I'd like to hear what the shop says.

I ended up taking it to the dealership first to see what they said. I showed them the video I made of the axle deflection and they said the axles were trash. Then I pointed out the window to the 2015 Silverado sitting out there which I also explained that they just had in there for the same issue 2 weeks prior, and suddenly their attitude changed. Trying to tell me I must have bent the axles haha. I explained that I would have blown out the tires and folded my rims before the axles would have bent. So right now they are doing some investigating and on the side the service writer explained to me that its been very difficult to get GM to pay for these issues so he has to get a lot of information first so it doesn't come out of their pocket.

Interesting theory on the axles, but my 14's vibration is at random. Drove it 8 hours out of town the other week, vibrated like crazy when passing cars. Drove it this week to show a co-worker the vibration at 110-140km/h, no vibration can be felt... There goes all of my theories to what may cause this, tires or driveshaft. My 2015 doesn't shake ever, but the work truck 2014 I just bought does it for a week, stops for a week, starts again, stops again.

Edited by L86 All Terrain

Is it just the outside of the axle that is out of round? Could it be turned down on a lathe?

If you could rig up your own tool post and some lathe tools and just let the truck run about 15 to 20 mph Id say you pretty much have a self powered lathe and could correct the out of roundness yourself without pulling the axle. Of course do this at your own risk.

Now what I am seeing from the videos and from the general response of the posts in this topic is that road force balancing does reduce the problem if not "fixes" the problem temporarily and here is what I think...

If you have that much extra mass of weight on your axle flange then at that same degree outward to the tire tread is going to be "heavier" when it rolls around to the pavement. Ultimately creating a "flat spot" in your tire. Road force balancing can balance the flat spot out. With a rotation that tire is at a different corner and magically its gone, for now... Back to the excess weight of the axle flange and it will slowly start to wear out that tire again.

And for the people who have the problem at random... It could be possible that both axle flanges are out of round. That being said when you take a turn on the rear axle the inside wheel is turning less then the outside wheel which could be canceling out the vibration because the axles are close to 180 degrees apart.

And of course there may be my original theory of the locker could be malfunctioning at higher speeds causing power to both left and right sides intermediately creating a pulsing.

Sorry I'm not the best with words but hopefully my point is coming across to you. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by rhino68
  • Like 2

Very nice, Ive had this feeling about the axles since the day it started. I have also had my 2 piece drive shaft straightened and balanced. Haven't got it up to 70 yet but I will provide my feedback when I do. Around town it feels different. I sometimes had a vibration under hard acceleration and braking but it seems to not exist anymore. Hoping for the best!

UPDATE... Drove about 100 miles today on the highway with the shaft aligned and balance and it is different. There is still a vibration but not as bad as it was. I'd say 50% is gone. While I was under the truck re-installing the driveshaft I noticed that the yoke at the output shaft on the transmission seems to have some play in it. Enough to make it move noticeably. Hard to say that is the cause though. If you get under your truck just push up on this yoke at the trans and see if yours does it.

UPDATE... Drove about 100 miles today on the highway with the shaft aligned and balance and it is different. There is still a vibration but not as bad as it was. I'd say 50% is gone. While I was under the truck re-installing the driveshaft I noticed that the yoke at the output shaft on the transmission seems to have some play in it. Enough to make it move noticeably. Hard to say that is the cause though. If you get under your truck just push up on this yoke at the trans and see if yours does it.

I'll check it tomorrow morning and get back to you.

drove the Silverado to town the other day and on a new blacktop road , noticed a rumble like driving on a gravel road the truck has never did this before and this was not the first time on this road !! Took the interstate home at 70 MPH and everything fine . Will have to look to see when the warranty expires , only GM could screw up a good truck

• Like 1

I'd like to get others opinions on the rear axel flanges (2017 Sierra). The dealership thinks that this wouldn't cause vibrations..

I'm no engineer, but to me that sounds like BS. If you have more steel/weight in one area of a round object.. shouldn't that cause a heavy spot, resulting in vibrations?

Great videos! This is EXACTLY what I'm seeing with my truck. It had 3 miles on it when I bought it and I have never run it over a curb or hit anything with it so it must have been delivered like that. I cannot imagine that this wouldn't cause some kind of vibration and eventually more wear on the wheel bearing and brake caliper. Dealership says they won't replace my axle shaft or rear end. So are you thinking about replacing the axle shaft on your dime?

I plan on elevating this issue up, the only problem is trying to find a POC higher than the dealership service manager. I honestly feel it will fall on deaf ears and nothing will come out of it.

To answer your question yes, when I have an extra 400-500 bucks I will get some Yukon axels.

You are correct, replacing the axels isn't a difficult job, it the princible of having to change them. I'm not sure if I would go with another GM part, as they might have the same issue.

Im really thinking of just going for it and having a shop change my axles. Has anyone done this yet?

If i get bored one day I might just remove my rear shocks completely and take it up to 70 and see if it starts hoping. That might be hard due to there not being any long smooth stretches of road around me but It would tell me the out of round axle flange or something in the rear end is causing it... right?

Im really thinking of just going for it and having a shop change my axles. Has anyone done this yet?

Is there any way you can set something up to see if your bolt pattern is following the hub flange? I am curious to see if the bolt pattern is offset as well.

Update

After taking my truck in Monday and showing them the out of round axles, I just got a call from the dealership who to my surprise completely agree with me that they are poorly manufactured and are installing new ones as well as bearings. I should have my truck back today. Just a little amazed that i got absolutely no push back at all. Hopefully it fixes my issues.

• Like 4

Update

After taking my truck in Monday and showing them the out of round axles, I just got a call from the dealership who to my surprise completely agree with me that they are poorly manufactured and are installing new ones as well as bearings. I should have my truck back today. Just a little amazed that i got absolutely no push back at all. Hopefully it fixes my issues.

Blast it up to 90mph and let us know! thanks......

• Like 1