Sign in to follow this  
MIZ14sierra

Intellilink MyLink Open Source Software, Apps, etc

Wanted to start a thread about advanced use of Intellilink (Mylink) software and get opinions/insight about open source, code, possibilities for customization, rumors of firmware updates, etc. The "claim" I've heard is that apps will be avaialable in the future, but it doesnt quite sound as simple and prolific as the google play store or itunes app store. There are some short threads about more specific issues like "custom ROMs" for android.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/155965-mylink-radio-custom-theme-design/?hl=%2Bopen+%2Bsource#entry1384343

Does anyone have any particulalry cool "ah-ha" moments with useful intellilink features they've discovered, or ones they'd like to see implemented? Or things they aren't sure how they work. I for one don't know how they overlay the doplar radar on my weather/nav map, for example.

• Like 2

The weather info is through XM I'd imagine.

• Like 1

That would be something if apps could be made available not through GM... Just look at how Android has changed computing... When the iPhone was new, androids were more or less a joke as competition. Open source turned them into what it is today!

• Like 1

I spoke to a GM infotainment service rep and he said nothing is coming out in the near future. I for one am disappointed by GM hyping this new system and almost a year later nothing new. Figures Govt Motors would be behind the curve.

That would be something if apps could be made available not through GM... Just look at how Android has changed computing... When the iPhone was new, androids were more or less a joke as competition. Open source turned them into what it is today!

Android was not released when the iPhone appeared - and Android has always been open source ;) Android Inc then Google a couple years later made sure to release the API and told you how to use the Linux SDKs before they got theirs up and going to program for the reengineering. Google once it bought the OS from Android has made everything available through the Apache system. I can remember when they were ahead of Apple and Microsoft then Apple up and released the swipe interface and the race to change it was fun and interesting.

Be nice to add simple things like pictures from your phone via USB/AUX plug, etc. I don't see how difficult that would be for GM, basically making the my link a mini computer; what it already essentially is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

GM is way behind the curve in the infotainment dept. Check out the Chrysler system that is in their trucks and it is years ahead. Heck, my old 11' could add pictures of my own, stream bluetooth from my phone and a few other things all the way back in 09' whereas the GM trucks are really just truly getting into it. I do like the MyLink system, but it has a lot more capability than is being utilized!

Anyone know why GMC doesn't have iTunes as an app? I mean Pandora is cool but even that requires my iPhone to be connected to a USB port. The Intellilink should be able to upload my iTunes. The phone app automatically uploads contacts when the phone is paired. It would be nice to sync my iTunes directly into the truck so I can play my tunes without plugging into a USB. Plus why are there < > arrows on my home screen if I don't have more than one screen of apps?

Has anyone figured out how to put pictures in for the stock contact photo?

This bugs the hell out of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know why GMC doesn't have iTunes as an app? I mean Pandora is cool but even that requires my iPhone to be connected to a USB port. The Intellilink should be able to upload my iTunes. The phone app automatically uploads contacts when the phone is paired. It would be nice to sync my iTunes directly into the truck so I can play my tunes without plugging into a USB. Plus why are there < > arrows on my home screen if I don't have more than one screen of apps?

They put those arrows on there to piss you off. To make you search and look and spend hours combing through forums to find nothing.

• Like 2

Yeah, Apple isn't going to let you do that. It's more of an Apple issue than in Intillilink problem.

If you have your iPhone paired with your system, you should be able to play directly from your iPhone via bluetooth. I haven't tried yet, but just read something about it in the owner's manual.

If you have your iPhone paired with your system, you should be able to play directly from your iPhone via bluetooth. I haven't tried yet, but just read something about it in the owner's manual.

Nope. In order to use it with voice commands u must be plugged into USB. Otherwise you have to navigate thru songs from your iPhone.

Nope. In order to use it with voice commands u must be plugged into USB. Otherwise you have to navigate thru songs from your iPhone.

Not entirely. You can advance forward and backward through playlists using the < or > arrows while listening through Bluetooth. I do believe you need to use the phone to change playlists etc.