2019 Silverado & Sierra Horsepower Figures Leaked Or Not?

Zane

2019-chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-v8-power-specs-1024x503.png

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

4/23/2018

Horsepower and torque ratings for the 2019 T1XX platform were published to GM's Fleet Order Guide Website over the weekend. However, as quickly as they were posted, on Monday morning they were gone. 

The FastLaneTruck jumped on the model order guide update early Sunday morning.  GM-Trucks.com then confirmed the figures were indeed listed in the guide on Sunday but before we could write this story today the numbers had been erased. 

The order guide *had* listed the 2019 engines power output ratings like this:

2019 5.3L - 355hp @ 5,600rpm & 383 lb-ft of torque at 4,100rpm

2019 6.2L - 425hp @ 5,600rpm & 450 lb-ft of torque at 4,100rpm

If you're aware of the current 2018 model ratings, that's a no gain rating for the 5.3L and 5hp gain and 10 lb-ft loss for the 6.2L.

Could that be correct? Did GM let the cat out of the bag too early or were the wrong figures listed?

Another part of this puzzle is that the 2019 5.3L will carry the RPO code of L84. That's a pretty well known Chevrolet small block designation synonymous for being the most powerful Chevy small block before the LT5 and famously produced 375-horsepower. 

Will we see the same for the 2019 L84 5.3L? Or will the power ratings stay the same? Either way, the engine doesn't carry the same RPO code as the 2018 model so we assume it's new in some sort of way. An exact same power rating seems unlikely but we wouldn't be surprised. 

And if you're wondering the 6.2L engine will wear the RPO code L87.

Only time will tell. 

Jeesh?  Just add the 8% percent to the numbers GM we know the overhead is 20% on LT's anyway......How many broke or had problems?  I bet it's .05% or less so probably the stoutest small blocks ever!  BUMP up CHUCK! BUMP EM UP!  By the way....my 5.3 is NICE but I could always use a little more?

Dynamic Fuel Management is the biggest known difference right now.  The question I think that would arise is does it have dual fuel injection like the LT5 does or not.  That has the potential to A) help on the intake cleaning side of things, and B) support more POWER.  They are being very hush still though.  Heck, the order guide makes note of there being a base engine and its future availability, yet GM still hasn't said what it could be.  All we know is 5.3, 6.2 and 3.0TD. 

GM has always played numbers cautiously and one of the first things I did with my 2016 5.3l Silverado was to install their GM labeled CAI. Right in the instructions it says nothing about about HP/TQ although it does

say it will produce 20% more flow...Just saying the little 5.3L can easily be modified to produce 375HP and over 380lbft and still keep the warranty intact...IMHO

I don't know why so many of you are going sideways. I assumed from the start that part of the 6 drive lines would be carry overs on the lower trims like the 4.3 and 5.3/6-speed but that doesn't look to be the case according to thsi. It clearly shows the two new versions of the 5.3 and 6.2 so even with the gradual 3.0 Duramax there's still three more to go. 

Based on the lack of the 4.3 on the fleet sheet it would seem like there will be a new base engine which still leaves room for two more drive lines. With the way trucks are advancing today it can be easy to forget how well the current 6.2 performs in the "old" version of the truck which is currently being built. Even the "gutless" 5.3/8-speed is nipping at the Ram 5.7's heels. How will a drop in 450lbs coupled with new refinements not improve performance and effciency?

With how tight lipped GM has been on this new truck it wouldn't surprise me to see a bombshell or two. With the two competent V8's, the 3.0 Duramax and likely a new base engine in the system where else can they go with the other two combo's? 

Edited by magnum74

6 hours ago, Zane said:

Another part of this puzzle is that the 2019 5.3L will carry the RPO code of L84. That's a pretty well known Chevrolet small block designation synonymous for being the most powerful Chevy small block before the LT5 and famously produced 375-horsepower. 

GM has been reusing engine codes for a while.  The outgoing L83 is also the code for the infamous Cross-fire injection motor from '82-'84 Corvettes and Camaros  

5 hours ago, olerodder said:

GM has always played numbers cautiously and one of the first things I did with my 2016 5.3l Silverado was to install their GM labeled CAI. Right in the instructions it says nothing about about HP/TQ although it does

say it will produce 20% more flow...Just saying the little 5.3L can easily be modified to produce 375HP and over 380lbft and still keep the warranty intact...IMHO

Do you have a part # for that CAI?  The one I saw wasn't impressive but maybe another look would be in order.  Rotofab and other CAI not covered I assume under warranty?