Hey guys, so I've read back a ways and apologize if this has been covered in previous posts. But, I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab and am getting the shakes in the 70-80 range. I only have 6k miles on the truck, but have a level and aftermarket rims and tires. My shake isn't terrible but it's enough to rattle around the ice and water in a yeti type cup and make noise. My questions is, with the aftermarket parts I have on the truck, should the dealership be giving me issues with warranty work related to the shake? I'd be willing to pay them to balance, etc if we can then cross it off the list of potential causes, but just wanna be prepared for what I'm gonna be up against. The shake was happening before any aftermarket parts but unfortunately I don't have any evidence of that. If someone has personal experience, feel free to message me, I'm sure this has been covered in the 700+ pages but couldn't find anything in the reading I've done. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most dealers will make you remove everything and put the truck back to stock before they will touch it a few have gone through the process which ultimately blames the tires and they go through countless number of tires finding the right ones to "fix it" that never do. Even if they are willing to work on it with the aftermarket stuff, if it gets to the point where they need to bring in a "GM field engineer" (which I believe is a very loose use of the word engineer) guaranteed he will point at the parts and say there's your issue and wash GM's hands of the problem. Save your money and go to a tire shop with a hunter road force balance machine and have them vector match the tires to the wheels to get the numbers as low as possible. If it still vibrates after that which will probably be the case it's likely not the tires.

• Like 2

Most dealers will make you remove everything and put the truck back to stock before they will touch it a few have gone through the process which ultimately blames the tires and they go through countless number of tires finding the right ones to "fix it" that never do. Even if they are willing to work on it with the aftermarket stuff, if it gets to the point where they need to bring in a "GM field engineer" (which I believe is a very loose use of the word engineer) guaranteed he will point at the parts and say there's your issue and wash GM's hands of the problem. Save your money and go to a tire shop with a hunter road force balance machine and have them vector match the tires to the wheels to get the numbers as low as possible. If it still vibrates after that which will probably be the case it's likely not the tires.

Yea I figured that would be the case, luckily the shake isn't too terrible and I don't do a ton of highway driving. Still sucks a $47k truck rattles around like that. Thank you for the response, I'll start checking around the local shops for that road force balance machine and see if I can reduce the issue if nothing else. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copy that, thank you, I have another set of half shafts I disassembled myself.

A lot of people in here with the vibration have 2 wheel drive like myself so the issue couldn't be 4wd related as far as I know?

• Like 1

A lot of people in here with the vibration have 2 wheel drive like myself so the issue couldn't be 4wd related as far as I know?

I agree but with the amount of poorly manufactured parts and issues I have found on the truck so far, whos to say the front diff isn't a pile of junk as well? I have read on other posts that guys have had the front diff replaced solving their problems. As well as other people having transmissions replaced and so forth.

Discovered something interesting yeasterday, For people that have a Crerw Cab try going down the road at 60MPH and only roll down your back passenger window, it gives the worst buffeting sound ever and starts to shake the truck side to side just like when the truck starts shaking with the windows up, i really think that in a lot of cases the people that have the shake on and off that its something to do with the way air is flowing over and around the truck, any change in the flow makes it start shaking. This is just what ive noticed with my truck. I can also watch my roll up cover in my rear view mirror and see the flapping of the cover goes with the shaking of the truck when it is doing it.

Could be on to something. My 2015 has no vibrations, the pocket rocket 2014 I bought used a few months back has the front air dam removed. Anyone else remove the dam and experiencing vibrations, or anyone with the front air dam installed and still vibrating harder than a 1000lb plate packer? if I hit 80mph I am scared the truck is going to come apart, I had my friend follow me and he said he can literally see the truck shaking like crazy. The rear tires are even starting to wear funny because of it, which will only amplify the vibrations.

​Well people this is farml1234 , the site will not let me log in as such !! Today I traded off my 2015 Silverado crewcab 4x4 , tire were getting down with maybe 10,000 left on them if you would not go threw a safety check , with safty check maybe 5000 more ,,,, miles on truck about 35500 !!!! Have never had a GM truck go threw tires like this one [ maybe it was the brand of tire ]] To say I'm peed is a understatement , one day could not ride any better and the next [ my term JUNK ] What I think of General Motors I can not put in print !!

