17 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Enough of the bantering back and forth.  If your truck is perfect great no need to stir the pot and provide no input to the relevant topic.  There are people having issues.  There is also no need to go back and forth with people providing no input.  As they say "nothing to see here move along"  

Consider yourselves warned!  Keep it up and you (anyone attacking another person) will receive a vacation from the site.  

Geez, where did you come from?  I want our old Admin back.  He was a lot more fun.  Lighten up and let boys be boys, let'em wrestle in the mud a little.  After all, after 782 pages of circular discussions ain't nothing gonna get solved anyway.  Hell, the new platform will be out in less than a year and this sub-forum will be pretty much dead anyway ?...

• Like 1

Troubleshooting these issues fall under the power train warranty?  

Im at 35k and I’m about to go through the process. Think my 15’s power train goes to 100k. Or should I get lil more bumper bumper?

Shake at 70,80.  Had vibes since 1k. Shakes last 10k or so. 

Dealers super nice so far and has balanced tires.  now replacing them all with another set off another truck on the dealer lot.  

3 hours ago, Snoringbear said:

Geez, where did you come from?  I want our old Admin back.  He was a lot more fun.  Lighten up and let boys be boys, let'em wrestle in the mud a little.  After all, after 782 pages of circular discussions ain't nothing gonna get solved anyway.  Hell, the new platform will be out in less than a year and this sub-forum will be pretty much dead anyway ?...

Been here since 1999.  We are all adults here we dont need to act like little kids, this is why Gm-Trucks.com is the best gm truck forum on the net.  

• Like 1

So...Back to the issue at hand.  I've been battling the 70+ mph shakes and so far I have:

• Replaced all 4 tires with Michelin LTX AT2 after many road force balances of stock tires. $900
  • Replaced rear axle u-bolts with heavier ones and torqued to spec.  $75
  • Replaced left rear axle shaft due to excessive lateral runout.  $300
  • Replaced all four shocks with bilstein 4600.   $375

So I've spent nearly $1700 to fix the horrible ride on this brand new truck now with only 12,000 miles on it.  While all these items did help the shaking somewhat, the last item on the list by far helped the most.  Not sure if it was the front or rear shocks that were bad but suspect the rears.  The ride is MUCH improved now and almost as good as my last truck ('08 Sierra).

• Like 1

So...Back to the issue at hand.  I've been battling the 70+ mph shakes and so far I have:
  • Replaced all 4 tires with Michelin LTX AT2 after many road force balances of stock tires. $900
  • Replaced rear axle u-bolts with heavier ones and torqued to spec.  $75
  • Replaced left rear axle shaft due to excessive lateral runout.  $300
  • Replaced all four shocks with bilstein 4600.   $375
So I've spent nearly $1700 to fix the horrible ride on this brand new truck now with only 12,000 miles on it.  While all these items did help the shaking somewhat, the last item on the list by far helped the most.  Not sure if it was the front or rear shocks that were bad but suspect the rears.  The ride is MUCH improved now and almost as good as my last truck ('08 Sierra).
From what I've read, it has been the shocks in many people's case.

I found out that my driver side rear shock had 2 inches of travel before it even started working and my passenger side rear had 1 inch of travel. My mechanic told me that what was happening was that slight imperfections in the road were being eaten up by the frame rather than through the shocks which mimics a vibration. He said one imperfection at high speeds could have a lasting effect for a few seconds and then all of the small imperfections along the highway just keep stacking up on each other.

I'm about to replace all 4 shocks. As I've said in previous posts, I don't think I have a vibration issue. I can just feel every small imperfection in the road. It could be a crack in the road and I'd feel it through my seat.

On the other hand, I have seen people post videos of true vibration issues. They'd have a bottle of water in the center cup holders and the water would be going crazy on a smooth road. Mine doesn't do this which also makes me believe that my shocks are shot to hell. Also, small bumps slam the hell out of my front shocks to the point of my windows rattling. I know this isn't normal.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Obscenejesster said:

From what I've read, it has been the shocks in many people's case.

I found out that my driver side rear shock had 2 inches of travel before it even started working and my passenger side rear had 1 inch of travel. My mechanic told me that what was happening was that slight imperfections in the road were being eaten up by the frame rather than through the shocks which mimics a vibration. He said one imperfection at high speeds could have a lasting effect for a few seconds and then all of the small imperfections along the highway just keep stacking up on each other.

I'm about to replace all 4 shocks. As I've said in previous posts, I don't think I have a vibration issue. I can just feel every small imperfection in the road. It could be a crack in the road and I'd feel it through my seat.

On the other hand, I have seen people post videos of true vibration issues. They'd have a bottle of water in the center cup holders and the water would be going crazy on a smooth road. Mine doesn't do this which also makes me believe that my shocks are shot to hell. Also, small bumps slam the hell out of my front shocks to the point of my windows rattling. I know this isn't normal.

I’ve replaced shocks early on with 4600’s. Now trying rancho adjustables.   The best was when I still had 4600’s on front and rancho on back.  Now it jus seems to change   How it shakes. Doesn’t eliminate it. So finally I’m bugging the dealer about it.

