without the max trailering package

Hello everyone! I just recently purchased a 2021 Sierra 1500 3.0L which will mainly be used to tow my center console around to local lakes and to Florida a couple times a year. I did NOT get the max trailering package mainly due to a mix up and having to switch trucks because someone purchased the one I went to look at and I didn't notice (yeah). 

My boat is a 24' center console and weights about 2500lbs, plus around 800lbs for the engine, around 800lbs for fuel (105gal tank) and the trailer. My best guess is between 4,500-5,500lbs. When towing to Florida the rear end sagged quit a bit. I picked up some Airlift 5000 air bags and compressor hoping this will resolve the sagging but now I am wondering if it will help at all. We used to tow with a 2018 Tahoe that had the max trailering package so it had air bags on it already. To be completely honest, I do not know exactly what the 9.76" rear axle and 3.42 axle ratio in the max trailering package will help which is what comes in the max trailering package. I know it has heavy-duty rear springs as well which I figure would of helped with this sagging.

Will I be creating problems with the air bags? Obviously I don't really want to trade in the truck already for a new one due to the lost money on having to pay taxes twice, not to mention the loss in value from having 2,000 miles on it already.

20210613_052717.jpg

Given that max tow weight is gross weight, your actual tow weight will be less. By the looks of the photo, the tongue weight may be to high. Doesn't look like the suspension is set up for the load. 

55 minutes ago, Jacob D said:

Hello everyone! I just recently purchased a 2021 Sierra 1500 3.0L which will mainly be used to tow my center console around to local lakes and to Florida a couple times a year. I did NOT get the max trailering package mainly due to a mix up and having to switch trucks because someone purchased the one I went to look at and I didn't notice (yeah). 

My boat is a 24' center console and weights about 2500lbs, plus around 800lbs for the engine, around 800lbs for fuel (105gal tank) and the trailer. My best guess is between 4,500-5,500lbs. When towing to Florida the rear end sagged quit a bit. I picked up some Airlift 5000 air bags and compressor hoping this will resolve the sagging but now I am wondering if it will help at all. We used to tow with a 2018 Tahoe that had the max trailering package so it had air bags on it already. To be completely honest, I do not know exactly what the 9.76" rear axle and 3.42 axle ratio in the max trailering package will help which is what comes in the max trailering package. I know it has heavy-duty rear springs as well which I figure would of helped with this sagging.

Will I be creating problems with the air bags? Obviously I don't really want to trade in the truck already for a new one due to the lost money on having to pay taxes twice, not to mention the loss in value from having 2,000 miles on it already.

20210613_052717.jpg

Get a set of Roadmaster Active Suspension.  I added the HD version to my 2020 3.0L Duramax, and it's great.  

I was towing more weight than thay recently with two different travel trailers.  

You are under the max tow rating certainly so no worries there.  Of course as you add weight to the rear the suspension will compress, it will not remain level.

You could try a weight distribution hitch if needed.

1 hour ago, btj_z71 said:

Get a set of Roadmaster Active Suspension.  I added the HD version to my 2020 3.0L Duramax, and it's great.  

I was towing more weight than thay recently with two different travel trailers.  

You are under the max tow rating certainly so no worries there.  Of course as you add weight to the rear the suspension will compress, it will not remain level.

You could try a weight distribution hitch if needed.

I haven't seen that before. So it looks like it is preventing the leaf springs from compressing as much with that Roadmaster Active Suspension. However, I did already purchase the Airlift 5000 Air Bags and compression before this post. It kind of does the same thing it appears by offloading weight from the leaf springs to the axle I guess.

1 hour ago, Phantom 4D said:

Given that max tow weight is gross weight, your actual tow weight will be less. By the looks of the photo, the tongue weight may be to high. Doesn't look like the suspension is set up for the load. 

Yeah it definitely brought the rear down. I've already purchased this with the compressor and hoping it will work: https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/loadlifter-5000/ I figured the bags were cheaper than trading it in.

3 hours ago, Jacob D said:

20210613_052717.jpg

You can't get NHT max trailer on the 3.0 diesel in the first place.  Only on the 5.3 and 6.2.

Looks like you have too much tongue weight.  Might want to weigh the tongue to see what its at.  

