2 minutes ago, Obscenejesster said:

I think I'm done with half tons. I don't need a truck for towing or hauling so I'm going to look at the 2019 Ranger or 2019 Tacoma.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Honestly curious, why not the Colorado? I looked at them a bit but they seemed anemic and just not as good all-around as the full-sizes so I passed.

Honestly curious, why not the Colorado? I looked at them a bit but they seemed anemic and just not as good all-around as the full-sizes so I passed.
I've always been a Ford/Toyota guy but in my opinion, the Silverado is the best looking half ton on the road. I like them a lot. I'll probably look at the Colorado as well but the new Ranger is really peaking my interest. Especially if they put a 3.5 turbo in it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dope said:

It's cool, it's not like there's really other options out there. The Dodges are junk and well, I'd probably be kicked out of my family if I drove a Ford. My last silverado lasted 17 years and 185k miles before the tranny went, so taking care of a little vibration isn't really a big deal to me. It's honestly not even that bad but I'd like it to be as good as it can be.

I agree with the fact that dodges are junk. Its more of a lottery than them being consistently bad. Chrysler has notoriously bad quality control, so you stand a much higher chance of getting a lemon. They are a little better since Fiat bought them out. You have to wonder how bad things were over at Chrysler if the general consensus is that Fiat actually improved on the situation.

Ford are nice, but right now it feels like buying a prototype. All this aluminum and eco-boost stuff. Ford isn't afraid to try new things, and kudos to them for it. The industry wouldn't advance if someone wasn't pushing for change. I'm just not partial to being a guinea pig at $50k out of pocket.

Your family sounds like mine (although mine are pro-ford). I'm the black sheep who bought a GMC. Brand loyalty is one hell of a drug, but it's also the hallmark of consumer ignorance. Brands come and go, as do the people representing those brands. Businesses and products change over time. They get bought out and renamed and repurchased. There has never been a brand anywhere of anything that deserved "loyalty" from its consumer. You need to do research each and every time you make a purchase and look at the product past the label.

I bought the GMC thinking it was the best product for me at the time, for reasons stated above. It was close though. After finding this thread, I likely would have tipped over to an F150 and taken my chances with the new tech.

Anyway. 4000km on my 2017 and still no highway shake. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, Colossus said:

No.  The Michies SUCK for longevity. 

Interesting not talking Knobby or extra aggressive tires here....But tires in General I have yet to meet anybody really who has told me Michelins dont' get give you the quality and longevity over other tires.........I have always been amazed at the tire qualities of Michelins compared to others....

Consumer Reports has put tires to the test. And while some tires don't always last as long as promised - one manufacturer is a standout.

When you buy tires, don't just look at the price you pay - look at the tread life to see how long they'll last.

Manufacturers claim anywhere from 30,000 to 100,000 miles. But Consumer Reports tests of 47 tires finds that some don't always last as long as promised.

When you shop for tires, you may be swayed by the tread-wear claims.

But like many people, Paul Niedermeyer finds his tires don't last that long.

"The tread-wear warranty would suggest they would last 80 thousand miles and typically might just last 40 or 45," said Niedermeyer.

Consumer Reports tested the tread life of 47 tires - two samples of each.

A convoy of trucks drove each tire 16,000 miles. The tread was measured at regular intervals to project how long the tires will last.

"Tire life does depend on the vehicle and proper maintenance. It also makes a difference how and where you drive. But our mileage projections are a good way to compare tread wear," said Mark Rechtin, Consumer Reports car editor.

Some tire mileage claims proved overly optimistic, although they're tread life is still quite good.

The Kumho's warranty is 75,000 miles. Consumer Reports projects 55,000.

The Continental brand says 90,000, but Consumer Reports projects 60,000.

Far worse is the Nokian tire. Its warranty is 80,000 miles, but Consumer Reports projects just 35,000.

However, some tires last much longer.

"Michelin was a standout. The three models we tested all met or exceeded their mileage warranty and came in with a projected tread life of 80,000 miles or more," said Rechtin.

The longest lasting tires in Consumer Reports' tests are the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus. They claim 90,000 miles, and Consumer Reports estimates they'll go 100,000.

Consumer Reports says don't expect to get all your money back if your tires wear out before the mileage warranty.

You'll only get a credit for the miles that the tire didn't last. And it's only good toward the retail price or dealer's retail price for an identical or comparable tire from the same manufacturer.

Discounts, which are common, could leave that credit worthless.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 8:29 PM, Obscenejesster said:

That's just the thing. You can't buy a single full size truck at this moment without known issues. They all have their issues. Ford, GM, Dodge and Toyota. It just depends on what issue you want to deal with. Personally, I think the Silverado is the best looking half ton on the road. It's interior is also of higher quality than any of the other manufacturers.

That being said, the shocks being bad are what caused my vibrations. I had two inches of play in one on the front and one on the rear. The only good shock was the one on my passenger side rear. The other front one had 1 inch of play.

Don't ask me how shocks can go bad at 24k miles but they did. Either that or they were defective from the factory.

