10 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

That’s good to hear! What model/size tires did you end up with?

Yes, I am delighted. It's reallly a long story but I will keep it short and to the point. 

My initial problem was the truck road harsh, vibrated and came with eagle LS2 tires 20". I bit the bullet and put first Michelin Premier LTX tires on it. The truck was smooth as silk with no vibrations up to 90mph and probably above but I didn't push the speed limit any further.  I wasn't satisfied with the harshness over bumps and read a review on the truck on line in a magazine and they said the truck was a much less harsh ride with 18" wheels. I think it was a truck and driver magazine. 

I talked the factory and the dealership into putting 18" wheels on the truck and opted for the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A since they came on a coworkers truck and his road extremely smooth. 

After installing the Goodyear tires the harshness was reduced and  now I had a vibration from 64mph up. They road force balanced when they installed and again after 1000 miles. This did not get rid of the vibration. I called Goodyear and they authorized replacing all 4 tires.  This  helped but I still had a vibration at 73 mph up. One tire was road force balanced and they could not bring the number down below 19lbs road force. This was acceptable according the the guidelines of the Hunter ($20,000) wheel balancer but a service bulletin for vibration for these trucks had the limit at 15lbs. I called Goodyear again and they agreed to replace the one tire. It balanced out at 6lbs. and now the truck is vibration free. 

The Michelin Premier LTX were not available in the 18" size otherwise I would have gone with them again. 

I will say though, these Goodyear SR-A are very quiet, nice handling in wet and snow and do soften the bumps a bit. 

I hope this helps some of you looking for the anwer to the vibrations. I really believe most of it is the tires since the sidewalls have shortened and gotten stiffer which messes with the roundness. Make sure to insist on getting the roadforce numbers when having them balanced that way. 

Have a Merry Christmas!

On 12/21/2017 at 10:29 PM, Obscenejesster said:

That's just the thing. You can't buy a single full size truck at this moment without known issues. They all have their issues. Ford, GM, Dodge and Toyota. It just depends on what issue you want to deal with. Personally, I think the Silverado is the best looking half ton on the road. It's interior is also of higher quality than any of the other manufacturers.

That being said, the shocks being bad are what caused my vibrations. I had two inches of play in one on the front and one on the rear. The only good shock was the one on my passenger side rear. The other front one had 1 inch of play.

Don't ask me how shocks can go bad at 24k miles but they did. Either that or they were defective from the factory.

The way I figured out it was the shocks was the fact that the truck actually road smooth when it was cold and for the first 5 minutes of driving. As soon as the fluid inside the shocks warmed up a little, it thinned out and they stopped doing their job. When I say they picked up every minor perfection in the road, I mean every single small bump and crack was felt. The shocks actually weren't doing anything at all on small bumps and cracks. The springs and frame would just eat up everything.

I don't trust dealer mechanics so I took it to a local guy (old school mechanic). After waiting for 15 minutes, he brought me one of my rear shocks and told me to push on it. It literally had no friction for the first 2 inches. I could compress it an entire 2 inches with my pinky finger. I said... "Is it supposed to do that?"... He looked at me and just laughed. He told me since the truck was still under warranty, I could take it to the dealership and they'd replace at least 3 of them or I could just pay him $400 and he'd put some real shocks on there.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Well, you almost got that first sentence right.  You can buy a truck with no known issues and that truck is the Tundra.  I've worked with alot of manufacturers and only Mazda and Toyota want their parts returned to them, so they can see what went wrong.  Gm Ford Ram send you the same faulty brand new part, they don't care about what went wrong, they address some and I mean some of the problems in new generations.  With Ram it's the TIPM that have not been addressed since 2007 the TIPM controls the entire truck and that always goes out if you own the truck for an extended amount of time you will have problems.  With Ford it's alot off different things and GM the same.

You are wrong.  The Tundra has issues with vibrations, going into 4x4 on it's own, rear diff issues, ball joints..  Need I go on?  Go spend some time around Tundra Talk and what not.  They aint perfect either.  The owners of the trucks get the run around from Crapota too. 