• Like 1

Not an expert on trailers, but looks like the boat trailer may be poorly designed, even downright "fishy".  With the tandem axles located completely "aft" much of the weight of the boat and outboard is probably being directed on the tongue of the trailer so as Phantom and newdude have suggested get that tongue weight. That trailer looks more suitable for a boat with 3 large offshore outboards hanging off of it.

• Like 2

Definitely hit the scales.  Even if it was 15% you're only looking at a tongue of 825 based on your 5500 lb estimate.  IMO Bags in this case are the way to go to completely level up.

• Like 2

NHT         Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR and (KW5) 220-amp alternator

On SLE and3SB version of Elevation  -  Not available with (TRE) stock order types. Available for (SRE) sold order types only. Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Includes (JL1) trailer brake controller.

Not available with 22" LPO wheels or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package. 

On SLT -  When ordered with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine (NHT) is not available with (TRE) stock order types.

Available for (SRE) sold order types only with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine is available for (TRE) stock order types.

Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine and 18" or 20" wheels and tires.

Not available with 22" LPO wheels, or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package. 

NHT is not available on other trims 

Same engine restrictions on the Chev trims that it is available on

6 hours ago, calgator73 said:

Definitely hit the scales.  Even if it was 15% you're only looking at a tongue of 825 based on your 5500 lb estimate.  IMO Bags in this case are the way to go to completely level up.

I recently towed more weight than that with my 2019 GMC Canyon and measured the tongue weight at just 9ver 700# (max on the Canyon is 770).  Before hooking up the weight distribution bars, squat at the rear of then truck was a hair over 2 inches.  The truck in the picture looks to be squating way more than that, leading me to think the tongue weight is way too high.

Personal opinion: things like air bags seem like bandaids to me.  

• Like 1

+1000 on the trailer tongue weight. I tow my boat that weighs ~4K and the sag is minimal. I haven't measured it yet but just eyeballing it looks good.

Your trailer wasn't built properly for your boat. I'll attach the latest picture of my boat/trailer attached to my truck. I doesn't show the truck but you'll see what a properly built trailer looks like.

D65C0CD5-506A-4792-8BB5-48B00FB51C26_1_201_a.heic

15 hours ago, ratman6161 said:

I recently towed more weight than that with my 2019 GMC Canyon and measured the tongue weight at just 9ver 700# (max on the Canyon is 770).  Before hooking up the weight distribution bars, squat at the rear of then truck was a hair over 2 inches.  The truck in the picture looks to be squating way more than that, leading me to think the tongue weight is way too high.

Personal opinion: things like air bags seem like bandaids to me.  

You could be right...but the grass lot he's on doesn't make it slam dunk that he's overloaded to me....just over 2 inches of sag is about right.  It'll be interesting what the scale ticket shows.

7 hours ago, calgator73 said:

You could be right...but the grass lot he's on doesn't make it slam dunk that he's overloaded to me....just over 2 inches of sag is about right.  It'll be interesting what the scale ticket shows.

Very true. The picture could be exaggerating the condition. A tape measure will prove helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 7:45 PM, SVG said:

Very true. The picture could be exaggerating the condition. A tape measure will prove helpful.

The picture was taken with a widescreen shot which could be. It was sagging but the chains still were not touching the ground with the stock configuration. I'll have to hook it back up and measure the distance for y'all. I'm thinking bags will resolve it but as far as the trailer goes, these are all the same kind of trailers I see with these kinds of boats. The axles are in the rear because I assume the majority of the weight is in the rear.

I'll have to see where I can get it weighed because that would be a good thing to know. The specs show dry weight at 2,750lbs, plus the F250 XCA outboard should weight 558lb (plus the rigging), and fuel at 6lbs per gallon would put about 600lbs. That still is on under 4000lbs.

Below is the only other picture I had before I went on the trip. I'll have to get new ones

20210611_140158.jpg

Edited by Jacob D

I had a 2014 z71 and I installed the Firestone air bags, they work great. I tow a car hauler every once in awhile and it felt like it was too much for the 2014 z71 to handle. I added the air bags with just a manual valve stem and the truck towed like a dream.

I just picked up a 2021 3.0 RST and will be adding the airbags to this truck as well.