So got new tires and back to the ol' balance and road force thing. Destination AT from the Goodforoneyears. Well the light hit just right and saw this. Is this just cord overlap? I've never hit anything, and doesn't look like normal pinch bulge.... Suggestions,? Thanks. 1208170802.thumb.jpg.685577cb829ffcfb7b153e377c843d9f.jpg

7 minutes ago, taps929 said:

So got new tires and back to the ol' balance and road force thing. Destination AT from the Goodforoneyears. Well the light hit just right and saw this. Is this just cord overlap? I've never hit anything, and doesn't look like normal pinch bulge.... Suggestions,? Thanks. 1208170802.thumb.jpg.685577cb829ffcfb7b153e377c843d9f.jpg

Buy Michelins because they cost more but are simply a way better tire...You will get your money back after driving 10K longer too? 

1 hour ago, taps929 said:

It's pretty common to see that in a tire. IMO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Buy Michelins because they cost more but are simply a way better tire...You will get your money back after driving 10K longer too? 

No.  The Michies SUCK for longevity. 

• Confused 1

Notes and Update on my shaking truck.

Dealer road forced my Mikey Thompson’s. Dealer has new gm certified  machine.

so tech says 41# road force on three tires.

And we test drive. Still shaking

Then they put on tires from another truck of the lot and the ride is much smoother.  I still feel the shake but it’s very very minimal.  Someone else

driving the truck would probably not notice it. 

I’ll buy my next tires from the dealer and make sure they road balance out properly.  Truck is very sensitive to any imperfection in the tires.  Will try going back to an all season tire and hope it stays smooth.

So im selling some mickey Thompson’s cheap!!!

o btw, the tires from the dealer lot truck where Michelin’s 

tech says if we get Gm involved I’ll have to put on stock shocks and remove shell again and use stock tires. Tech was awesome and knowledgeable.

Edited by Gofas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Traded in my 2000 Silverado on a 2018. Double cab, LT Z71, 4WD, optional 20" wheels (5 star) with goodyear SR-As. It vibrates on the highway, starting around 50mph and peaking around 70-75 I'd say. I have been reading this thread but after realizing it is nearly 800 pages does anyone have a link to a wiki or an FAQ or some sort of summary on the issue? I'm seeing possibly tires, driveshaft, frame, shocks, etc.. I have an appointment on Tuesday to bring it in and I'd like to be as informed as possible. I already have a set of Duratracs to put on it, and they will be road-force balanced (have an excellent shop available). I'm going to wait since I don't want the dealership pointing to the new tires (which are not on the truck yet) as a possible culprit.

Many thanks in advance!

Dope

Edit: just noticed that this is my first post, even though I've been a member since 2009!

Edited by Dope

3 minutes ago, Colossus said:

no offense my friend, but you have been a member since 2009 and you still went and got yourself one of these vibrators?  :(   I hope they can get it figured out for ya. 

It's cool, it's not like there's really other options out there. The Dodges are junk and well, I'd probably be kicked out of my family if I drove a Ford. My last silverado lasted 17 years and 185k miles before the tranny went, so taking care of a little vibration isn't really a big deal to me. It's honestly not even that bad but I'd like it to be as good as it can be.

It's cool, it's not like there's really other options out there. The Dodges are junk and well, I'd probably be kicked out of my family if I drove a Ford. My last silverado lasted 17 years and 185k miles before the tranny went, so taking care of a little vibration isn't really a big deal to me. It's honestly not even that bad but I'd like it to be as good as it can be.
That's just the thing. You can't buy a single full size truck at this moment without known issues. They all have their issues. Ford, GM, Dodge and Toyota. It just depends on what issue you want to deal with. Personally, I think the Silverado is the best looking half ton on the road. It's interior is also of higher quality than any of the other manufacturers.

That being said, the shocks being bad are what caused my vibrations. I had two inches of play in one on the front and one on the rear. The only good shock was the one on my passenger side rear. The other front one had 1 inch of play.

Don't ask me how shocks can go bad at 24k miles but they did. Either that or they were defective from the factory.

The way I figured out it was the shocks was the fact that the truck actually road smooth when it was cold and for the first 5 minutes of driving. As soon as the fluid inside the shocks warmed up a little, it thinned out and they stopped doing their job. When I say they picked up every minor perfection in the road, I mean every single small bump and crack was felt. The shocks actually weren't doing anything at all on small bumps and cracks. The springs and frame would just eat up everything.

I don't trust dealer mechanics so I took it to a local guy (old school mechanic). After waiting for 15 minutes, he brought me one of my rear shocks and told me to push on it. It literally had no friction for the first 2 inches. I could compress it an entire 2 inches with my pinky finger. I said... "Is it supposed to do that?"... He looked at me and just laughed. He told me since the truck was still under warranty, I could take it to the dealership and they'd replace at least 3 of them or I could just pay him $400 and he'd put some real shocks on there.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I'm in a brand new 2017 Silverado Double Cab 2WD 5.3L Texas Edition for a loaner since Friday. It also vibrates at highway speeds. Not as bad as my single cab, but still enough to be noticeable.
The crew cab I had as a loaner twice before had no vibrations at all. Was also a 2WD. Friend of mine has a 4x4 double cab. No vibz either. Just wanted to share that info.

I own a 2017 1500 LT Z71 DC. It has no shake thus far at 11k miles. I have several friends with late model trucks, I’d say 1/2 of them say they shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no offense my friend, but you have been a member since 2009 and you still went and got yourself one of these vibrators?  [emoji20]   I hope they can get it figured out for ya. 

They don’t all shake. Mine doesn’t. I was aware of the shake on some of these trucks when I went to purchase mine. The test drive will tell you. I took a 15 mile test drive on all sorts of road conditions before purchasing mine. At 11k miles, I’ve had zero shake issues.
On the other hand, I test drove a new RAM that shook like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Obscenejesster said:

That's just the thing. You can't buy a single full size truck at this moment without known issues. They all have their issues. Ford, GM, Dodge and Toyota. It just depends on what issue you want to deal with. Personally, I think the Silverado is the best looking half ton on the road. It's interior is also of higher quality than any of the other manufacturers.

That being said, the shocks being bad are what caused my vibrations. I had two inches of play in one on the front and one on the rear. The only good shock was the one on my passenger side rear. The other front one had 1 inch of play.

Don't ask me how shocks can go bad at 24k miles but they did. Either that or they were defective from the factory.

The way I figured out it was the shocks was the fact that the truck actually road smooth when it was cold and for the first 5 minutes of driving. As soon as the fluid inside the shocks warmed up a little, it thinned out and they stopped doing their job. When I say they picked up every minor perfection in the road, I mean every single small bump and crack was felt. The shocks actually weren't doing anything at all on small bumps and cracks. The springs and frame would just eat up everything.

I don't trust dealer mechanics so I took it to a local guy (old school mechanic). After waiting for 15 minutes, he brought me one of my rear shocks and told me to push on it. It literally had no friction for the first 2 inches. I could compress it an entire 2 inches with my pinky finger. I said... "Is it supposed to do that?"... He looked at me and just laughed. He told me since the truck was still under warranty, I could take it to the dealership and they'd replace at least 3 of them or I could just pay him $400 and he'd put some real shocks on there.

That's crazy! Glad you got it worked out.

Dope

I work with guys who have Fords and Dodges who say they have shakes/vibrations at high speeds. Maybe it's not as common but it does happen.

These half ton frames are just so rigid now a days that they transfer the slightest amount of vibrations.

The only one I haven't heard of have vibration issues is the Tundra which makes sense since it's frame isn't as rigid.