I'd like to get others opinions on the rear axel flanges (2017 Sierra). The dealership thinks that this wouldn't cause vibrations..

I'm no engineer, but to me that sounds like BS. If you have more steel/weight in one area of a round object.. shouldn't that cause a heavy spot, resulting in vibrations?

Great videos! This is EXACTLY what I'm seeing with my truck. It had 3 miles on it when I bought it and I have never run it over a curb or hit anything with it so it must have been delivered like that. I cannot imagine that this wouldn't cause some kind of vibration and eventually more wear on the wheel bearing and brake caliper. Dealership says they won't replace my axle shaft or rear end. So are you thinking about replacing the axle shaft on your dime?

Edited by Sir Dan

Great videos! This is EXACTLY what I'm seeing with my truck. It had 3 miles on it when I bought it and I have never run it over a curb or hit anything with it so it must have been delivered like that. I cannot imagine that this wouldn't cause some kind of vibration and eventually more wear on the wheel bearing and brake caliper. Dealership says they won't replace my axle shaft or rear end. So are you thinking about replacing the axle shaft on your dime?

I plan on elevating this issue up, the only problem is trying to find a POC higher than the dealership service manager. I honestly feel it will fall on deaf ears and nothing will come out of it.

To answer your question yes, when I have an extra 400-500 bucks I will get some Yukon axels.

Edited by UrbanRage

Gmparts Direct has a replacement shaft for $240. After watching a few videos, it doesn't look too hard to do. Just sucks since it's a new truck.

You are correct, replacing the axels isn't a difficult job, it the princible of having to change them. I'm not sure if I would go with another GM part, as they might have the same issue.

• Like 1

I plan on elevating this issue up, the only problem is trying to find a POC higher than the dealership service manager. I honestly feel it will fall on deaf ears and nothing will come out of it.

To answer your question yes, when I have an extra 400-500 bucks I will get some Yukon axels.

Google GM corporate. Fumble around and you will find a POC eventually. Did this with Badyear on a tire. Good luck

Very nice, Ive had this feeling about the axles since the day it started. I have also had my 2 piece drive shaft straightened and balanced. Haven't got it up to 70 yet but I will provide my feedback when I do. Around town it feels different. I sometimes had a vibration under hard acceleration and braking but it seems to not exist anymore. Hoping for the best!

• Like 1

Is it just the outside of the axle that is out of round? Could it be turned down on a lathe?

I'm sure a lathe would do the trick.

Edited by UrbanRage
  • Like 1

So my YouTube series about this problem is wrapped up for now. They balanced the tires (again) and after one test drive it still had some vibration so I had asked that they run the Pico Scope. Two days later with no additional repairs being made, we did a test drive with the Pick Scope and the vibration magically was gone. So I have my truck back now but I am sure it will start vibrating again. I will pick up the YouTube series when it comes back. Its only a matter of time. You can watch the 4 episodes here:

Let us know if they have a fix for the radio reception issues. Thanks

The radio reception was not fixed. I was told by the dealer that there is no update to fix the reception problem. I said so i just have to live with a partially functioning radio? They said to call GM Corporate on the radio and vibration issue. So I did...

After several calls, being placed on hold etc. I was told by GM that there is no fix for either issue and was offered $250 GM accessories credit for my troubles. I am at a crossroads, my truck will be paid off at the end of the year. I want to upgrade to a 2500 Diesel preferably a Denali but after all this I am questioning myself on going back to a GM product. I have never drove anything but GM but the Dodge or Ford don't excite me at all.

or I just suck it up and drive what I have for a while to enjoy not having a payment.

So my YouTube series about this problem is wrapped up for now. They balanced the tires (again) and after one test drive it still had some vibration so I had asked that they run the Pico Scope. Two days later with no additional repairs being made, we did a test drive with the Pick Scope and the vibration magically was gone. So I have my truck back now but I am sure it will start vibrating again. I will pick up the YouTube series when it comes back. Its only a matter of time. You can watch the 4 episodes here:

I've watched your videos and I will say that the vibration you are (were) experiencing is substantially worse that what I'm experiencing. I would compare the vibration I'm feeling to the loaner vehicle in the 2nd video.

Keep fighting the fight! Good luck man!

After seeing all these lates posts I put my truck on jack stands, disassembled my rear and and spun the rear end. To my surprise my rear axel hubs are about 1/4" out of round and deflect in and out a strong 1/8". My concern with taking it to the dealership is wasting time and money arguing with them to fix it. I know with the amount of issues stacking up on these trucks the dealerships push back pretty hard for the simple fact that GM is refusing to reimburse them on the poor quality parts without "safety" issues.

I want to just take it to a reputable shop to have repaired but my fear is with having so many miles driven on the truck in this condition there are going to be more issues inside the rear end due to the axles ripping it apart.

The radio reception was not fixed. I was told by the dealer that there is no update to fix the reception problem. I said so i just have to live with a partially functioning radio? They said to call GM Corporate on the radio and vibration issue. So I did...

After several calls, being placed on hold etc. I was told by GM that there is no fix for either issue and was offered $250 GM accessories credit for my troubles. I am at a crossroads, my truck will be paid off at the end of the year. I want to upgrade to a 2500 Diesel preferably a Denali but after all this I am questioning myself on going back to a GM product. I have never drove anything but GM but the Dodge or Ford don't excite me at all.

or I just suck it up and drive what I have for a while to enjoy not having a payment.

Thanks for the reply. GM gave me XM for a year on both trucks. It's about over but I thought there would be a fix by now. My vibs only happens on the crew cab truck on certain road conditions . Was worse before I installed a leer cap.

After seeing all these lates posts I put my truck on jack stands, disassembled my rear and and spun the rear end. To my surprise my rear axel hubs are about 1/4" out of round and deflect in and out a strong 1/8". My concern with taking it to the dealership is wasting time and money arguing with them to fix it. I know with the amount of issues stacking up on these trucks the dealerships push back pretty hard for the simple fact that GM is refusing to reimburse them on the poor quality parts without "safety" issues.

I want to just take it to a reputable shop to have repaired but my fear is with having so many miles driven on the truck in this condition there are going to be more issues inside the rear end due to the axles ripping it apart.

I'd like to hear what the shop says.