GM has never done any testing like this....

Your kidding right? What you have there son is an absolute "JOKE" it's a shame FERD made it and now they are trying to deny it's JOKE.

Please do yourself a favor and go buy you one, I insist!

For everyone:

W&L is considering a consumer class action lawsuit against General Motors (GM) to hold the carmaker responsible for an as-yet unidentified problem causing some 2015 full-size trucks and SUVs to dangerously vibrate when driven at highway speed.

W&L believes the problem stems from a design or manufacturing defect, or both.

Any lawsuit pursued by the firm will likely seek an order on behalf of harmed motorists compelling GM to repair or replace the defective vehicles at the company’s expense.

The vehicles reported to be experiencing dangerous vibrations are 2015 models of:

• Chevy Tahoe
  • Chevy Suburban
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • GMC Yukon

So its official. GM told me this vibration is within spec. They also told me that I wasnt allowed to share that information on YouTube. I dont know what part of this is more infuriating but I dont see how or why they would want to silence me if they were right and I had no arguement.

Discovered something interesting yeasterday, For people that have a Crerw Cab try going down the road at 60MPH and only roll down your back passenger window, it gives the worst buffeting sound ever and starts to shake the truck side to side just like when the truck starts shaking with the windows up, i really think that in a lot of cases the people that have the shake on and off that its something to do with the way air is flowing over and around the truck, any change in the flow makes it start shaking. This is just what ive noticed with my truck. I can also watch my roll up cover in my rear view mirror and see the flapping of the cover goes with the shaking of the truck when it is doing it.

So its official. GM told me this vibration is within spec. They also told me that I wasnt allowed to share that information on YouTube. I dont know what part of this is more infuriating but I dont see how or why they would want to silence me if they were right and I had no arguement.

Don't stop what you're doing. The time you have spent documenting and creating these videos is going to help everyone out more than you think. Its all about creating exposure to the problem. I can understand whole heartedly your frustration and how angry you get when they tell you it is within spec and all that BS but if you quit, they win. I went through the picoscope process where they mounted it to the rear seat, did one drive and said everything was within spec. Then I drove with the shop manager and he said he definitely felt it, then after a day and them contacting GM I was again told to come pick it up and its within spec. Right now I am dealing with a different dealership who is more willing to help when I show them proof of the issues mechanically. I would suggest to everyone to mount the GoPro underneath the vehicle and try to catch the drive train bouncing around or something to that effect to where they cannot deny it being an issue.

Have you ask the question.. What specs? Are they just using the picoscope?

Have you ask the question.. What specs? Are they just using the picoscope?

They are saying that the problem isn't a problem according to GM's tolerances. In other words, your problem not our problem because we think the vibrations are normal.

I am just so jealous of the guy that swapped the axles to yukon and hasn't had any vibration for a couple thousand miles now. Must be amazing!

Edited by rhino68

So its official. GM told me this vibration is within spec. They also told me that I wasnt allowed to share that information on YouTube.

As long as you are not violating a GM warranty or lease agreement, GM can only "request" you not post info to You Tube. Now if GM wants to work out a deal with you for a new truck, they can add in "not allowed" with the deal. Until that time though, keep doing what you’re doing, GM may agree to quiet you. Someone else on this forum posts that he is “not allowed” to talk about the issue anymore, but he also got a new truck.

• Like 1

They are saying that the problem isn't a problem according to GM's tolerances. In other words, your problem not our problem because we think the vibrations are normal.

I understand what you are saying but, it goes back to basic Quality Assurance. What specs dose GM use to say, yes the axel flange are allowed this much deflection before it is thrown away and melted down? I have posted videos of my axel flanges and their obviously out-of-round and I do believe that is the cause of my slight vibration. Once I have the extra cash, I will purchase new axels (Not GM) and see what happens. anyway....I would be curios to see what dmetz's axel flanges look like.

I understand what you are saying but, it goes back to basic Quality Assurance. What specs dose GM use to say, yes the axel flange are allowed this much deflection before it is thrown away and melted down? I have posted videos of my axel flanges and their obviously out-of-round and I do believe that is the cause of my slight vibration. Once I have the extra cash, I will purchase new axels (Not GM) and see what happens. anyway....I would be curios to see what dmetz's axel flanges look like.

All I know is that they gave me the "within spec" speech too. I called bullshit and look forward to when this vibrating headache gets traded in.
  • Like 1

All I know is that they gave me the "within spec" speech too. I called bullshit and look forward to when this vibrating headache gets traded in.

GM definitely has the upper hand here. They can design to whatever tolerances and performance outcome they want, with three exceptions; first, safety standards are dictated by local laws in the various countries they sell vehicles in. These will force certain design requirements and resulting safety related performance. Second, any non-specific safety related performance to keep them out of court/jail. And third, performance outcomes that benefit them in the marketplace, against their competition, to help sell vehicles. Other than that, they are more or less free to define whatever standard they want.

