Well, if someone who might be inclined to do so;  could import the 789 pages into Excel or Access and do some analysis it would be interesting for sure.  It’s my guess that it may have already been done by maybe GM or someone who’s employed by the owners of this forum.  I think the first piece of data that would pop up is the old 80/20 rule applies.  That being that 80% of the posts are made by 20% of the posters ?...

So I'm a first time poster on here. Been aware of this chevy shake but just now really got the itch to get a new truck so I went out for a test drive. Hit the Chevy dealer first. 2018 CC LT Z71 with a leather interior. 10 miles on it. Transmission was clunky in the parking lot but smooth out on the road. Got it up to 70-75 mph on the highway and.....there's the vibration. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't as bad as the stuff out on youtube but it was definitely there. I was looking all over for imperfections in the road but it was smooth. It was a huge disappointment. I love the interior and the look of these trucks but I would feel like I'm gambling $40k hoping I don't get the shakes if I bought one. It's really turned me off from Chevy/GM. I had a Cruze diesel before and before I unloaded it I was making monthly trips to the dealer. They gave me a Silverado as a loaner once and I fell in love with it but after this most recent experience I am leaning more towards the F150 with the 5.0 (no ecoboost for me)

6 hours ago, ajgebhardt said:

So I'm a first time poster on here. Been aware of this chevy shake but just now really got the itch to get a new truck so I went out for a test drive. Hit the Chevy dealer first. 2018 CC LT Z71 with a leather interior. 10 miles on it. Transmission was clunky in the parking lot but smooth out on the road. Got it up to 70-75 mph on the highway and.....there's the vibration. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't as bad as the stuff out on youtube but it was definitely there. I was looking all over for imperfections in the road but it was smooth. It was a huge disappointment. I love the interior and the look of these trucks but I would feel like I'm gambling $40k hoping I don't get the shakes if I bought one. It's really turned me off from Chevy/GM. I had a Cruze diesel before and before I unloaded it I was making monthly trips to the dealer. They gave me a Silverado as a loaner once and I fell in love with it but after this most recent experience I am leaning more towards the F150 with the 5.0 (no ecoboost for me)

The F150 is a wise move The following features are available on the F150, but not available on the GM twins:

1) DOHC, 4 valve/cylinder engines

2) Adaptive Cruise Control

3) Blind Spot Monitors

4) 360 degree camera view

5) Rear HVAC vents

6) Keyless ignition

7) Trailer backup assist

8) Aluminum bodies

9) Console shifter

The EcoBoost engines have been thoroughly tested, unlike the 5.3L AFM. This video is lengthy, but worth the time:

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 5:10 PM, Takeda said:

The F150 is a wise move The following features are available on the F150, but not available on the GM twins:

1) DOHC, 4 valve/cylinder engines

2) Adaptive Cruise Control

3) Blind Spot Monitors

4) 360 degree camera view

5) Rear HVAC vents

6) Keyless ignition

7) Trailer backup assist

8) Aluminum bodies

9) Console shifter

10)   10 speed transmission    (added 3/12/18)

On 3/7/2018 at 5:10 PM, Takeda said:

The EcoBoost engines have been thoroughly tested, unlike the 5.3L AFM. This video is lengthy, but worth the time:

Added one more feature not available on GM twins

On 2/28/2018 at 6:42 PM, Bill Reinhardt said:

EDIT: Just got off the phone with my local GMC dealership service center. Stated that shaking at speeds in excess of 75+ mph has been found to be the nature of the fully boxed frame unloaded. He told me he drives a 2015 Sierra 1500 with the same symptoms and searched high and low for a solution when he first got the truck. Found out that placing weight in the back resolves the issue. Has anyone tried this?

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

2014 Sierra 1500 5.3L 4x4 3.42 w/ 49,500 miles

Jeeze. Just got my truck a few weeks ago and noticed the shake at speeds in excess of 75mph. 

Lots of pages on this topic, lots of reading!

So far, the only solutions I can find are:

• Driveshaft balance
  • Spring clamps
  • New shocks (Rear only? Seems to only cover the actual problem)
  • Torque converter (seems to apply to the 8-speed only)

I may be missing a few others, but I would love some sort of sticky that summarizes the solutions that have worked, and which engine/transmission/axle combinations it works for. Feel free to PM me your year, engine, drive train, transmission, and axle because I wouldn't mind compiling this info for everyone.

Almost at 800 pages of information here, there must be a solution.

