Intellilink MyLink Open Source Software, Apps, etc

I had a 14 terrain and the infotainment system worked flwlessly. Nav, voice commands, phone synced no problems with iphone or android.

Upgraded to a high country, and this system lacks. I cant even get text to speech, wich was on the terrain and is even on my wifes 23k honda civic.

It just didnt occur to me gm would have a completly differnt system on the chev. I was happy how tje terrain worked, dissapointed when i started using it on the high country.

I take the blame however for assuming gm would have equivelent systems across the board. 30k higher msrp, system must be just as good or even better. Not so.

I think the key on this because it IS built with open source is to look towards aftermarket companies for solutions and not GM. Now adays installing a remote starter is as simple as actually plugging in a few wires and the proper brain box that connects to the vehicle via CANBUS system to program it. I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before someone comes out with an option to get into the intelilink system and basically do the same. Remote start / stereo companies will probably be the first to figure this out and start popping out options.

I just sold my 2014 Silverado and bought a 2015 Sierra. I think the 2015 system is slower and less responsive to the voice commands. There is no more HD radio either on the 2015 Trucks :)

Would be nice if someone would create a software "overlay" and put some additional music streaming apps such as Songza and Spotify; just to name a few. Pandora is nice, however their music selection is somewhat limited (1million) compared to Spotify (20 million), iTunes radio (27 million). RAM has 2-3 music streaming choices, its not realy rocket science to create a few more apps.

Yes, the iPhone crowd needs to have the USB Connection in order to get voice commands going; but I think this is an IOS limitation. Pandora also has to be "allowed" to play in case your iPhone is locked ( unless there is trick, I'm not aware of). Again this is something Apple should address as GM can hack into their software.

Iphone 6+ in a 2015 Sierra SLT here, No need for cables. I haven't figured out why everyone says this unless it's different on MY14's. I can stream music with Bluetooth via spotify/iTunes/etc, call/receive calls with Bluetooth, receive texts with Bluetooth. I can also send texts hands free with the steering wheel control/Bluetooth/Siri. Never hooked a charger/cable up to accomplish any of it. Never had to "allow" spotify to play when my phone is locked, it actually will quit playing when I hop out of the truck; hop back in later and it picks up where I left off without doing anything but hitting play on the stereo... Just my $0.02.

-Skeet

Some people like to have complete control from the screen. Its one reason o still use an ipod classic in my 04. I can do all the bluetooth stuff with my S5, but i dont want an iphone and many products integrate better with Apple. Off point a bit, but the point is, it is nice to have all your files and streaming all accessible without touching the phone.

• Like 1

Iphone 6+ in a 2015 Sierra SLT here, No need for cables. I haven't figured out why everyone says this unless it's different on MY14's. I can stream music with Bluetooth via spotify/iTunes/etc, call/receive calls with Bluetooth, receive texts with Bluetooth. I can also send texts hands free with the steering wheel control/Bluetooth/Siri. Never hooked a charger/cable up to accomplish any of it. Never had to "allow" spotify to play when my phone is locked, it actually will quit playing when I hop out of the truck; hop back in later and it picks up where I left off without doing anything but hitting play on the stereo... Just my $0.02.

-Skeet

I have a 14 sierra, other than texting, I can do everything on my iphone 4 through bluetooth

Edited by Sharpb
  • Like 1

Did the 2015s come with slacker radio installed? I saw a news release saying that slacker was coming to the Silverados, I connect it via Bluetooth and get album art and can skip from the screen and the sound quality is a lot better than Pandora but I was hoping there would be an upgrade to put it onscreen for the 14s.

Skeeter,

You say you can do it all from your iPhone without a cable but you never mention Pandora. Can you use the Pandora app with your iPhone? I can do all of the stuff that you mentioned without an iPhone cable but Pandora won't work for me. The manual says that you can use Pandora with Android and Bluetooth but the iPhone requires a cable. I presume that it's just a way for Apple to push us toward iTunes radio. I hate Apple's proprietary nonsense. It's just one reason that my next phone will be a Galaxy S6.

• Like 2

Pandora worked via BT, but no artwork visible, not able to like/dislike or browse playlists/stations though. Wired up you have full functionality in dash like you would on your phone as Chris mentioned above. On another note, I couldn't get spotify to work wired, only through BT would it play. That's fine for me as I just shuffle my music usually and skip to the next song with the steering wheel if I'm not feelin it. So yea pandora will work, but probably not how you want unless you have a paid version with unlimited skips.

Now back to our regular scheduled topic....

-Skeet

I was just talking with the owner of a Cadillac dealer about his 2015 2500 and my 2014 1500. I asked him about the apps and he said it will never happen. These are basically just the Cue system that came in Cadillac first with the same app promises. I got mine flashed to add text, nav input while driving, updated video play, and video while driving. If I didn't have the one Android the system can't seam to allow replies to texts with, I'd be completely content. One of the main reasons I thought about upgrading my phone last year, but overall I didn't see enough improvement of this one.

Edited by Crf450r420

I was just talking with the owner of a Cadillac dealer about his 2015 2500 and my 2014 1500. I asked him about the apps and he said it will never happen. These are basically just the Cue system that came in Cadillac first with the same app promises. I got mine flashed to add text, nav input while driving, updated video play, and video while driving. If I didn't have the one Android the system can't seam to allow replies to texts with, I'd be completely content. One of the main reasons I thought about upgrading my phone last year, but overall I didn't see enough improvement of this one.

Who did your flash to allow input while driving?

2015 Denali 3500 DRW, Michelin ltx, 4x4