Is there a Metal Skid Plate for '16-'18 Sierra Denali??

I bought the 3 piece Underbody Shield (Part No. 23176882) a few weeks ago and had all 3 pieces powder-coated a matte red color that would match the red in the GMC emblem..

Fast forward to trying to install them last week and 2 of the 3 fit no problem, however the 3rd (which is the largest & most prominent one visually) did not appear to fit. The back bolt locations line up perfectly where it meets the other plate, however the front piece looks like it isn't long enough or shaped/angled correctly to reach what appeared to be the obvious locations for the provided threaded bolts. This Part No. as a standalone is 23135960 (GM OEM Engine Skid Plate).

My question is this: Does this item actually not fit? I understand the Denali trim level has a different lower bumper due to the LED fogs, but did GM seriously over-engineer this to the point that the internals/bolt patterns & cross members don't match up for these?!? 

Hoping someone can provide me some input of confirm I'm just being an idiot & that there is a way to make this fit, because I really want to get this installed or find the proper replacement ASAP..

I don't know the answer to your question, but I've been looking to upgrade the All Terrain plastic skids to metal.  I like your power coating idea as well.  But did you really get the parts powder coated before test fitting?

I bought the metal one as well, but it was part number 23176881.  I had to drill/slot out the two rear holes a bit on that front plate to get all 4 bolts in.  I could get 3, but the other one was 1/4" or so off.  Drilling out both holes to 1/2" and sort of slotting it got all of them to fit.  Not sure, might be the wrong plate if it's really far off.  Mine is a CC/std box, which might make the difference in part numbers.  So... not that helpful if you are far off, I didn't write down the part number on just the skid plate, so I can't help you there.  The plate I bought says it should fit all GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 or 6.2 V8's according to the part list.

There is another thread on this in the accessories and mods forum. 

I had had the same problem with the front plate. Could get the 2 front or 2 rear holes lined up but not all 4. Ended up enlarging all 4 holes maybe 1/4” and could then just barely get all bolts in. Once all are tight it looks and fits well without showing enlarged holes. 

Apparently this is a common problem. You’d think everything would line up with it being an official GM accessory. 

On 6/18/2018 at 4:18 PM, Mike GMC said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I've been looking to upgrade the All Terrain plastic skids to metal.  I like your power coating idea as well.  But did you really get the parts powder coated before test fitting?

I sure did. Read a couple of threads on here about the metal skid plates and the ones purchased covered my year, make and model. I had no reason to believe GMC would be dense enough to change the structural design of a specific trim level truck just because it has a slightly different lower fascia w/ LED fog lights..

On 6/18/2018 at 7:33 PM, Dr Awesome said:

I bought the metal one as well, but it was part number 23176881.  I had to drill/slot out the two rear holes a bit on that front plate to get all 4 bolts in.  I could get 3, but the other one was 1/4" or so off.  Drilling out both holes to 1/2" and sort of slotting it got all of them to fit.  Not sure, might be the wrong plate if it's really far off.  Mine is a CC/std box, which might make the difference in part numbers.  So... not that helpful if you are far off, I didn't write down the part number on just the skid plate, so I can't help you there.  The plate I bought says it should fit all GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 or 6.2 V8's according to the part list.

On 6/18/2018 at 10:49 PM, 2009GMC said:

There is another thread on this in the accessories and mods forum. 

I had had the same problem with the front plate. Could get the 2 front or 2 rear holes lined up but not all 4. Ended up enlarging all 4 holes maybe 1/4” and could then just barely get all bolts in. Once all are tight it looks and fits well without showing enlarged holes. 

Apparently this is a common problem. You’d think everything would line up with it being an official GM accessory. 

Based on these replies it sounds more like I just didn't give it enough elbow grease. It seemed to me that they were more than 1/4" off from reaching,  but I'll give it another go tomorrow and hopefully it works.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Heres pics of the factory skid plates. Info from member 2009GMC.  Kit part number 23176881 which includes the following items:

Transfer Case skid plate 20922755

Front engine shield 23135960

Middle engine shield 23135959

C5E73AF9-498C-4D27-B0EE-4D8575C33CA0.jpeg.18ad10eec804a9b2d1f6c5602493ca9e.thumb.jpeg.5ad0cfd41cb78280192a64f97216f91e.jpeg

Edited by stanz792

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/22/2019 at 10:10 PM, pewterliftedz said:

I just installed the 2 front metal skid plates on my 2017 Sierra today, they fit perfectly.

23135960 and 23135959

8DB68F3D-AA85-407B-9323-11DED08A4610.jpeg

FE18DAD3-44A2-466E-91C2-0CF9CE5FDFF9.jpeg

Did you have to enlarge the holes on the front shield to get it installed?  Just curious since others have mentioned some of the holes didn't line up on the front shield.

3 hours ago, jimbrown1 said:

Did you have to enlarge the holes on the front shield to get it installed?  Just curious since others have mentioned some of the holes didn't line up on the front shield.

Nope, mine bolted right up to the factory holes.