That said, defining ridiculously high acceptable vibration limits would certainly be questionable from a professional practice point of view. The engineers that develop these specs are typically bound by some kind of professional engineering practice standards to ensure they are acting responsibly and not just serving their master! At least, that's how engineering laws are in Canada. It would be very interesting to challenge GM specs via a complaint to the Engineering board that governs the engineers that defined it. One could review industry specs as well as what other companies use for specs as a basis of comparison. Of course, we would need to know who specified the levels within GM, which jurisdiction he or she is working in, and then file the complaint. So, somewhat an acedemic discussion as we could never find that information out, but fundamentally a valid aspect. I guess the complaint could go against GM themselves..... hmmm. That might get their attention!

As long as you are not violating a GM warranty or lease agreement, GM can only "request" you not post info to You Tube. Now if GM wants to work out a deal with you for a new truck, they can add in "not allowed" with the deal. Until that time though, keep doing what you’re doing, GM may agree to quiet you. Someone else on this forum posts that he is “not allowed” to talk about the issue anymore, but he also got a new truck.

Who could that have been? :dunno:

GM definitely has the upper hand here. They can design to whatever tolerances and performance outcome they want, with three exceptions; first, safety standards are dictated by local laws in the various countries they sell vehicles in. These will force certain design requirements and resulting safety related performance. Second, any non-specific safety related performance to keep them out of court/jail. And third, performance outcomes that benefit them in the marketplace, against their competition, to help sell vehicles. Other than that, they are more or less free to define whatever standard they want.

That said, defining ridiculously high acceptable vibration limits would certainly be questionable from a professional practice point of view. The engineers that develop these specs are typically bound by some kind of professional engineering practice standards to ensure they are acting responsibly and not just serving their master! At least, that's how engineering laws are in Canada. It would be very interesting to challenge GM specs via a complaint to the Engineering board that governs the engineers that defined it. One could review industry specs as well as what other companies use for specs as a basis of comparison. Of course, we would need to know who specified the levels within GM, which jurisdiction he or she is working in, and then file the complaint. So, somewhat an acedemic discussion as we could never find that information out, but fundamentally a valid aspect. I guess the complaint could go against GM themselves..... hmmm. That might get their attention!

I'm a Mechanical Engineer... Here is the ASME code of ethics.

https://www.asme.org/getmedia/3cd4a989-d024-47cd-93b7-74cf6b257977/Student-Design-Competition-Engineering-Code-of-Ethics.aspx

ASME requires ethical practice by each of its members and has adopted the following Code of Ethics of Engineers as referenced in the ASME Constitution, Article C2.1.1.

CODE OF ETHICS OF ENGINEERS

The Fundamental Principles

Engineers uphold and advance the integrity, honor and dignity of the engineering profession by:

I. using their knowledge and skill for the enhancement of human welfare;

II. being honest and impartial, and serving with fidelity their clients (including their employers) and the public; and

III. striving to increase the competence and prestige of the engineering profession.

The Fundamental Canons

1. Engineers shall hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public in the performance of their professional duties.

2. Engineers shall perform services only in the areas of their competence; they shall build their professional reputation on the merit of their services and shall not compete unfairly with others.

3. Engineers shall continue their professional development throughout their careers and shall provide opportunities for the professional and ethical development of those engineers under their supervision.

4. Engineers shall act in professional matters for each employer or client as faithful agents or trustees, and shall avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance of conflicts of interest.

5. Engineers shall respect the proprietary information and intellectual property rights of others, including charitable organizations and professional societies in the engineering field.

6. Engineers shall associate only with reputable persons or organizations. 2 P-15.7 11/05/06

7. Engineers shall issue public statements only in an objective and truthful manner and shall avoid any conduct which brings discredit upon the profession.

8. Engineers shall consider environmental impact and sustainable development in the performance of their professional duties.

9. Engineers shall not seek ethical sanction against another engineer unless there is good reason to do so under the relevant codes, policies and procedures governing that engineer’s ethical conduct.

10. Engineers who are members of the Society shall endeavor to abide by the Constitution, By-Laws and Policies of the Society, and they shall disclose knowledge of any matter involving another member’s alleged violation of this Code of Ethics or the Society’s Conflicts of Interest Policy in a prompt, complete and truthful manner to the chair of the Committee on Ethical Standards and Review.

Has anyone checked or replaced motor mounts? I am in the process of filming more angles of my driveline and have noticed an exceptional amount of movement in the motor and trans as well as a vibrating movement at cruising speeds.

Picked up a new 17 Silverado and now at approx 1600 miles and I have noticed on the freeway there's a loose feeling from the rear end. Best way I can describe it is like a bounce or jerky side to side as if you were on a boat. It's really strange