The way I figured out it was the shocks was the fact that the truck actually road smooth when it was cold and for the first 5 minutes of driving. As soon as the fluid inside the shocks warmed up a little, it thinned out and they stopped doing their job. When I say they picked up every minor perfection in the road, I mean every single small bump and crack was felt. The shocks actually weren't doing anything at all on small bumps and cracks. The springs and frame would just eat up everything.

I don't trust dealer mechanics so I took it to a local guy (old school mechanic). After waiting for 15 minutes, he brought me one of my rear shocks and told me to push on it. It literally had no friction for the first 2 inches. I could compress it an entire 2 inches with my pinky finger. I said... "Is it supposed to do that?"... He looked at me and just laughed. He told me since the truck was still under warranty, I could take it to the dealership and they'd replace at least 3 of them or I could just pay him $400 and he'd put some real shocks on there.

I felt the same way at 1k. My rear shocks where bad. Didn’t want to deal with trips to  dealer. I replaced em with bilsteins and felt great for about 10k and vibes came back. This is separate issue from 70 mph shakes I presently have with currentyires.  Now using rancho adjustables. 

Just a thought.

as tires age on our trucks there might be some legal tread left but the radials wear out inside the tire and hence vibes and shakes that can occur. Like my sra’s At 20k would make the truck shake and no balancing would help. So buying new tires would make the shake lessen then after so many more miles down the road the truck will start shaking again cause of internal tire wear.  

Edited by Gofas

I felt the same way at 1k. My rear shocks where bad. Didn’t want to deal with trips to  dealer. I replaced em with bilsteins and felt great for about 10k and vibes came back. This is separate issue from 70 mph shakes I presently have with currentyires.  Now using rancho adjustables. 
What shocks do you like better? The Bildsteins the Rancho adjustable?

they are different in feel. Bilstein is firm and sporty I liked better with loads and towing. Ranchos better for helping  hide vibes more caddie ride that hoped for when buying one of these full size trucks. Rancho adjustable on stiff settings I not get sport feel like bilstiens, just harsh.   Sorry no straight answer here.  Best set-up I thought was bilstein on front and ranchos adjustables on back! Merry Christmas.    I did not intend on making all these changes with my truck, on a quest for a better ride.

7 minutes ago, Obscenejesster said:

So, if I don't tow or haul anything, you'd recommend the Rancho in the rear and Bildsteins in the front?

I'd recommend KYB MonoMax shocks for the rear. Bilsteins for the front. Especially if you're not planning to haul anything. IMO the KYBs are better engineered for the rear of a pick up. Loaded or unloaded.

• Like 1

Just a thought from personal expierance.

as tires age on our trucks there might be some legal tread left but the radials wear out inside the tire and hence vibes and shakes that can occur. Like my sra’s At 20k would make the truck shake and no balancing would help. So buying new tires with road force balance less than 20 would make the shake less for awhile. 

43 minutes ago, lylknutsak said:

I'd recommend KYB MonoMax shocks for the rear. Bilsteins for the front. Especially if you're not planning to haul anything. IMO the KYBs are better engineered for the rear of a pick up. Loaded or unloaded.

Go with

bilsteins. You will be impressed with the handling hauling or not.

On 12/22/2017 at 10:03 AM, Loco-diablo said:

I own a 2017 1500 LT Z71 DC. It has no shake thus far at 11k miles. I have several friends with late model trucks, I’d say 1/2 of them say they shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, with the help and patience of a very dedicated service and sales department my vibrations are gone. The culprits were tires. Goodyear was very happy to help as well as the GM dealership. It cost me hours of time and purchasing tires and staying firm until all of the tires were within the -15 lbs road force balance perimeter as drawn out in the tsb .

The hunter balancer has the upper limit at 24lbs but that is too much . It

makes the tire not only noisey but also vibrate.    The tsb for vibration sets 15lbs as the upper limit . 

Ask for the readout of the road force balance before and after tires are adjusted for the best possible result. If the dealer  has the latest and greatest Hunter balancer it will provide the print out. 

Hang firm and you too may end up with a smooth ride and now have to keep an eye on your speed because you no longer have the stuff in your console jumping all around over 64mph. 

• Like 1

Well, with the help and patience of a very dedicated service and sales department my vibrations are gone. The culprits were tires. Goodyear was very happy to help as well as the GM dealership. It cost me hours of time and purchasing tires and staying firm until all of the tires were within the -15 lbs road force balance perimeter as drawn out in the tsb .

The hunter balancer has the upper limit at 24lbs but that is too much . It
makes the tire not only noisey but also vibrate.    The tsb for vibration sets 15lbs as the upper limit . 

Ask for the readout of the road force balance before and after tires are adjusted for the best possible result. If the dealer  has the latest and greatest Hunter balancer it will provide the print out. 

Hang firm and you too may end up with a smooth ride and now have to keep an eye on your speed because you no longer have the stuff in your console jumping all around over 64mph. 

That’s good to hear! What model/size tires did you end up with?