I drove the new 8-speed yesterday

Zane

I'm wondering if they finally managed to put a drain plug on the pan...

so long

j-ten-ner

Doubt it. If anything they probably made it harder for the people who change their own fluids.

Do ya one better. Don't think this even has a dipstick. The tranny is filled and level checked from under the vehicle.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6L80E and 6L90E were considered filled for service life transmissions. They were not supposed to be opened any sooner than 100k miles as they are factory filled in a clean room so no contaminants gets into them.

I am looking forward to see the new trucks and hope the review is right in shift feel as if what was said is right it will suck to not be able to tune out the crappy factory calibrations.

I've owned 5 recent 6sp's.

My first was in the first Yukon Denali XL (06-07?), and it didn't work too good. Had to push the pedal way to much to make it work, and then would downshift 2 gears instead of the one that you wanted, making you get back off the gas again, back and forth.

Then I got the first 6sp in the 07 Sierra Denali, and it was far worse than the above truck, I hated it. Over the next year, GM did 2or3 update programs for this trans and they made it work a little better, but it still sucked.

The Yukon was at least driveable, but the Sierra was not. I dealt with it as long as I could and went and got new trucks.

The 10 Y-XL worked a lot better, and the '11 S-D worked a lot better. It still required way too much pedal to make it downshift, and it still went down 2 gears when you wanted 1, but it was at least driveable.

Overall, I rate the 6sp in the 07-11 trucks with the 6.2, very poor.

For the first time in 20 years of approx. 15 GM trucks, I actually considered Dodge and Ford, but the new 6.2-6sp kept me GM, and it is awesome.

The new 14 6.2-6sp-3.42 finally works!!! Downshifts good, upshifts good, all when you expect it to.

Yes, it still does some little weird things, but it is by far superior to any previous 6sp I've owned.

I live in hilly terrain, so we go up and down all day, everywhere, so it needs to shift well.

If the new 8sp is works better than the 14-6sp, then it should be spot-on.

Do ya one better. Don't think this even has a dipstick. The tranny is filled and level checked from under the vehicle.

That's how mine, and my Wife's Cruze's are. Drain intervals at 45k miles. Had to have the dealer change hers, cost $200. What a joke.

^ I have two '14 Silverado 1500's. 1x is my company's vehicle. 1x is my personal truck. Both are crew cab, SB, 5.3L LT's. Work truck is 3.08 2wd. My truck is a 4wd 3.42 gear. I think the rear gear has a lot to do with it. 3.08 makes the truck drives like a DOG. You notice it more in city traffic. My 3.42 drives like it's got a supercharger vs. the 3.08 truck which you have to floor it everywhere. The Tundra's have a 4.XX gear. The ram 1500 has a 3.23 with the 8spd for the lowest numerical gear. Ram comes with a 3.92 option. Point is GM needs to just stop making 3.08 gears. That's a old school way of trying to save gas. It's not 1977. There are more things on the table than gears and cam. Why not offer 3.42, 3.73 gears and ditch the pushrods and do a DOHC 5.3L engine with Direct injection and cylinder deactivation. That would be cool to see. the Tundra engine is a beast, but missing DI.

Want to drive the worst Auto Trans vehicle ever made on earth? Try my old company car. 2008 Pontiac G6 4cyl. That poor car had the worst shift logic known to man. Lugging, clunking, etc. And it was a FWD. Someone programmed that car for max MPG and never drove it. Thank GOD the Silverado's aren't programmed like that. I would never of bought it. Food for thought.... how much gas are we saving as consumers that have to FLOOR it everywhere in our dogged out 3.08 trucks vs a truck that has better gearing like a 3.73 which you don't have to floor. The 3.08 makes the truck's gas pedal feel like a light switch. It's either on or off kiddo!!!

this is why I love my 335i BMW 6spd with 3 pedals. Another good idea is give us a trans profile to chose. I drove a 328i loaner with start stop tech while my 335i was getting some stuff done. That car had 3 settings. Normal, sport and Eco. DAMN did they mean it. Not just a light on the dash. The car in normal was getting me 36mpg through Tampa at rush hour to the burbs. I tried econo and man was it a dog. Drove like the G6 mentioned above but it did get better MPG's. Sport mode was a beast. I was overly impressed by sport mode. Shifts felt like I should be pushing a clutch pedal. Held gears.. That 3 setting option was such a well tuned piece of machinery. Not by geeks, but by true German car people. I think most cars now need that 3 setting deal... 3.42 8L90 Silverado 5.3L would be nice:)

I wonder how the 8spd would perform with 3.73s on a max trailering package. Maybe I'll hold out for that. Anyone know when these will be on the lots?

Standard ratio is 3.08 with 8 speed 6.2, max trailer is 3.42.

I'm wondering if they finally managed to put a drain plug on the pan...

so long

j-ten-ner

They know that if they put a drain plug a lot of people won't change the filter.

Wow thanks Zane. I know the 6 speed in my 09 silverado and 2014 are some sloppy shifters. I cant wait to see how this is in the trucks. Any idea on when the trucks will be available for testing?

You are welcome. I'm not sure when I'll be able to try out an 8-speed pickup yet. Thanks for reminding me to send a few emails to find out. :cheers:

You are welcome. I'm not sure when I'll be able to try out an 8-speed pickup yet. Thanks for reminding me to send a few emails to find out. :cheers:

Speaking of & it does not matter to me, but know people made issue of it on Rams.

Are they going to stick with the column shift same as the 6 speed or switch a rotary dial or anything unique?

Speaking of & it does not matter to me, but know people made issue of it on Rams.

Are they going to stick with the column shift same as the 6 speed or switch a rotary dial or anything unique?

I'd think they would stay with the collumn. I really dislike rotary shifters.

Pretty sure they are sticking with the column shift.

Archived