I’ve replaced shocks early on with 4600’s. Now trying rancho adjustables.   The best was when I still had 4600’s on front and rancho on back.  Now it jus seems to change   How it shakes. Doesn’t eliminate it. So finally I’m bugging the dealer about it.
Sounds like shocks aren't going to fix your shake issue. If you have the shakes then I would suspect lateral runout at one of your hubs.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:50 PM, Baytrucker said:

I don't have the shake in my 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab, but I'm only at 3500km. Its brand new. I came to the forum for another issue, and it sucks to find a 700+ page thread about a problem GM can't seem to get their head around. I'm really worried about all of the people who say their problem started at 65k or so. 

I'm not a mechanic, but I work in a field that require a lot of troubleshooting, and one thing I've learned is that the most difficult problems to solve are the ones that have multiple causes. It really screws with classic trail and error stratagem.

Reading this thread, I feel its a problem that is inherent to design. I don't think GM can't figure it out; I think GM HAS figured it out and they know it is a major design factor that cannot be easily changed. I suspect, like others have said, it is related to resonance frequency being close to standard road vibrations. Normally it would be fine, but if anything is off at all (tires, wheels, shaft, steering column, etc) then the resulting vibrations will be amplified by the frame. It is possible that the components of this vehicle may not even be up to the specification that GM intended. Google Kobe Steel.

GM is hot off the heels of a major defect scandal with their ignitions. They can't afford another one. They are terrified of bad optics, which is why Barra has been on the interview trail spewing out PR marketing speak about integrity and accountability. Its crap, but the fact that she has to that when Ford and Dodge are comparatively quiet is telling.

My choice was between the GM 1500 and the F150. I ruled out Dodge ages ago. I will never own a Chrysler product due to reputedly poor QA (its a defect lottery). It was a close call, but the GM won out with better looks, better price, smoother ride (on the test drive) and infotainment system. I was under the notion that the F150 was the higher risk because of all of the new technology they are putting into it (EcoBoost, aluminum, etc). GM was closer to a proven design, or so I thought.

If I had found this thread earlier, then I would have likely bought the Ford.

I agree, GM knows what the cause is, or causes are.  I'm quite sure GM has a small army of engineers in their employ, as well as outsiders who have the answer/s.  The only reason not to address/fix the shake is because it's a major and expensive fix.  Hard to believe but they seem to be getting away with not making it right for the vehicles and or owners affected.  Long live GM aka Government Motors.

I agree, GM knows what the cause is, or causes are.  I'm quite sure GM has a small army of engineers in their employ, as well as outsiders who have the answer/s.  The only reason not to address/fix the shake is because it's a major and expensive fix.  Hard to believe but they seem to be getting away with not making it right for the vehicles and or owners affected.  Long live GM aka Government Motors.

I agree that they know the cause, but I don’t think they’ll be doing any voluntary recalls as it will cost them 10’s if not 100’s of millions at least. This is why affected owners need to collaborate on class action suits to force GM to what’s right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK..Had mine to 3 dealers (2 Chev and a GMC) and still not fixed.  Best answers are can't duplicate, with-in specs, or nothing noted.

Just curious...has anyone tried putting their truck on a dynamometer and watching or filming the shake/vibration issues?

Think I will try it.

• Like 1

I'm in a brand new 2017 Silverado Double Cab 2WD 5.3L Texas Edition for a loaner since Friday. It also vibrates at highway speeds. Not as bad as my single cab, but still enough to be noticeable.

The crew cab I had as a loaner twice before had no vibrations at all. Was also a 2WD. Friend of mine has a 4x4 double cab. No vibz either. Just wanted to share that info.

On 12/15/2017 at 3:58 PM, kthomas72 said:

By any chance is there a way you can post what it is they looked at and did to your truck after you get it back? I'm curious to see considering that you found a dealership who actually admits knowledge to the issues.

I'll keep updating as I find out info. I know there are service bulletins for exhaust dampeners, leaf spring bushings, transmission programming, and just re-torquing everything from the transmission mount on back.   They ordered a bunch of parts for my truck so I assume they're at least trying to get it fixed. They're making changes and then driving the truck around to see if they can isolate the problem. I've also let them know of issues I've read of on here. Specifically the shocks, axles, and ring gears being out of spec.

38 minutes ago, lylknutsak said:

I'll keep updating as I find out info. I know there are service bulletins for exhaust dampeners, leaf spring bushings, transmission programming, and just re-torquing everything from the transmission mount on back.   They ordered a bunch of parts for my truck so I assume they're at least trying to get it fixed. They're making changes and then driving the truck around to see if they can isolate the problem. I've also let them know of issues I've read of on here. Specifically the shocks, axles, and ring gears being out of spec.

Good looking out. Do you know the TSB # by chance?

2 hours ago, lylknutsak said:

Might want to have them check to see if the driveshaft is true. In researching this issue I keep stumbling over  a few threads on this forum and others of people who completely corrected their shake by replacing the driveshaft. Some were found to have a significant and noticeable  curve when they pulled it out.

Apparently this series of trucks uses a model of driveshaft known to have defects.

• Like 1