​ ! So bye bye GM I will never again buy ANY thing from you ,hey GM do not call me as I will really tell you what I think

Well, my lawsuit has been finalized, truck returned, payment received and cleared. This chapter is over for me. I don't know WTF has gone wrong at GM, but it is definitely not the company it once was. I will not be buying another new GM truck.. ever. Further, I will be relaying my experience at each opportunity I get.

I'll be checking back on this thread after the milestone number of pages, 800, 900, 1000+. Maybe one day they'll figure out it is some sort of aerodynamic problem or some other super-odd crap and make these pickups worth driving again.

Good luck!

- Duck out.

• Like 3

i have a slight vibration and taking my front spoiler off didn't make it any worse or better.

Could be on to something. My 2015 has no vibrations, the pocket rocket 2014 I bought used a few months back has the front air dam removed. Anyone else remove the dam and experiencing vibrations, or anyone with the front air dam installed and still vibrating harder than a 1000lb plate packer? if I hit 80mph I am scared the truck is going to come apart, I had my friend follow me and he said he can literally see the truck shaking like crazy. The rear tires are even starting to wear funny because of it, which will only amplify the vibrations.

In case anyone wants more information regarding the PICO scope and how it works and its readings and what they mean, below are links to 2 videos posted by the professor at Weber State University Auto tech department. Videos are a little long but very well put together, Someone nearby WSU in Utah with a vibration problem in one of these POS K2XX should drop off their truck and ask him to use it as a teaching opportunity since GM doesn't want to solve the problem.

I'm so frustrated with the vibration (now 57,000 miles worth of vibrating) but I can't find a good solution... Looked at a ZR2 today but... hmmmmm

I can't believe we haven't figured this out yet!

It's not for the consumer to figure out. Going on 3 years solid and not much hope in sight. Trade out when it makes sense financially.

I'm so frustrated with the vibration (now 57,000 miles worth of vibrating) but I can't find a good solution... Looked at a ZR2 today but... hmmmmm

I can't believe we haven't figured this out yet!

Haven't been here much lately. Anyways, I have about 11,000 miles on my '16 Silverado and like most here, paid big bucks for a vibrator. When I was truck shopping last year I looked at the Colorado as an option but there wasn't much price difference between that and the Silverado, so I bought the Viberado. What a mistake ): I've been thinking about trading my current truck in on a GMC Canyon, but I know I'll take it in the azz on a trade deal. Fuk you GM.........

• Like 1

Just wanted to add my experience to the list. I had a 2014 Silverado 1500 with vibrations issues, after 2 years and new tires they were mostly gone. I thought it was a fluke, and at the end of the day having to buy new tires for a leased truck with 20k miles.... sucked. I replaced it with a 2016, which ended up having much more significant vibration. If I had seen this thread I would never have leased another, but I didn't. I live in an area with horrible roads, so can't really test for vibration without driving about 30 miles to find a smooth stretch of interstate. In the past, I never owned a vehicle that couldn't be balanced.

So here's my story.

I'm in Florida, and have the wheels road force balanced at Discount Tire after my first shaky trip from Michigan, did not work. Truck has been shaking since day 1.

Back in Michigan, ask dealer for a road force balance, they do a spin balance and charge me for it. Does not work, and I call them and tell me so.

200 miles later, I'm back at the dealer and they do a road force balance, and charge me AGAIN. I call them on it, and they credit me for the spin balance. Does not work.

I contact GM corporate, and they have me bring the truck back in, spend a week with it, and tell me that 2 of my tires are bad and have to be replaced and that one of my wheels has a "flat spot" that somehow is my fault, and they offer to sell me 2 tires and a wheel for about $1000. I decline, feeling that since the problem has been there since new, it should be their responsibility, and also fearing that it won't help.

After this unsuccessful episode, I contact GM again by email and get no response.

So I have given up, and will live with the shaking for the remaining 2 years, 22k miles on the lease, turn the truck in, and will not buy another GM product again.

Disappointed.