You are wrong.  The Tundra has issues with vibrations, going into 4x4 on it's own, rear diff issues, ball joints..  Need I go on?  Go spend some time around Tundra Talk and what not.  They aint perfect either.  The owners of the trucks get the run around from Crapota too. 
Yup. My father has a '17 and it's been back to the dealer twice already. Once for a leaking rear and once for hard shifting. He also told me that his truck only has 10k miles on it and it's already burning oil. He's not happy one bit with Toyota considering they bought back his '16 Tacoma because it had so many transmission issues.

12 hours ago, Colossus said:

Im apart of all 4 forums, Im not wrong, you are.  Those trucks dont have a fraction of the problems this gm generation does.  They don't have ball joint or rear diff issues i worked at a dealership for Toyota and my best friend is a manager at one we talk alot.  You must have that all mixed up with the Titan

10 hours ago, Obscenejesster said:

Yup. My father has a '17 and it's been back to the dealer twice already. Once for a leaking rear and once for hard shifting. He also told me that his truck only has 10k miles on it and it's already burning oil. He's not happy one bit with Toyota considering they bought back his '16 Tacoma because it had so many transmission issues.

trannys on the new generation tacomas aren't good thats true but the tundras its solid.  Also don't see the 5.7l burning oil often unfortunate for him

trannys on the new generation tacomas aren't good thats true but the tundras its solid.  Also don't see the 5.7l burning oil often unfortunate for him
Do you know anything about the issue I spoke about last night.

We were going to get Chinese food for Christmas Eve and the entire truck would shake while in reverse. It would also shake when lighty tapping the gas cruising along in 3rd gear or so. It felt like a torque converter issue.

3 hours ago, Obscenejesster said:

Do you know anything about the issue I spoke about last night.

We were going to get Chinese food for Christmas Eve and the entire truck would shake while in reverse. It would also shake when lighty tapping the gas cruising along in 3rd gear or so. It felt like a torque converter issue.

torque converter issue is what we've seen on some, changing the fluid in the front diff also helped.  Tire balance and front alignment fixed some of the vibes I've seen.  The fact it shakes in reverse is very very odd, take both covers off the diffs and see if the gears are in perfect condition and dont have broken pieces

17 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Im apart of all 4 forums, Im not wrong, you are.  Those trucks dont have a fraction of the problems this gm generation does.  They don't have ball joint or rear diff issues i worked at a dealership for Toyota and my best friend is a manager at one we talk alot.  You must have that all mixed up with the Titan

You are obviously not a part of any of those forums.  My gosh man open your eyes.  Do you need me to post links for you?  Shudder, ball joints, diff, you name it.  They have their share of shitty engineering.  Go back and learn how to read. 

5 minutes ago, Colossus said:

You are obviously not a part of any of those forums.  My gosh man open your eyes.  Do you need me to post links for you?  Shudder, ball joints, diff, you name it.  They have their share of shitty engineering.  Go back and learn how to read. 

**** you, you ignorant troll you have trolled this site for years and not once have you contributed a ****in thing.  Dumb moron you can learn to read

On 12/25/2017 at 12:01 AM, Pinnacle said:

Im apart of all 4 forums, Im not wrong, you are.  Those trucks dont have a fraction of the problems this gm generation does.  They don't have ball joint or rear diff issues i worked at a dealership for Toyota and my best friend is a manager at one we talk a lot.  You must have that all mixed up with the Titan

Highlighted in bold....this is the only way to really know who has the best product or atleast giving you the best chance of getting a good truck. And after buying a RAM I can tell you that you that I agree with your statement. 

17 minutes ago, Newm said:

Highlighted in bold....this is the only way to really know who has the best product or atleast giving you the best chance of getting a good truck. And after buying a RAM I can tell you that you that I agree with your statement. 

Well, it's not only that I worked for all 4 as well, in a dealership environment.  That's much different then what goes on on the forums and internet, but I know all 4 Brands well, GM, RAM, FORD and TOYOTA.

Well, it's not only that I worked for all 4 as well, in a dealership environment.  That's much different then what goes on on the forums and internet, but I know all 4 Brands well, GM, RAM, FORD and TOYOTA.
Dealer mechanics are terrible. I don't care what manufacturer it is. These new age dealer mechanics can't fix or diagnose a damn thing without a computer telling them what's wrong. I'd rather go pay a local old school mechanic rather than get my vehicle fixed under warranty from the dealer.

• Like 1