I have had shake @ 75+ since new and was given the run around about it during my first free oil change and at the 2nd free oil change as well as the 3rd and final. They never even tried for me. I have since installed Toyo tires with balance beads and different wheels. I have a Halo adj. coilover set at 2". Kit came with rear shocks included. The shake is still there with shock and tire changes. I had an alignment when the tires went on and again when the shocks did. I did however speak to someone that mentioned the weight in back of the truck. Said something about "Nervous Chassis" and that may be the issue. I did try out his theory and it did actually help a little. I put 4) 70 lb. sand tubes up against back of cab in bed. Your trying for center of truck and it's this or the back of your cab, you choose lol. I ran like this for a week to avoid placebo effect. I think it is possible it masked the issue, but it did feel like it helped a bit never the less. A truck always runs smoother with a load and in this case it helps a little with the shakes. I needed the room for camping so out came the tubes and since it is rare to catch me going over 65 mph, I left them out. I run a 10 ply and lower the psi to 38-40 to absorb road chatter around town 45 mph and under. Once on the highway this soft tire will distort and cause some good shaking so check air pressure no matter the tire your running to be sure your not causing some shake on top of your shake. Simple I know, but you would be surprised by how many will look at more complicated reasons before the simple things lol. I would like to say I had the answer, but I saw that about weight in bed so I had to say I have heard it too and it helped a little in my case. It's unreasonable to be expected to do this for a smooth ride in a $40k truck even if it solved it completely.    2014 5.3 1500 6 sp 4x4

I have a 14 Sierra Denali 4wd 5.3. I also have the intermediate shake at 70+ but I have learned what makes the truck shake. I can get on the interstate and run 70 75 80 as smooth as silk but as soon as I go into a turn at those speeds the truck starts it’s shaking and then the shake will work it self out when I drop to lower speeds and then I can reach 70+ again and sometimes the shake is still there and sometimes it isn’t but if I turn my wheel again to go into a turn the shake starts back up and I have duplicated this over twenty times, it never fails.

16 minutes ago, battleofone said:

I have a 14 Sierra Denali 4wd 5.3. I also have the intermediate shake at 70+ but I have learned what makes the truck shake. I can get on the interstate and run 70 75 80 as smooth as silk but as soon as I go into a turn at those speeds the truck starts it’s shaking and then the shake will work it self out when I drop to lower speeds and then I can reach 70+ again and sometimes the shake is still there and sometimes it isn’t but if I turn my wheel again to go into a turn the shake starts back up and I have duplicated this over twenty times, it never fails.

I had the same experience last summer on my 17 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Highcountry.  In the old days if tires were slightly out of balance successive turns could cause the shimmy to come and go.  Same is true today.  It is hard to find sufficiently smooth roads in MT to experiment especially in winter.  Mine has had 6 Michelins road forced balanced and still vibrates.  It sits in my woodshop all winter hoping for a buy back or enhanced trade in.  The notion that weight in the rear helps is one I agree with or at least added load reduces the sensation.

Mine did not vibrate the few times I hit 70mph pulling a 4500lb camping trailer last summer.  I usually keep it to 65 when towing.

Edited by blue_bullet

On 3/13/2018 at 7:04 PM, battleofone said:

" but I have learned what makes the truck shake."

So, what makes it shake?  You're telling us when it happens, not why.

Edited by steelcity

So I bought the truck about almost two years ago. With 42k miles. Right off the bat I noticed a vibration I took it back whitin a week and I let the problem go.

the vibration is still there. I took my truck back last week to Coral Springs GMC they changed the engine mounts and it still vibrates just as bad they did not even washed my truck when they were done!

GM is doing nothing to fix this problem. I am so fed up with their BS. On top of that I took my truck to Delray GMC because the transmission is also slipping. The service manager Bob tried to rip me off. He recognized the issue with the tranny and told me he would fix it under warranty, however I would have to pay for a transmission flush. I told GM about how he tried to extortion me. GM did nothing about this. 

I bought a lemon and there is absolutely nothing I can do. I know the shaking is not going away and on top of that, this service manager lied through his teeth and he wrote in  the notes that my transmission fluid was black and is not covered by warranty. This is ridiculous.

My next step is filing a claim with the BBB for breach of warranty contract and contacting a lawyer.

Stay away from these trucks they are an expensive POS!

Edited by Esteban Parodi
Mispelling

So has anyone put their "shaker" trucks on a dynomometer, run up to the vibration speeds (75-80+),

and taken a video?  A picture (or in this case a video) could be worth a 1000 words to the

non-believer GM service managers.  I haven't found one yet in my area but still looking.

A video could be shared with all of us for proof.

Also with 1 month left on my 36 month bumper-bumper warranty I'll be S-O-L soon.

Quite interesting about the Feb. sales report with Ford increasing and Chevy/GMC dropping

way off...Just maybe this shaking/vibration issue is getting buyer's attention. 

Close the Mexican assembly plants.  Cheap labor=a cheap product.

Listen up GM!

IMO

Taking into account the money available to GM, if they wanted to fix this problem they would have done it by now.

This is a problem that is rare so they go with the flow.

:)